Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

#1 Lesson Learned

PaulW

Thought this might be cool to talk about. In your experience thus far, what has been your #1 lesson learned?

I'll go first. I've been shooting IPSC since 1997 and have loved shooting way before that. I started off shooting IPSC and was pretty clueless as to what it took to shoot a pistol fast and accurate. I worked, studied, and asked a billion questions to help improve my shooting. Once I started moving up in class I started to really feel the pressure that I had to live up to eveyone elses expectations. Before I shoot a stage someone would ask me, "so how fast are you going to shoot this"? Usually I would tell them I had no idea. Then there would be a wager going on as to how fast I would shoot it. Then, trying to push myself beyond my capabilities I would crash and burn. Now what do I do? I really, really try and be true to myself. I shoot to my expectations, which are very high, and no one elses. I shoot the best I can right then and there. takes a huge amount of pressure off. Makes shooting a whole lot more fun as well. I am hard enough on myself and try to be a perfectionist and don't need that added pressure.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is similar to yours.

My best lesson is to shoot MY game, and not worry or even think about placement or final scores or winning.

Before I shot at the Summer Blast I consciously avoided the preliminary stage results, as I didn't want to be thinking, "you can win the stage if you shoot it XXX seconds, X points down.

This strategy worked well for me for the first half of the day. So well in fact, that I began to think about results a little, thinking I might be in the hunt for M class placement at my first M class major match.

I made three mistakes on my last 4 stages...reinforcing my lesson.

Ahhh, the journey. :)

SA

This one is easy for me...

The #1 lesson I learned was to call each and every shot.

...and realizing that having the visual patience to call each shot is actually faster than just hosing.

(OK...that was two things...I gamed the topic a bit. :D )

Erik,

Funny that you say that ... what got me from B to M was to trade speed for sight focus and actually see the dot for both shots! You cannot shoot faster than you can see.

I guess we all reach the same point, just from different directions!

Leo

For me, the #1 Lesson Learned is to make sure your equipment runs perfectly, all the time, every time, in all conditions, no matter what !!!!! Once you take this factor out of your equation, it's actually really fun to learn all the other lessons :D

My lesson..is to make sure it stays fun...

I shot seriously for several years and it just got to be a lot of work..I quit for a couple of years and then slowly got back into it..now I am having a blast again...

then my lessons are:

Use equipment that works, don't switch anything before the match.

Relax

Call my shots, stay focused

If I don;t have too..makes no sense to stand out in the rain or snow..

and there you go...

The application of what I learned, which I continue to benefit from daily, can be divided into three realms:

PLAN EVERYTHING you know you need to see and do, down to the most minute detail.

Then TRUST and ALLOW (it to happen).

(Or don't rush.)

;)

Thanks BE.

So many of these have been very thought provoking. For most of the last year I have been waiting or in the midst of building my new open gun, what a nightmare, don't ask. I am so hungry to get back at it and was looking for some fresh perspective.

My most important lesson... RELAX TENSION KILLS... once i did that i had a btter time, and a FAR better score... i think it's tied with #1 for shoot solid, not fast, not accurate, just do what you know you can do.... i tend to win when that happens... go figure.

i don't have any big title's i'm a B class shooter. but i rarely shoot classifiers. and have beaten A class shooters and a master from time to time.

yes, this should be in tips.

funny noone came up with this yet:

I learned my no. 1 lesson in 1998 at the North American Champs: You can't do well without regular practice. Practice (dry and live, each) three times or more a week, and you'll go up in capability and learn all those cool things that were already mentioned.

--Detlef

Stick to one gun and one load: I have books full of load data, enough that it was seriously suggested that I could publish some of it, and it hasn't made me a better shooter. The gun and the load shoot better than I do, and that should be enough.

When learning a skill one must practice, study, practice, experiment, practice, refine, practice, ask questions, practice, accept advice, practice, reject advice, practice, and practice.

When applying a skill one must simply allow the action to happen.

Any attempt to influence the action changes it to practice. Practice is good.

There are two kinds of practice:

First is the endless repetition required to refine the movement.

Second is the looking within oneself to understand which imperfection inhibits the perfect execution of that refined movement, and by seeing the imperfection, allowing it to vanish which allows the skill to be perfectly executed.

My #1 lesson was when i asked to myself just before a difficult stage:

Q: Do you know what you have to do ?

A: Yes

Q: Do you know how to do it?

A: Yes

ok, so go there just do it.

After that day, I enjoyed IPSC much more. :)

From another perspective the Number 1 Lesson:

Choose to have Fun

Fun creates Enjoyment

Enjoyment invites Participation

Participation focuses Attention

Attention expands Awareness

Awareness promotes Insight

Insight generates Knowledge

Knowledge facilitates Action

Action yields Results

by

"Davis M. Love, Jr." (was an absolutely outstanding golf coach and mentor, check out his writings)

I can't say that there is a #1 lesson I have learned other than when I got told I was an F'in a_-hole back in 93 or 94. :unsure: Somethings change, somethings don't. I hope that is one that I have been able to make up for by helping others shoot better.

Other major lessons have been:

Mentally plan everything and then let go and do the job.

Nothing matters but the shooting, don't let other crap fill up your noggin.

When nothing seems to be working, get back to the gun and try to feel it again like it was the first time you picked one up.

Try everything and figure out what works for you. Keep an open mind.

Enjoy every moment you can on the range. Learn something everytime your there.

:)

Benos said:

"Then TRUST and ALLOW (it to happen).

(Or don't rush.)"

Those words apply to me so much, I had to make sure I hadn't already posted a reply and forgotten about it.