Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Live performances

ong45

The Keith Urban thread got me thinking, ever listen to a live performance and wonder why they even bother playing the original track on the radio?

I guess practice really makes perfect sometimes.

Dire straits' sultan of swing from the alchemy album , ( warning total 80's overload) If you can get past Mark Knopfler's mumbling, the guitar play rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZZpu6lf8KY

Eric clapton's wonderful tonight from 24 nights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OesVbAdGTdk

I don't want to have to throw this out there and ruin your thread for all challengers, but....

SRV Live @ El Mucambo.

The whole thing, every freakin' note. That guy was on another level that only he and Jimi have ever touched, Stevie was truly an open channel to the blues.

And Texas Flood on this DVD will run Knopfler, Clapton and the rest into hiding. Last half behind his back... just 'cuz he can. B)

SUKONTHISAWONTIME!!!

There can be only one. :bow:

Edited by dirtypool40

I realy like both of those, but realy dislike live recordings of songs / perphormances. Branford Mersalis played in Austin at a small club that was very good.

I think the live performance concert is like any most anything. = It sounds better, tast better , looks better = when you are with the rite person.

My favorite is " Have I told you lately that I love you"

I don't want to have to throw this out there and ruin your thread for all challengers, but....

SRV Live @ El Mucambo.

The whole thing, every freakin' note. That guy was on another level that only he and Jimi have ever touched, Stevie was truly an open channel to the blues.

And Texas Flood on this DVD will run Knopfler, Clapton and the rest into hiding. Last half behind his back... just 'cuz he can. B)

SUKONTHISAWONTIME!!!

There can be only one. :bow:

Live at the El Mucambo is simply the best

on CD if you can find Derek and the Dominos at the Fillmore, there is no other Clapton performances that can touch this.

His next best is Clapton at Hyde Park, his performance on "I Shot the Sheriff" is magic

Buddy Guy Live at the Checkerboard is very good

and there are some great Albert Collins live performances that will make the hair on your neck stand up

Live at the El Mucambo is simply the best

on CD if you can find Derek and the Dominos at the Fillmore, there is no other Clapton performances that can touch this.

His next best is Clapton at Hyde Park, his performance on "I Shot the Sheriff" is magic

Buddy Guy Live at the Checkerboard is very good

and there are some great Albert Collins live performances that will make the hair on your neck stand up

Albert King (Wooooooooooooo) Albert Collins (the Iceman) and Budro Guy are all great. Real, pure and original. Let's not forget the slightly more mainstream BB, still one of the greats, but more a blues orchestra. Only ones I got to see were BB and Buddy a couple times. Last time he was touring with SRV's band, and looking kinda old. He's still funky. Collins had that shrill, icey sound that cut right to it, but Albert King had that MONSTER tone. I still contend that while Jimi is the only guitarist at the same level Stevie was at, Albert King was a major phrasing influence.

I have lots of outtake and bootleg DVD's, these guys all loved each other and hearing them BS and jam is great. :cheers:

Ever see the Live from Tokyo? Deep in his drugged out phase, red suit, smokin' a pipe, comes out and NAILS Scuttlebuttin' cold..... This was only a few months before he hit bottom.... but there is a 15 minute VooDoo Chile that will curl your hair.

I got to see SRV only one time, after he cleaned up as my 18th birthday present at the tiny little Bob Carr Auditorium. Years later as I began collecting stuff, I found an article, his first interview out of rehab, and he was FIRE UP!!! Turns out he gave that interview back stagebefore I saw him. He came out and RAN US OVER for two and half hours, including a 20+ minute VOODOO CHILE jam as a second encore. After a little warm up EVERY song developed into a "OK guys, here's one of 1000 places I can take this one.... pay attention".

It was AWESOME!!!!

I also had a bootleg from Alpine Valley and played it till I wore it out. The guy just kept getting better, even clean. The "Goin' Down" from Alpine Valley was just haunting.

OK, I'm out, this wasn't suposed to be an SRV only thread.

