Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA purchases Steel Challenge

ExtremeShot

I was listening to Michael Bane's podcast (from itunes) this morning and he announced that USPSA purchased the Steel Challenge. We regularly shoot Steel at our club and it's great practice for the classifiers. It's easy setup and it's weather friendly. I think the Steel Challenge will be a great fit with USPSA.

Darren

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true, and we couldn't be happier about it.

:cheers:

Mike Dalton and Mike Fichman have [obviously] done an amazing job, growing this match from concept to world-class event, and then re-growing it when they took it back over a while ago. We (USPSA) have big shoes to step into, but... we believe that with hundreds of clubs and thousands of members, we have a lot to add to the equation, and we're committed to making the match grow and succeed.

On a separate note, just wanted to pass along my personal appreciation for the men who made this possible. Other than having crossed paths at a couple of SC matches, I had never spent any time with "the Mikes". I had occasion to spend a weekend with them in California last month, in the course of working through some of the details of the match, and... well, I came away from the weekend feeling like I had two new best friends (four, if you count their lovely wives!). I cannot begin to tell you how gracious and open they were, and how excited they were about helping USPSA succeed with "their baby". They don't make men like this anymore, and I'm delighted to have the chance to work with them. We will do our absolute best to make them proud!

Bruce

Edited by bgary

This will not turn out well.

We hope it will.

One of the key decisions we made, early on, is that we are *NOT* going to turn it into "USPSA Steel". The Steel Challenge will continue in its current form, with the same rules, format, flavor, prize policies and everything, helped by the fact that "the Mikes" have agreed to work with us through the 2008 match to make sure we "get it right". It definitely isn't broken, and we don't want to break it.

This is a big step for USPSA, and we're committed to making it "turn out well". This is not about assimilating SC into USPSA; this is about expanding USPSA to other types of practical shooting games, and learning how world-class matches have gained such success so that we can bring those learnings back to USPSA. :bow:

b

I hope this turns out well for both sports, however I have some real questions on logistics. USPSA bylaws will have to be revised in order to handle the administration of this match.

Will this be another match that is managed at the sole discretion of the President?

Part of the draw of Steel Challenge is that it is always the third weekend in August and has always been at Piru. Will USPSA now begin to move dates and locations? Steel Challenge is a shooting "event". We were overwhelmed the first time we went and could not belive the atmosphere. There are very few ranges that can handle the total event. Eight bays for the main match, eight bays for practice, and another eight to ten bays for side matches and other events going on. If any of these things are cut out then the match suffers.

The SC prize table and awards have been unbelievable in comparison with USPSA matches. Will SC pull money and recognition into USPSA or will USPSA drain money out of SC.

These are just some of my observations having been involved in both sports.

Nicely stated, Bruce. I'm all for USPSA branching out, and it sounds like this was done right to start with. I'd like to be one of the first to volunteer to help, if needed. With enough willing hands, it should turn out quite well.

Troy

One change I would like to see is "Area" and "Sectional" level steel matches. Having only one major match (or two if you count the Florida match) kinda stinks. Additionally, not all of us can afford to travel to California or Florida.

DM

One of the key decisions we made, early on, is that we are *NOT* going to turn it into "USPSA Steel". The Steel Challenge will continue in its current form, with the same rules, format, flavor, prize policies and everything, helped by the fact that "the Mikes" have agreed to work with us through the 2008 match to make sure we "get it right". It definitely isn't broken, and we don't want to break it.

This is a big step for USPSA, and we're committed to making it "turn out well". This is not about assimilating SC into USPSA; this is about expanding USPSA to other types of practical shooting games, and learning how world-class matches have gained such success so that we can bring those learnings back to USPSA. :bow:

b

One change I would like to see is "Area" and "Sectional" level steel matches. Having only one major match (or two if you count the Florida match) kinda stinks. Additionally, not all of us can afford to travel to California or Florida.

DM

b

I started discussions today with a Club in Area 8 to hold an Area 8 Steel Challenge Championship.

Alan Meek

I hope this turns out well for both sports, however I have some real questions on logistics. USPSA bylaws will have to be revised in order to handle the administration of this match.

Will this be another match that is managed at the sole discretion of the President?

Part of the draw of Steel Challenge is that it is always the third weekend in August and has always been at Piru. Will USPSA now begin to move dates and locations? Steel Challenge is a shooting "event". We were overwhelmed the first time we went and could not belive the atmosphere. There are very few ranges that can handle the total event. Eight bays for the main match, eight bays for practice, and another eight to ten bays for side matches and other events going on. If any of these things are cut out then the match suffers.

The SC prize table and awards have been unbelievable in comparison with USPSA matches. Will SC pull money and recognition into USPSA or will USPSA drain money out of SC.

These are just some of my observations having been involved in both sports.

Tim,

One point correction, The Steel Challenge used to be held in mid April, in recent history it has been held on the third weekend in August. I feel one of the things that has made the Steel Challenge a succes has been the fact that it has been held at the same location and the same time each year.

Alan

If the SC is not going to become USPSA Steel, then there is no reason for the USPSA to run/own the Steel Challenge.

The SC is the antithesis of a USPSA match. The SC is a huge standards exercise. No power, no freestyle, no movement.

Resources spent by USPSA in becoming an umbrella organization are resources better used on our own unique sport.