Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheezy Photo Radar Speeding Tickets

TaterHead

Highway 260 in Star Valley, AZ. Headed for Yuma Charity Match. Four lane highway posted at 45 mph. Nailed me, I don't even know when or where, at 57. $187.00 ticket!!!

Star Valley will never get any more purchases from me! No food, no fuel, no nothing.

Shooters, beware, the highway robber still lives.

Before long big brother will have cameras like that on every highway.... as if the friggn tolls weren't bad enough. Some states already have camera cars that they park on the side of the road for this purpose.

Edit: Removed off topic rant

Edited by JThompson

What do they do, just mail you a picture of you speeding along with an invoice? At least here in Alabama they still have to get out of the car and bring it to you....

Yep, just a surprise for you in the mailbox. They experimented with it in a city near me, they set up some mobile units and gave out something like 1000 tickets in just 2 or 3 months. After the wife of a fairly prominent local attorneys got one he took them to court and got the whole program halted because there was no appeals process. I think they may have also had to send everyone back their money also.

What do they do, just mail you a picture of you speeding along with an invoice? At least here in Alabama they still have to get out of the car and bring it to you....

The picture has to show your face. If it was somebody else driving, you can get the ticket dismissed. if it's you, you're screwed.

Got OnStar?! -grrrr-

Please elaborate...

Since I also was on that route, IIRC there was a pair of cameras facing one another, very soon after the posted speed change. I would expect one was for the rear, since not all states require front plates (including NM), and the other was on the windshield. Hoping nothing appears in my mailbox.

In Georgia, the ticket is not reported to the state unless it is 14mph over the posted limit. The local PD can still write a ticket for less, but it's just a fine and the proceeds go to the local PD. Your insurance doesn't go up, and the state doesn't get anything out of it. It is VERY frowned upon by the state if a town writes multiple tickets under an 11mph infraction, that's how they get labeled a "speed trap" and ultimately leads to them losing their ability to write tickets. More than one town in my area has lost their privileges.

Kinda on topic, and for sure hate forum material:

The people that bitch the loudest about Photo Radar Speeding tickets?

Cops.

On duty, but just patrolling. Not responding to any type of call or emergency.

They seem to think that they are exempt.

Grrrrrr.

Bill

Kinda on topic, and for sure hate forum material:

The people that bitch the loudest about Photo Radar Speeding tickets?

Cops.

On duty, but just patrolling. Not responding to any type of call or emergency.

They seem to think that they are exempt.

Grrrrrr.

Bill

They ARE exempt, don't you know? Ask any one of them and they'll tell you. In actuality, unless their lights are on they are not suppose to break the posted speed limits, answering a call or not.

Saw one of these on a very nice Mercedes in Scottsdale a few years back. Must have in my opinion if you live in an area with speed cameras.

Super-Protector_l.gif

They did an episode of Mythbusters on those. They don't work. And I can guarantee you if a cop spots one it is an instant ticket. In Oregon it's about a $240.00 ticket.

Yep, I hate photo radar. I think it takes away all the discretion from the officer issuing the ticket, does nothing to promote traffic safety and just seems to piss everyone off in general.

We do not have the speed cameras yet, but we have traffic light cameras. I drove a govt vehicle and now they make us sign for them every morning. Reason the management started doing that was prior to this system, some tickets were rung up and when they showed up at the office there was no proof as to who was driving which vehicle (even though we all knew WHO was) so they made the supervisor pay the ticket as he is ultimately responsible for the vehicles assigned to him. Now we can't go around the corner without signing.

On the highway the state troopers patrol the road pretty aggressively. A week does not go by without me seeing a traffic stop turn into them putting someone in the back of the car and finding some sort of contraband in the car. I wonder how many criminals were stopped in their tracks by an observant cop in a prowler car doing his job. I don't see how technology can replace that. The cameras will generate revenue, but not stop people with no insurance, other issues, etc.

Edited by Ted Murphy

Saw one of these on a very nice Mercedes in Scottsdale a few years back. Must have in my opinion if you live in an area with speed cameras.

Super-Protector_l.gif

They did an episode of Mythbusters on those. They don't work. And I can guarantee you if a cop spots one it is an instant ticket. In Oregon it's about a $240.00 ticket.

Yep, I hate photo radar. I think it takes away all the discretion from the officer issuing the ticket, does nothing to promote traffic safety and just seems to piss everyone off in general.

I got nailed in Beaverton in '97. Lame thing is my wife had just called me and told me she had been in a car wreck. This particular PR was on a little trailer they parked in a hidden area about 100 feet past the point where the speed limit changed from 40 to 25.

She new a Portland cop and a Beaverton cop and they both said they hated the idea, too.

Got my first 2 months ago. Umm. I forgot about it.

Some former hall monitor, bailiff want-a-be banged

on my door Sat. morning and served me. 46 mph

in a 35. Jeepers Mary and Joesph! Working hacks

get jambed with this s#it not because it's THE LAW

or that it's RIGHT. But because it's EASY.

Sorry, little hot flash there. I'll take a powder....

Jim M

Quite a response so far. Albuquerque does this photo crap as well, but only at major intersections, and there is signage to warn you, and rumble strips as well. They not only have speed cameras, but red light as well. The state requires that Albuquerque gives warnings.

Anyway, it may be cool to post cities that do this with hidden traps, and we all just boycott those towns!!!

Start with Star Valley, Arizona

If you get dinged in AZ (read the 101 in Scottsdale) and do not live in state you might "forget" about it when the ticket arrives in the mail. AZ law is that the ticket must be personally served or you do not have to appear. Mail does not constitue proper service in this state. Scottsdale will eventually send out someone to serve you if you live in state (sorry Jimmy) but they will not, the last I heard, go out of state to serve you so the ticket will die an appropriate death.

My wife and I spent a week in Savannah, Ga on vacation last year. A month or so after we got home, I got a letter from the police dept. with a citation for running a red light and pictures to show it. I knew when it happened and I was making a U-turn (legal) as the light was turning red.

I sent them my $76.00 and promised myself to remind folks every time I remembered it. If I lived in Savannah, I would have gone to court with it.

FWIW

dj