Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

#1 Lesson Learned

PaulW

#1 for me was when I learned that I had used Zen in my previous hobbies and didn't know it. Learning how to cultivate being in the "zone" and then doing it and being 'aware' have been tough for me because of the terminology used to describe it. Relating the process to my previous experiences turned the light on for me. It was very cool to discover I was good at something and didn't know it! Now if I can just learn how to teach myself the visual patience I so desperatly need..... (i.e. don't rush)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can really agree with PaulW on this idea. I too got caught up in the race to win and stopped thinking of my shooting as my relaxation time. I became so wrapped up in my strive to impress everyone else, I forgot to go out and have fun myself. I still practice like crazy and want to move up(I am a b open right now)but at the match I focus more on myself and less on what other people are thinking. That aside I would put my No. 1 lesson as getting comfortable with the gear you have and then with that worry out of your mind just focusing on shooting for yourself and no one else.

Competition teaches you many things but the most important lesson I've learned is that shooting is a purely individualistic activity.

You can not shoot well and....

1. R.O. at the same time.

2. M.D. at the same time.

3. Listen to others whine about the C.O.F. or the R.O. or the Club or ........

4. Be constantly exposed to negative input from other squad members (droning on about misses, shooting slow, etc...).

If I can avoid negative inputs, I'm o.k. ;)

May I have two #1 lessons learned ?

When I take the time to go to a match because it is what I want to do

I am making me better. And I have learned to choose to enjoy it no matter what.

Last month a shooting buddy and I drove about an hour to attend a monthly match which usually has two rounds as well as a rifle or shotgun side match.

We each signed up to shoot both limited and limited-10.

While the shooters meeting was going on it began to rain.

They asked me if I would RO a squad and of course I accepted.

Five long, muddy stages later my buddy catches up with me and asks if I still want to shoot the second gun. The rain is heavier now than when we started.

Now mind you I was cold, drenched, hungry and my squad of 11 had dwindled to 6 with a lot of whining about the weather.

It took me about two seconds to reply "This is a lot better than being at work!"

I was having a great time, being outside, shooting, getting in the necessary trigger time to make the jump from D class to GM. The sun might as well have come out because I was having a wonderful day and was oblivious to the sunshine warriors grousing and those who just don't understand "if its not raining your not training!"

The MD cancelled the rest of the shooting after the first round. And I decided to enjoy getting out of the !@#$ rain!

One of the most important lessons is that attitude is a choice. :D

From a newbie:

# 1: Dump magical thinking. At least in the lower classifications, equipment won't make that much of a difference. I spent $100s maybe $1,000s trying to find the magic equipment that would make me a MUCH better shooter. Doesn't exist. Stay with what you have until you master it and then move up. At least in terms of iron sight guns, equipment hopping doesn't pay off.

#2: Consistency is important. The gun should feel the same every time you shoot. Don't keep changing ammo or loads. At my level (C class) I don't perceive much difference between ammo that shoots at the same PF, at least after the first few mags.

# 3: Reliability is crucial. You can't be totally "present" on the line if you're worried about whether your gun will finish the stage.

#4: (Maybe the most important for me). Take in info from lots of different sources (read a lot and listen to seasoned shooters), sort through it and then find the grip and techniques that work best for YOUR particular body. If nothing else, IPSC has taught me a lot about my body and its peculiarities.

My #1 -

A good match is the culmination of a multiple of good stages. Never think about the outcome - or match placement. Attack each stage as a stage - leave the ones shot in the past, and the ones coming in the future. Focus on the stage you have to shoot now. Know it, see it, and own it. The overall score will speak for itself after that.

JB

Have not shot many matches yet, but I agree on not bothering about the scores during the match.

On my last match, I came with the goal of performing better than last time, compared to myself and nobody else.

After the first 2-3 stages it became apparent that I was doing OK and in the race for a no. 2 or 3 place.

The next stage I shot, I screwed up, just because I was trying too hard to beat the competition.

I wasn't focusing on my own performance anymore, but on that of my competition.

Only on the last stage I succceeded again in relaxing and shooting to my own best.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's something I came up with:

"Practice hard, then let confidence take-over."

It worked for me. I practice, refining my movements. Then at matches, I'll let muscle-memory do the work and take every shot with confidence.

Know what you're practicing for. Just by squeezing the trigger and firing a bullet is NOT practice. It is practice only when you know what you're doing. It needs to go into your head.

Know what you're able to do, and what you aren't.

With practice, comes confidence.

I have two lessons that enjoy equal status.

1. Relax and have fun. :D

2. Failing #1, make sure you have friends who will help you get that way. :rolleyes: If I'm standing on the line all serious, someone will make a comment to make me laugh. THEN I can shoot well. It got me the best classifiers I've ever shot.

L

• 1 month later...

# 1

Practice until it HAPPENS

Reaction WITHOUT thought...

the VOID

Don't complicate Simplicity with the influence of SELF.

If you aim at the target and miss ? - 5

A zone and miss ? -1

Center of the A zone and miss ? - 0

"AIM SMALL MISS SMALL" Mel Gibson ... maybe he shoots IPSC?

Actually you can miss fast enough to win.

Your finish then is purely dependant on your competition sucking. :-)

BTW I shot the IDPA classifier on video for v-5 in 64 seconds. That was including points down. If I had 10 misses, for an additional 25 seconds in penaltys, I still would have made master ESP.

Needs to be another class in IDPA. Sorry for the drift.

Take care and Happy Thanksgiving!

• 2 months later...

There are so many lessons, it's difficult to pick just one. I'd have to say the MOST important realization was that one second is actually a very long time, in which I can do many things. Thus, no need to rush; speed comes from smoothness and economy of motion, not rushing - and you've got all the time in the world to be smooth.

• 4 weeks later...

Once I touched the sky,...and then I fell flat on my butt.

The number one lesson I have learned is that we shoot only against ourselves. When I go to the range or to a match, I am there to shoot just a little better than my average. Not to shoot better than I ever have, but to shoot only a fraction better than I did the time before.

Ignore the supposed competition, and learn to shoot against your own personal average.

Dan

Dang it, Dan! That's a mighty fine post. Welcome to the forum. Great handle BTW. You can imagine one of the most frequently heard expressions that a kid named Sam heard growing up. :P

• 1 month later...