Hmmm, tough one. Gotta agree with PAS44 on ELP Welcome back my friends. They played it after an intermission (remember those?) Not a pure pick though as this was back in my young, dumb, chemically altered days.

Peter Frampton in what was it?? '76? The whole concert was magical, in no small part due to the audience.

Nora Jones a couple of years ago. I have no idea how a woman that young has that mature a voice.

4th movement of Beethoven's 9th. St. Louis Philharmonic Orchestra with choir.

With the advent of streaming video and sites like Utube there are literally thousands of great shows and clips to watch. It's great to see some of the old grainy ones of the delta blues players like Lonnie Johnson, Leadbelly, Howlin' Wolf and of course Robert Johnson. Even more modern greats like the phenominal Clarence White and the forgotten guy that layed all the most memorable bass tracks for Motown, James Jamerson. All these cats were before my time so getting to see them playin' is way cool... In this I have waaaay too many favorites.

If we consider live shows that I've seen that's different.

First good rock show I remember was Black Sabbath and Blue Oyster Cult. Probably '79 or '80. It was billed as the 'Black and Blue' concert. Black Sabbath was the headliner, but it was the first tour with Dio as the singer. It was my first time seeing Sabbath and I wanted them to sound like the Ozzy days, they didn't. BOC opened and if it was a contest they wiped the stage with Sabbath in me and my buddies oppinions. BOC was crazy good! Seen them a few times since, but that night they just had it.

Next good one I remember was Alice Cooper. 84' or 85' in Daytona Beach. I had seen lots of shows by then, but never with that level of theatrics. What a showman and he did all the hits...

Next good one I remember was Blood Sweat and Tears. Out door show on a hill next to the St John's river in Jacksonville FL. 86' or so. I didn't really know of their stuff till then, but they had the crowd just goin nutz. I bought a greatest hits cassette after that and wore it out!!! Can you say marketing home run!!! lol...

About the same time I saw Gregg Alman in a smallish bar in Jax. He was singing and smoking at the same time which was wierd. But the thing I remember most is him beating the crap out of the organ. It was an old stand up church model. He was rocking it back and forth so hard sparks were flying from the back and the crowd was backing up in case he toppled it off the stage!!! At that time in Jax, mid to late 80's, the bands in the local bars rocked. The Van Zant family is from that town and every small band seemed to have a member of the family in it. Skynard was reforming at the time and it was the buzz of the town. Johnny and Donnie played in small bands in the area all the time. Had a bit of trouble with Johnny ( the current lead singer for Skynard!) at a bar just before a Bad Finger show. Seems Johnny had just made plans to be the new lead singer of Skynard and he and his current band were there kinda celebrating his new job. Not being from Jax and not knowing the god like reverance bestowed upon the remaining Van Zant's, me and my good buddy Jim Beam decide to start an argument with ALL of them about re-forming the band without the original lead singer and guitarist. They were nice enough to invite me out to the parking lot to talk about it more. I was good and comfortable ready to watch the show so I declined. Twenty years later as I watch video's of Skynard I wonder if Johnny writes a song about an asshat in a bar if he isn't talking about me!!! lol...

Saw lots of good shows after that. Nothing of much memory. Went to a metal fest and by accident ended up in the middle of a mosh pit. ( got out un-scathed!). Next good show I remember, believe it or not, was Journey! I was a fan of Journey in the late 70's and some in the 80's, but mostly they were chick music. ( which made me play them more in the 80's!!!) Around 2000 or so my soon to be ex wife talked me into taking her to an outdoor Journey show. I expected old guys faking thru the music that made them stars. Turns out that Steven Perry( the lead singer) was sick at the time. There were big signs everywhere apologizing for him not being with the band and that there would be a fill in that night. I'm thinking great! Not only do I have to suffer thru the best of Journey love songs, now I have to hear someone else TRY and sing them! The show starts and it's Steven Perry. I guess he recovered enough to do the show. Now I've seen/heard lots of good shows, but I've seen my share of bad ones. Perry looked like a skeleton. Whatever he was sick with had wiped him out. But I swear they played every hit they ever had and he was perfect! So perfect I began to wonder if it was taped, but he was talking and interacting with the crowd so often, even during songs, that it would have been super hard to pull a cover-up off. The show was incredible just from the stand point of hearing these famous songs done live so well...

