Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need help choosing an extractor

Cy Soto

Yesterday afternoon, while doing a live fire practice, the extractor's claw on my 1911 broke. I thought that choosing a replacement part would be easy but I am now overwhelmed by the choices offered. <p>I am looking for an internal extractor for a Series 70 1911 chambered in .40S&W. The gun is a Springfield "Loaded" that is only used in competition. Please help me choose one..!

Yesterday afternoon, while doing a live fire practice, the extractor's claw on my 1911 broke. I thought that choosing a replacement part would be easy but I am now overwhelmed by the choices offered. <p>I am looking for an internal extractor for a Series 70 1911 chambered in .40S&W. The gun is a Springfield "Loaded" that is only used in competition. Please help me choose one..!

I would say either get an Aftec, Ed Brown, or EGW. I can't think you'd go wrong with any of them. Also buy a spare and have both tuned for the same gun.

You kind of threw me with the "Overwhelmed" part. Not alot of choices for you. At least not in Brownell's. You need a 40/10mm specific one, You can fit a 9mm one but why bother. 087-130-500 (brownell's part number is a standard one, or the 466-001-040 is the aftec high speed one. I have never had problems with the ED brown and use them in my Single stack and Para 16-40. Series 80 extractor will work in both designs.

All the ones that I have found thus far are either for 45ACP or 9mm. Do I need to find one for 40S&W/10mm or will a 45ACP work?

45 and 40 use one kind of extractor, 9mm and .38 super use a different extractor.

Wilson bulletproof extractors are good, but the others listed in the thread are probably as good. The fitting is what you need to get right, and it will need to be tensioned again after initial run in.

Edited by bountyhunter

The Brazos $18 extractor has held tension for several thousand rounds in my 1911. It needs to be fitted and tensioned, but it seems like a quality part.
Bullseye. That's the point of a good (stock) 1911 extractor... key word GOOD extractor made out of good steel. Fit it, tune it, forget it for about 15000 rounds.

I'm sure AFTEC is good, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't think the 1911 extractor needs to be redesigned just because some gun makers put junk extractors in their guns and don't tension them.

The Brazos extractor is a very nice part, as far as conventional spring steel extractors go it is probably as good as it gets. The AFTEC is stronger, and Brazos uses it in a lot of the guns they build. Pretty strong testimonial. I used to be anti-AFTEC, until I really looked at them closely and used one. It is the better extractor when compared to a conventional extractor. Can a conventional extractor last a long time? Certainly, I have put over 75K rounds on a couple but all of my guns now use the AFTEC.

Just to throw a little useless information in this discussion: The without-a-doubt absolute best extractor I ever used was the first generation Rusty Kidd extractor (circa early 90's). The one he built before he developed the AFTEC. It was a self contained insert/tube which had a short hook which pivoted about a pin at the end of the tube...much like the Glock extractor. Unfortunately, it was very labor intensive to produce (so expensive) and also required the the extractor channel be bored out for the insert/tube...making it impossible to use a standard extractor. The true TIMEX of extractors.

A-G

:surprise:I really think that AFTECS are overated especially for a 40 and 45, Ed browns extractor

for the forty is as good as any Ive used and Dawson comes right in their with it.

any extractor by the name brand folks is plenty good for a forty, I have caspian

extracors in both my forties and they have been in the older gun for 13 years I dont

believe Ive ever changed it, Ive found over the years that a lot of extractor failures

are do to folks messing with them too much when not haveing a problem.

Jim

Sailors :sight::blush::devil:

You know that everybody is not manufacturing their own extractors. How many are selling Caspian extractors under their own name?

I doubt anyone is, The Caspian extractor has a different look to it than the other brands I have seen.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm worried about the small springs in the AFTEC....or shouldn't I? :unsure: I'm also currently unsure of which extractor to get. Wouldn't the regular extractor be more reliable because its just one part? The AFTEC and the SV are the same price.....i'm lost as to which to get :P