Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front sight

ebg3

Was shooting today and lost my red fiber from my Dawson front sight. I didn't have any to replace it with but I had a .090" wide Dawson front sight in my box(I've been shooting a .125" wide sight). I put the narrow sight in, sighted in and started shooting. I don't like the narrow sight. I see now why I put the wider sight in. I was getting too much side to side play/hits with the narrow sight. I figured I'd post and ask what width front sight everyone prefers on their 5" limited guns.

I used to run Hi-Viz, which I think are about .125, but, I am slowly switching to Dawson .90

Somewhere along the line, I ended up with a .100 for STI, but, I can't remember where it came from.

Hello: I would say it depends at what distance you are shooting. I was using the 0.125,0.110 Dawsons and have gone to the 0.090 now. I also have a Caspian 0.070 on a STI and love it. For me the more light coming through the sides of the sight the better. Thanks, Eric

I too, like a lot of light around my front post. But most importantly, I do not want the front sight blocking or covering the head at a 20 or more distance. Too wide of a front sight will totally block the head from view. I use the head as a reference point for 40+ yd shots.

Changed my .090 Dawson to a .125 Dawson a couple of weeks ago. Been wanting to for a long time. Found out that for me it's better if my front sight is about .010-.015 wider than the rear notch. Forces me to line up my sights and less daylight between is less room for error on my part :)

DonT

I remember when I switched to the .125 from the .090 I felt a bit slower. Yesterday I realized I've changed to a six o'clock hold because of the wider sight. I don't think this is bad, just different. I have no doubt that if I started shooting the .090 sight I would get used to it again and be OK. For now, I'm sticking with the .125 sight. Thanks for everyones' input.

That Caspian sight is on my limited guns and I love it. Lots of light and lots of information. Wish I could find one that size for a glock. and while we are at it I would like a deeper notch than I have on my Dawson Glock rear sight.

.... I put the narrow sight in, sighted in and started shooting. I don't like the narrow sight. I see now why I put the wider sight in. I was getting too much side to side play/hits with the narrow sight.

When I used to shoot Production I didnt move to a thinner FS, I just opened up the rear sight a little bit on my G17 with Dawson sights, and I found that my speed increased by 10 or 20% but my accuracy declined .... enough that I started to notice myself getting more C's and D's.

I like the numbers dirtypool40 posted up above for sizes. Not alot of open light on both sides, but enough to let me go at full speed, but without sacrificing any accuracy.

I've got to have on of the narrower front sights......

I get a quicker sight picture when I can see around the front sight and line it up.

This is why I hate the trijicon night-sights on all of my Glocks......

On a 5" gun I like a .110 Bo-Mar and a .075" front. I want the light bars on the sides of the front sight to be equal to the width of the front sight. For me it is the fastest and most accurate, PLUS I get to see what is AROUND where I am shooting. Partials, hard cover, no-shoots, you can't see that stuff and KNOW your bullet isn't going into them unless you can see, big light bars let me see.

My STI Spartan sights are actually kinda weird ............ the Front FO sight is .125 and the rear factory LPA sights are .115 :surprise:

No wonder I've been shooting 95% of the available points here recently. :D

That's not a wierd setup. That's perfect for me. OK maybe I'm wierd :wacko::D

DonT

I tried a .090 with FO and just couldn't get the accuracy I wanted. As my eyes get older and the vision blurs a bit (it gets harder to maintain the focus also) the thinner FS gave too much room for the blurred pieces to look real. A .125 seems a bit easier to match up and at speed I've been seeing pretty much just the FO anyway.

Try some super glue on the FO next time. I've not had one come loose when it glued in, yet they come out with heat and a punch pretty easy.

I currently use a .125 rear and .110 front which would be .015 difference. I was using a.090 and found it to be to narrow. This is on my SS.

My limited gun has a .115 rear and .100 front which is also .015 difference.

I have found (for me) that this combinations works well for all types of shots. With the .090 front sight I had trouble with longer and tighter shots.

Thanks

BK