These dayz I tend to like smaller venue shows. A former girlfriend introduced me to lots of Indie bands. Seen lots of shows by groups like The Drive By Truckers, Robbie Fulks, The Ass Ponies, etc... Great live performers with tons of talent. My favorite now is an unplugged acoustic show. Just something about the sound of an old wood box that makes my ears perk up...

Although I did recently see a local band at a super small bar that knocked my socks off. Don't remember the name, and I think it was just a one night mix of local players, they played some old Bon Scott AC/DC songs that shook the wallz. THAT was an awesome night!!!

I havent seen a live performance in many years, but this thread has brought back some memories. In High School growing up in Tucson AZ concerts were what we lived for. Rush, Journey, STIX, Bob Seager, The Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Charlie Daniels, SRV, Alice Cooper, ETc. By far my favorite when it came to showmanship was ZZ Top. I saw them every time they came to Tucson. One concert started off with a huge head behind the stage and huge white sheets covered the whole stage and ended in the nostrils of the head. All the white sheets got snorted up the nostrils to uncover the stage. (I dont condone what that stood for but it was a way cool affect way back then) and they used lazers in their show that were spectacular.

Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive: Believe that this was recorded in 1970 at the Winterland. I have boots of these shows that sound very similiar to the released album in playlist and accoustics.

Jimmy Buffet - You Had to Be There: For Buffet fans this is THE show that defines his style and there is no substitute.

About the same time I saw Gregg Alman in a smallish bar in Jax. He was singing and smoking at the same time which was wierd. But the thing I remember most is him beating the crap out of the organ. It was an old stand up church model. He was rocking it back and forth so hard sparks were flying from the back and the crowd was backing up in case he toppled it off the stage!!!

I have to say something as a keyboard player

Gregg plays a Hammond B3 through a Leslie. While they were found in churches and living rooms they are also found played on almost every other rock hit in the last 60+ years. It is like a 59 Les Paul or pre CBS Strat in the guitar world. Its sound is amazing. Gregg is one of the Masters of the B3.

Keith Emerson used to stab his with knives and make them blow up too. Pete Townsend didn't get to have all the fun

PS A B3 is 400 lbs so if Gregg was rockin it he is no light weight

Edited by BSeevers

Growing up around Houston, Texas, I got to see a lot of live great performances.

The big Budweiser Fest in 1989 was very memorable. SRV opened for the Who. SRV KICKED A#S !!!

There were a lot of great ones as well, but at the Cynthia Woods Pavillon in the Woodlands, just north of Houston I saw Fire hose open for Tesla. During a short break, the guitarist signaled to a roady to bring something out, it was a Heil talk box (Peter Frampton style) For all the younger kids there that never saw Peter Frampton live, they got to hear him that day. Frank Hannah played "do you feel like I do" note for note, word for word. It was awesome, we had 2nd row just off center seats.

As a guitarist it was always easy to tell that Tesla's guitar player had grown up listening to Peter, because of his style and some of his riffs he used in his own songs.

Some bands perform great live and some do not.

RUSH!!!!!

I've tried thinking of a band that's been around 30+ years (and in their 50's) that's actually getting BETTER....can't think of one. The Eagles, maybe....

Rush In Rio

+1. I saw them on the Vapor Trails tour at an outdoor arena in San Antonio. Amazing musicians. Alex's guitar work is very, very underrated IMO. Neil is just...well...the TGO of the percussion world (actually, I'd be that his personality is a bit more like BE's ;) )

BB King at 82 still does a killer show and his orchestra just rips.

VanHagar during the F.U.#.K tour in the early 90s was awesome. They closed covering Rocking in the Free World and blew the roof off.