Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SiG Lady Thread Reality Check: 50 pages, 750 posts, 165,848 viewings.

Still the reigning absolute mutha' of all threads.

Carry on. B)

So is this based on when the thread was started? Not to argue with some one of your position and wisdom, :sight: but isn't that thread over in the Humor section higher count, 170 pages, 4242 posts with 34,044 views? Or doesn't it count because of its place in this here information highway?

(I only show 31 pages for the reloading benches.) :blush:

Just got my bench set up in the new house. I know the house is too small since the only available space to set up was in the attick. I guess that makes me a semi-confined space reloader as well :)

Atticloadingbench003.jpg

Atticloadingbench005.jpg

The bench frame is made out of 2x4's bolted to the roof construction. There are 6 2x4's across with a 12mm wallplate on top, covered with Jatoba parquett. Leftovers from the livingroom, heavy and hard as fook, and they look the part so on they went.

Bench dimensions are 80x220 cm's or approx 32x88 inches.

If it needs further strengthening I will add some 2x4's from the front end and back towards the wall, but it made no sound when I sat on it and jumped up and down. Not even a little tiny squeak.

Shelves will be added to the back wall to put stuff on, and there will be added lightning to the roof uprights or whatever they are called.

Luckily, there is about an inch clearance from the top of my head when I stand at the highest point so I can stand, although the bench is made as a sit down bench due to the Dillon requiring some height above the bench to be filled with powder and primers. Best part is there is enough room to exchange it for a 650 in the future, although it will be tight to refill the case feeder.

Any comments for improvements, just hit me.

The first page of the Gallery has the tips for posting pictures.

But, as you notice when you make a reply, right under the "reply" box where you type your info is the "Attachments" area, click "Browse" which will bring up a dialog box asking you to choose a file. This is where you find your picture you have on your computer. Select the picture you want then hit "Upload" and it will go into your post.

Now depending on how big your photo is, you might have to go in on your computer and using something like Microsoft Picture Manager, you can resize it to fall within the size limits here on BE.

DW

Just got my bench set up in the new house. I know the house is too small since the only available space to set up was in the attick. I guess that makes me a semi-confined space reloader as well :)

Any comments for improvements, just hit me.

What is the in the cards to move the air up there to make you comfortable?

I am up in the rafters in my garage and dayum.. it gets HOT in the summer up there, you have roof fans installed?

I'm not sure if this is the right place or not to post. I'm getting ready to get into reloading. My question is how/where to setup my reloading area? I have a large basement to work with. That being said, I'm not sure due to powder and primers if there are things I should stay away from. Meaning, probably not by the utility room (furnace, hot water heater)? Probably not near the load center (electrical panel)? Probably not near the windows (sunlight and would be thieves looking into the windows)? Probably not near my office where there is tons of computer equipment (thinking electrical static sparks)?

Am I out of line on my thinking? Also I thought I remembered reading somewhere about fluorescent lighting, is it a good or bad thing?

Thanks for any tips/advice.

Gas or electric ? You want to stay away from open flames, but electric doesn't present the same problems. Of course it might get purtty hot in there at times. I reload in my garage and the next thing I'm going to do is replace the one overhead 100 bulb with a workshop fluorescent lighting fixture. I look at every case I load to make sure there' powder in it. I store the powder in the garage and the primers in the utility room next to it, just to get some separation.

My wife was concerned with the whole gun powder thing, asked my why I couldn't just store it our doors. I took a coffee can that I throw powder in from rounds I have to take apart, put it on the drive way and threw a lit match in it. There was maybe 25 grains of mixed powders it. Made for a nice roman candle for a few seconds and then poof, it was gone. The grand kids loved it and now my powder stays dry in the garage. Do a search in the reloading forum on 'furnace', I know there were several posts from folks who were reloading near them.

Bruce

OK here's my crowded well used bench!

That low tech bench has been in 2 houses and seen many different presses on it but of course they are always Dillon blue.

The RL1050 is the newest too me but is the oldest of the presses I own!

I rescued it from the thrash heap (really rusted out) the time spent rebuilding it was therapeutic.

Once I figured it out and got it dialed in it cranks out .223 really quick with very consistent quality.

Enjoying this thread thanks.

Rich

post-11334-1210025131.jpg

i got a room but its getting crammed. im thinking bout snagging the 1/2 of the basement that we dont use and its unfinished. im thinking bout a wall of shelves and big long benches. maybe a side for prep work table with reloaders, a bench along one wall for casting with exhaust fan above next to window. heres my set up now but i need more bench room and maybe a bench for basment gunsmithing.

heres one corner of the room

gunroom001.jpg

heres the other side

gunroom003.jpg

-chris

Nice room Sidnal :cheers:

FM

+1

the bench may need a little more support, (from the pics) veritcal.

lynn

Ohhh...what you can't see is that the bench is 2 pieces of 3/4 plywood that are glued then screwed together...then faced on the the front. :) It is supported on 3 sides...the right side is about 6" short, but the thickness of the bench keeps it rock solid. I could tap dance on there...if the damned presses weren't in the way!

Thanks for looking! It is a work in progress and I'm always looking for new ideas.

Landis

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
New to the forum, just looking through for ideas of how to improve my setup.

Here is my current bench

ReloadingBenchSized.jpg

I suggest you remove the tumbler and media seperator from the confined space as this will contribute quite a bit of lead dust to the area. Otherwise the place looks very well organized.

• 4 weeks later...
jack,

it's called a "man cave". mine is much smaller. i hate you. :)

lynn

Actually, Lynn, its too small. I am running out of room. What you can't see in the pictures is my weight bench in the middle of the floor, tool chests, bikes, 4 wheeler, floor jacks, etc. I need a bigger cave! I also made a serious mistake when I was building it - I didn't put plumbing in it. I should have built a shower and bathroom in it. Then I would not have to walk back to the house.

I am doing some energy efficiency renovations to my house right now. After that, I may add-on to the cave...... :devil: