Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

#1 Lesson Learned

PaulW

You will sometimes shoot poorly and score poorly.

You will sometimes shoot poorly and score well.

You will sometimes shoot well and score poorly.

You will sometimes shoot well and score well.

There is an infinite spectrum of data points between those four corners, you will find all of them.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the #1 lesson learned is the ratio of splits to shot difficulty.

Being able to unconsciously change gears depending on the difficulty of the shot while floating through a COF is priceless.

Once you're in-tune with your limits, push'em harder. ;)

I see alot of 2-5 rule answers here....I will try to keep mine to one rule.

I just spent two weeks with one of the world's top shooters and put about 4k rounds downrange with a Beretta. I then went to a match less than 12 hours after leaving the training range! I pulled out my SV and tried to shoot it like a Beretta. Needless to say, that didn't work. I fumbled with the gun, turned the safety on several times while shooting, and just felt like I was in survival mode to even hit the targets.

All I did after that was shot what I knew. I didn't think about changing anything, or affecting my shooting in any way. I just shot the way I could.

I think that is the #1 rule I have learned about competition shooting, or any shooting for that matter! DON'T TRY ANYTHING "NEW" WHEN YOUR SHOOTING HAS BECOME "FOR REAL". Just let it happen. If you don't like the outcome, work on it in practice.

I believe changing your shooting, i.e. shooting faster, trying harder, etc. will only impact your performance negatively. The only time to change what you do behind a gun is when you practice!

So, to sum it up, just shoot your game and only "your game". Don't try any wazzu stuff at a match. If you don't like you speed, accuracy, movement, etc....change it in practice.

Edwin

Being new to this - you can't read enough, you can't ask enough questions, and you shouldn't buy a bunch of stuff since you don't know WTF you're doing yet.

Also, decide to have fun and not worry about how practical or tactically correct it is.

Paul

• 3 months later...

I would have to say that for me it would be "dont force it!" If you prepare properly, get as ready as you can and just (try to) relax and let it all happen the outcome will (hopfully) look after itself. Even if it doesn't it's still fun.

Just as a side note it's interesting to see how people see things differently. Some people list an action or technique i.e. watch sights, call shots etc is important. Others tend more toward dealing with expectations,how shooting feels, and the mental side of it... Just goes to show that everyone has their own take on what they see as being important or making a difference...

Another vote for the "don't rush it", and "don't force it" shooting technique. I told myself this before every stage when I first started. (I guess I AM still just starting!)I shot marginally, but was consistant.

Then on my fourth or fifth match, I showed up at the range during a pre match practice session. There was a small group of good shooters ( A and B class) who were all shooting at the top of their game. I was petrified, and was almost relieved when my gun crashed and burned during practice. After it was deemed that it wouldn't cycle, I bagged it and commenced to watch the match. The R.O. loaned me his backup gun, an STI limited gun that was totally unfamiliar to me. First stage, I watched the group fly through the array with dizzying speed. Having zero expectations for my self , I felt my shoulders slump as I realized I was getting my butt kicked severely today. With nothing to gain, I simply felt the gun, and put myself on autopilot. And finished the match second place overall.

• 2 weeks later...
NO ammount of preparation and training can help you if your blaster malfunctions.

WE are only in controll of so much after that its up to the IPSC gremilins and that dude called murphey.

Murphy is a pretty smart guy but then again there are equipment checks that can cut down/eliminate avoidable malfunctions.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

My number one thing right now is practice, live and dry, as much as possible. You need to practice well and learn as you practice, not just shoot 200 rounds in an hour. See what the point of every drill is and concentrate on it. Start slow in a new drill and see how to do it perfect then pick up speed. Oh yeah and don't forget to push yourself. I just got back into competitive shooting about 10 months ago after about a 5 year break. After my first match back I told my wife "I forgot how much fun this is, you might need to get a job." she didn't like that very much. Sorry to ramble. Number 2 HAVE FUN!

Jason

• 4 years later...