Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida Open 2009?

Well, I just shot five stages at the open 8-2. I started out a little rough forgetting a target on stage 9.

The stages are unreal.

Stage 2 must have taken hours to set up. Targets set up behind walls and ports. You can only see each target once miss your spot and you can miss the target.

I met JT I think he is going to live. He has a pocket full of mounts if you are lookingf for one.

I'm alive... Decided only a wuss would come this far am not shoot. Puked on second stage. Lost three and could hit steel for shit. Can't blame it on being sick... It was mental not physical.

Sokay though, made some new friend and still did my share of resetting. Saw a nasty 180 violation, I'm keeping my mouth shut as to what stage etc.

Hell, if you have to be sick might as well be 75 and wearing shorts, shooting with good peeps.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just hit Orlando Airport for the trip back to the snowy North. My friend AWLAZS and I really enjoyed the match, squad 28 was a real nice group of guys to shoot with. I shot pretty well, overall reasonably happy with all 10 stages. Many thanks to Frank, Rosie, Wadetrte, all CRO's and RO's, and all the other staff that worked the match. Things ran great both days and it was a great match to start the season off with. See you next Feb!

Stage finals are likely posted, and they're probably getting ready to do awards, based on past years.... We should hear soon - couple of hours or so, at latest ;)

Edited by XRe

Stage 2:

MVI_1500.jpg

Movies are being edited and uploaded.

Rest of photos are up as well:

http://gallery.casa-z.org/2009FLOpen/MVI_1499

That was a tough match. I had a good time though. I'd like to thank Frank and Tanner for being cool squad mates. I'd like to thank Frank Garcia for running a cool match.

Stuff I did well:

Most of my reloads were smooth and fast.

I developed a game plan for all 10 stages and stuck to it on most of the stages.

Only had one FTE on a 10 stage match notorious for FTE's.

Got all my hits on the movers except one, the clamshell on stage 3...

Aside from the FTE on stage 8 and the clamshell on stage 3 I had no mikes.

Stage 2 I saw all the targets and got clean hits.

My gun ran perfectly, nary a hiccup.

Areas I need to improve:

Technically speaking everywhere, but some areas to focus on... Tracking the front sight in recoil. Shooting Proddy I need more A's and fewer C's... normally my first shot is an alpha but my second shot is a charlie. I think this is a result of failing to reestablish a quality sight picture for the second shot, but I haven't ruled out mashing the trigger.

My movement was fairly good, but I need to work on "leaves" and "enters" to start shaving my time down.

I need a better understanding of "hit factor" and the balance between time and making up points. For example, stage 9, I blew. I fired my last string and drop the mag and rack the slide... the RO hesitates and says, "If you are done, unload and show clear?"making me think I'd left a target unshot. Sure enough I move my head 6 inches and see the last target. The "smart" IPSC player would have said, "aw shucks"... instead I do a lightning fast speed load, and shoot two Alpha's super fast. However, I'd wasted more time than I'd care to mention on a public forum. Needless to say, I should have taken the two mikes and FTE...

I'm getting better at mentally visualizing my plan and sticking to it, but "mental failure" cost me big points on several stages.

I shot the shoot-off and the first run I had a bit of adrenalin but I handled it well. However, when I shot against the winner of single stack, my nerves caught up with me, and I got two easy easy misses. So an area I need to work on is destressing before my runs.

atek3

PS I also wanted to thank two more people. Rene for showing me the angles on some of the stages, without your assistance I wouldn't have done half as well. Also, Bob Kasson for selling me handloads that ran 100% and made minor.

Edited by atek3

Videos are up:

Me shooting:

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

Stage 4

First Round of Shoot Off (I won)

Frank Cruz Jr. shooting:

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

Stage 4

Nicolas Blum (a top GM from Ecuador shooting) (Sorry TYPO: I said Uruguay, my bad)

Stage 1

Edited by atek3

Any results available yet? Those of us who had to enjoy the match vicariously eagerly await...

Joe Satterfield won Single Stack Division and the Iron Sight Steel Shoot-off

Abig thanks to Peter for his advice on stage break down and knowing all the while I was sick. I hope you don't get it mate.

Also hope I can put it to better use next time.

Thanks to all the staff Frank Rosie and a special thx to Bob Emerson designer of the now infomous stage 2! This one had Rosie kicking guys off the range at 7-8 pm trying to figure out where those 15 were. Thanks to RO Todd and"I'm gettn to old for this shit" On stage 2. They stayed within the written rule and still mananged to save a lot of people fte.

More when I get to a real keyboard damned iPhone text six for ud older dogs....

Thx again to all who tollerated me coughing gagging puking and stilltried to help. Thanks to my squad Fly40 Bob u know who u are... They picked up my slack... ESP Sun.

JT

Yeah, why aren't the results listed on teh USPSA or the Fla Open site??

They won't be posted on the USPSA site as it wasn't a sanctioned USPSA match I believe. The FL Open sight will get them shortly I'm sure. It was a very big and very long match and the guys putting it on worked really hard. Give them a chance to get themselves back together again and I'm sure they will be up today or tomorrow. =]