Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Long Did It Take?

JimmyZip

I've been around guns and shooting all my life, but I just joined USPSA this year. I was wondering how long it has taken you guys to get to your current rating. Also how often you shoot, dryfire, and the time you spend reloading. Am I in a hurry? Not really, just curious what kind of time investment you are making to get somewhere in this sport.

I do like the people, and I enjoy myself, but I like to compete also. JimmyZip

It takes people all different times took me abotu 5 years from initial start to make GM but fhe first couple weren't real serious about 2 years once i started practicing. as for how much. practice... not much in the winter couple hundred rounds per week getting ready for matches...... Reloading... not much. but enough to justify in my opinion a dillon 1050 I have shot more than what i do currently, and probabally will this year.

I've been around guns and shooting all my life, but I just joined USPSA this year. I was wondering how long it has taken you guys to get to your current rating. Also how often you shoot, dryfire, and the time you spend reloading. Am I in a hurry? Not really, just curious what kind of time investment you are making to get somewhere in this sport.

I do like the people, and I enjoy myself, but I like to compete also. JimmyZip

You should get a lot of varied responses from this question so I guess I'll be the first. I too have been shooting and around guns all my life and somehow??? never knew what IPSC or USPSA was until 2 years ago. I saw a video of our local club shooting on a local TV channel and thought wow, that looks like fun and "pfff", I can do that :rolleyes:

I have been shooting local matches with our club for 19 months. 3 Sundays per month, 4 if there is an extra Sunday in that month. No live fire practice to speak of, only local match. If it's too windy to shoot a match then sometimes we will set up steel and shoot but not really what I would call practice or drills. I had not really dry fired until about 1 month ago when I wanted to play around in production for awhile and had to learn how to get that darn magazine into that little tiny opening. :P

Started out my classification in "D" and quickly went to "C". Been stuck there ever since. <_< It's my own fault. Don't think that this is the norm. I think PB went from "D" to "M" in 2 years or so, I may be wrong but hopefully he will jump in and be able to help you out.

Your going to get out of this what you put in. It's as simple as that. I don't put in enough dry fire time, I don't spend enough time working on my weaknesses, and I haven't gotten to the point where I'm ready to break bad habits and re-learn the right way. And so I will stay here in "C" class until I am more committed to move on.

Good luck,

DonT

It will vary based on your initial skill level, your dedication (obsession), your natural abilities, training, and where you want to take the shooting.... Lots of variables, lots of answers.

I have shot firearms since I was 11 y/o (25+ years). Shot competition trap and skeet as a teen. Currently 19 years of military, and 9 years of Federal LE experience. I think the military and LE shooting acutally was a push of good and bad, but anyway... Started shooting USPSA in March 2006. I was initially classified in C class production. I became infatuated very early on and shot 15-20k rounds the first year. I have slowed since then due to my move to MD, but have dry fired a couple of times a week since I started. I am currently 6% away from Master in production division (otherwise known as A class), and just dabbled in L-10 and Limited.

JZ, do you mean get classified or move up in classification? Each person is different as far as moving up. Some are naturals - I've known and shot with some of them. Others it takes lots of time and ammo. Me, I've been competing for over 25 years. Started out as C and haven't moved up because of all sorts of things no matter how hard I tried (am 61 now).

It took me about 2.5 years to make Master, but I had a 6 month break in there. I have done countless hours of dryfiring, but not much livefire training other than matches leading up to the time I was classified. Last year I did quite a bit livefire training in conjuction with matches, but not much dryfiring. This year it looks as though I am going to be back to the "more dryfire- less livefire". So we'll see....I do have alot more major matches planned this year though. :)

Joined USPSA in Jan 07'. I shoot 2 steel matches prior to that, but have been into shooting, mostly rifles, before I started in pratical shooting sport. Started shooting Limited (minor) and got my C card in March 07'. Switched to Production and made B class in April and just my A card in Oct 07'. I switched to Open and just missed getting my A card in Nov so I am still B in Open, but A is probably 1 classifier away. I know I can make M by the end of 08'. I try to shoot 350~500 rounds a week, and shoot at least 1 match (150 rounds) per weekend. I dry-fire a couple of time during the week no more than 30 minutes a session. I spend about 2 hours during the week reloading (do it on Monday, don't wait for Friday night, and I usually try to keep a 2 weeks supply of ammo on hand in case of breakage and getting parts for my press). Just like anything, the only way you get better is by doing the work before the match(game).

