Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF 100 Primer Filler

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like the Vibra Prime was the way to go. Why would they discontinue if it was so good? I'm new to all of this (just got my 550 this weekend) but for such a fast loader, it's surprising the standard way of filling primer tubes is sooo slow. I can't bring myself to spend $300 to load primers. :)

i was thinking the same, but after hearing bout that guys finger that got taken off. i think $300 is pretty cheap... ;) id rather spend the $300 on a primer filler than $300 on a rubber finger tip.... Doug thanks for the offer. if its good enough for you and C. Martin its good enough from me. i think ill order one this week. thanks -chris

so whats the deal now? the problem has been fixed from dillon and it works? or do you still need a dimmer?

im thinking bout one of these after reading the finger thread. -chris

The new models have a dimmer knob built into the control box. The paper that came with mine indicated that new control boxes were available to upgrade older models if desired. Mine's been working pretty good but it's gotta be on the slowest setting for WSR primers. I've had no flips in about 500 rounds so far.

Thomas

so whats the deal now? the problem has been fixed from dillon and it works? or do you still need a dimmer?

im thinking bout one of these after reading the finger thread. -chris

The new models have a dimmer knob built into the control box. The paper that came with mine indicated that new control boxes were available to upgrade older models if desired. Mine's been working pretty good but it's gotta be on the slowest setting for WSR primers. I've had no flips in about 500 rounds so far.

Thomas

My 2 year old filler is working fine with the dimmer box that I had made for a dremel 30 years ago.

I painted 2 marks on the knob and 2 on the plate with a label indicating large and small primer.

HPIM1444.jpg

HPIM1443.jpg

The new models have a dimmer knob built into the control box. The paper that came with mine indicated that new control boxes were available to upgrade older models if desired.

Sent an e-mail to Dillon about a rumor of an upgrade and if the rumor is true. Their response on the rumor of an upgrade:

It will be true in a month or so. Just need to get instructions written and printed.

• 2 weeks later...
i was thinking the same, but after hearing bout that guys finger that got taken off. i think $300 is pretty cheap... ;) id rather spend the $300 on a primer filler than $300 on a rubber finger tip....

Do you have a link to this info on the finger?

I too agree my finger is worth more than $300. I guess THAT's why they discontinued. I'll stick with the manual way for now. ;)

• 2 months later...
:wacko: Bought mine in October... should have waited 2 months !!

Does the upgrade kit work with international 220 Volts units ?

Any pictures ? (no picture yet on Dillon website)

I bought mine in April 2009, got a unit without rheostat :-(

However, I must admit that it works absolutely flawless even without it.

I test-loaded some hundred primers with is, checking, if they went into the tube with correct orientation. And they did! Not a single upside down.

I made a short demo which can be found on youtube for those interested:

Is all the Vibra-prime love in this thread for real? I bought one years ago from Midway and it NEVER worked worth a damn.

Yours may have been defective.

Mine runs great and I use it when I'm loading 38SC cause I don't want to throw away a good piece of brass with an upside down primer.

I just got the rheostat from Dillon. Haven't had time to install it or check it out. Plan on using the RF100 only when reloading 9mm and .40. Throwing away those cases isn't nearly as painfull. If I run the RF100 for a while without issue, I'll probably switch over completely.

• 3 months later...

Well I got a dimmer and the filler screeched away pretty much as usual when I tested it. Few days later I was going to finally get it to fill the tubes without flippers - and then it died. :unsure:

Haven't moved since.

Picked out the electrical board in the switch, and found that one of the .. thingies that look like small fuses seems to be defect, no connection there.

*sigh*

Guess I'll have to write a Pretty-please letter to the guys at Dillon.

Oh, well, much too much money to spend anyway.

Siphon.

Edited by Siphon Odesse

• 3 months later...

Don't even think about it...just get it!

I just installed one and now I can slow the machine down enough that the upside down primers don't get "carried" by the cut outs to flip the primers over...havn't had an upside down one in the last 3 or 4 thousand.

Money well spend...I know longer hate my primer filler

Hello: I think I am going to upgrade my RF-100 with the rheostat. I have been getting alot of primers not dropping in the tube. I am not sure if it may be the Winchester primers doing this though. I guess it is worth the price to try it. Thanks, Eric