Started in '94. Got my GM card last year. Of course, I had a 6 year break in there... and from '94 until '97, I wasn't very serious about it, and only started working hard at it after the '97 Nationals.

I started shooting with some regularity in 1995. Started Action Pistol in 99 at a non-USPSA club only shooting the monthly match. Joined USPSA in 2001 and first classification was B in Open. Started shooting limited in 2002 as a B. In 2004 I stated shooting one match per week and became an A in open in May 2005. Made master in both limited and open in mid 2006 and have been there since.

Edited by TMC

• 1 month later...

I started shooting IPSC in June of 1980, joined the "new organization" USPSA in 1986......the A446 is real. I was 26 in 1980, practiced for a few years. Got into gun plumbing in 1982....made a choice to work on guns or practice. I like the mechanical end better, was never athletic :D . So, shot matches, and hammered on pistols, rifles and some shotguns for several years. Practice was the first couple stages of every match...and pretty much still is.. Oh, I took 10 years off from this game, and played others...highpower rifle etc. I even sold all my "open" guns prior to an open division. So, I guess the answer to your question is 27 years to get to B in Limited. There were no classifiers before 1993 or 1994, just shoot matches.

Shoot to the ability that the rest of your "life" allows you to. As my long time friend 9X21 says, enjoy the ride! :cheers:

I just looked back and I started USPSA in Feb of '07 as 'D' in Production. Shot L-10 over the summer. Made 'C' class in October. When the next classifications come out I should have 'C' in L-10 and Limited. Speed is my major issue. Trying to unlearn 45 years of trying to put the second shot through the same hole as the first. I'm working on recognizing an 'acceptable sight picture'. Everyone is different.

Edited by pas44

Two years later I had an A card and 3 B cards. No live fire practice, but I did dryfire regularly for about 2 months the first year. Now the only shooting and practicing I get is in the matches. I work 50+ hours a week at my day job and 30+ hours a week on my side job, I just don't have time to do anything but work and shoot a match here and there. I am going to pick up at least one and maybe 3 M cards this year, all it will take is a little discipline on my part to get a little dryfire and a little practice in. I just need the discipline to put myself first a couple hours a week....

Two years later I had an A card and 3 B cards. No live fire practice, but I did dryfire regularly for about 2 months the first year. Now the only shooting and practicing I get is in the matches. I work 50+ hours a week at my day job and 30+ hours a week on my side job, I just don't have time to do anything but work and shoot a match here and there. I am going to pick up at least one and maybe 3 M cards this year, all it will take is a little discipline on my part to get a little dryfire and a little practice in. I just need the discipline to put myself first a couple hours a week....

Same here. Started in 1986 and currently in "A" class. In the beginning, didn't have too many resources to seek out for improvement. Now there is everything out there anyone would need to improve (books; videos and classes from GM's) just gotta find/make the time.

As it has been stated earlier, "life gets in the way"

Barry B)

Joined USPSA late 04, Didn't shoot but one local match until 05, Finally shot enough classifiers to get classified by September 05 in C class. Went to B right away. Made A in March 06. All in limited.

Took 6 months off due to injury, came back shooting Lim10 in 07, now A class Lim 10. Starting open now and working on getting classified.

Reloading is spuradic, load a whole bunch of one type to last a while. Dryfire is on and off, more off than on.

Fired probably 7-8000 rounds in my time of USPSA, that includes matches and practice.

I do plan on more dryfire and live fire this year. Have already started doing such. I plan on A - M in open this year and looking toward M in limited.

Good Luck !

It is very addicting :devil:

Been shooting for just over 3 years and I'm currently a B in open. I'm averaging 10K rounds/year downrange and I don't dryfire. I only make it to about 12 matches a year.

I wish I could get some more range time and make it to more matches but stuff always comes up.