Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

This is my reloading / hobby room at my new house. It isn't finished yet, I still have to put up some shelving and other stuff.

post-3808-1199638615.jpg

I've seen this room for real,

and it is no way as tidy as in the pictures :devil:

great set up though B)

There are people that from time to time clean up the mess

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious. I saw somewhere on this forum (I thought) plans from NRMA (National Reloading Manufacturers Assoc (I think). In June I mailed a $5 check for the plans and the envelope was returned because they were no longer in business or something like that. Did NRMA go defunct? Does anyone have the full scale plans?

Here is what I used; http://www.strongtie.com/products/categori...id-tie_diy.html

I made 2, 2' X 8' bences with 3/4 plywood (ripped by my favorite yard) and 2 X 4's.

One bench for reloading and one for the Dillon case cleaners and cleaning blasters.

The Simpson Strong ties made it a piece of cake.

FM

:cheers: Thanks to you too.

I made the NRMA bench about 20 years ago but sold it or my ex-wife gave it away. It was very solid. Are these benches sturdy or do you anchor them to the wall for extra stability?

Here is what I used; http://www.strongtie.com/products/categori...id-tie_diy.html

I made 2, 2' X 8' bences with 3/4 plywood (ripped by my favorite yard) and 2 X 4's.

One bench for reloading and one for the Dillon case cleaners and cleaning blasters.

The Simpson Strong ties made it a piece of cake.

FM

:cheers: Thanks to you too.

I made the NRMA bench about 20 years ago but sold it or my ex-wife gave it away. It was very solid. Are these benches sturdy or do you anchor them to the wall for extra stability?

Yes they are ridgid.

I didn't anchor them to the walls either.

The 3/4" plywood holds a lot of wieght in bullets!

I have my camera out I'll take some images and post them later tonight.

FM

OK, here are some pics of my bench.

After reloading today and thinking about how ridgid I said it was; it would still benefit from anchoring to the wall and maybe some extra lumber below the press it's self.

If I ran out of bullets, it may not be heavy enough to not anchor it.

Anyway here are the images.

FM

post-7113-1201484343.jpg

post-7113-1201484441.jpg

post-7113-1201484461.jpg

post-7113-1201484504.jpg

post-7113-1201484707.jpg

Edited by Front Man

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had to tear down my reloading bench in the guest room when my mother-in-law came to live with us, so now my bench must be portable and is used in my bedroom mostly but could be set up anywhere in a few minutes.

I have a Dillon RL550B and two Lymann Spartan single stage presses set up on a Black & Decker Workmate with a top made from two thicknesses of three quarter inch project board glued and screwed together that were cut to 24" X 36". The project board is much stiffer than plywood of the same thickness and it was only $22.00 a 4' X 8' sheet. I attached a piece of 1" X 4" X 24" hardwood to the bottom of the work-top that is clamped by the jaws of the Black & Decker Workmate and the two rear mounting screws of the Dillon strong mount also pass through the hard wood. It is surprisingly stable made more so by adding a shelf underneath where I keep a couple .50 Cal ammo boxes filled with wheel weights. I bought the Black & Decker Workmate for about $50.00 so I have less than $75.00 invested in the bench - it's totally portable - and it works great.

This is a great reloading bench idea for any one who is very limited for space or can't bolt thier bench to a wall (like in an appartment).

I am going to attempt to add a couple pictures so you can see what I am talking about.

Good shooting, and happy reloading. :cheers:

Ken H.

post-13275-1203385460.jpg

post-13275-1203385471.jpg

Edited by NC Shooter

:bow:

Dude, that is awesome. I have seen some really amazing rooms here and some that I really drool over but the ingenuity and simplicity of your solution is brilliant. You threw it in my face that I don't have an excuse and I appreciate that. One question, when you say "project board" do you mean MDF? I would like some more pictures of the details.

Thanks,

John

I had to tear down my reloading bench in the guest room when my mother-in-law came to live with us, so now my bench must be portable and is used in my bedroom mostly but could be set up anywhere in a few minutes.

I have a Dillon RL550B and two Lymann Spartan single stage presses set up on a Black & Decker Workmate with a top made from two thicknesses of three quarter inch project board glued and screwed together that were cut to 24" X 36". The project board is much stiffer than plywood of the same thickness and it was only $22.00 a 4' X 8' sheet. I attached a piece of 1" X 4" X 24" hardwood to the bottom of the work-top that is clamped by the jaws of the Black & Decker Workmate and the two rear mounting screws of the Dillon strong mount also pass through the hard wood. It is surprisingly stable made more so by adding a shelf underneath where I keep a couple .50 Cal ammo boxes filled with wheel weights. I bought the Black & Decker Workmate for about $50.00 so I have less than $75.00 invested in the bench - it's totally portable - and it works great.

This is a great reloading bench idea for any one who is very limited for space or can't bolt thier bench to a wall (like in an appartment).

I am going to attempt to add a couple pictures so you can see what I am talking about.

Good shooting, and happy reloading. :cheers:

Ken H.

"One question, when you say "project board" do you mean MDF? I would like some more pictures of the details."

Being an electrician not a carpenter I have no idea what "MDF" is. They sell it at the local Loews home improvment center to make speaker enclosures and such from (indoor use). It has no wood chips or flakes in it so it's not a particle board material and there are no layers like with regular plywood. but it is heavy and more rigid than three quarter plywood and has a smooth surface. I can take more pictures of the way it clamps to the Workmate, but it might take me a couple days to post them.

I used Elmers wood glue spread compleatly over one side of the board mated them together and then drilled five holes spaced in an X pattern from the middle out toward the corners. I used 1/4 - 20 flat head screws and T-nuts countersunk into the board so there would be no raised hardware to get scratched by when moving it around. I will post pictures by Thursday latest.

Ken

"One question, when you say "project board" do you mean MDF? I would like some more pictures of the details."

Being an electrician not a carpenter I have no idea what "MDF" is. They sell it at the local Loews home improvment center to make speaker enclosures and such from (indoor use). It has no wood chips or flakes in it so it's not a particle board material and there are no layers like with regular plywood. but it is heavy and more rigid than three quarter plywood and has a smooth surface. I can take more pictures of the way it clamps to the Workmate, but it might take me a couple days to post them.

I used Elmers wood glue spread compleatly over one side of the board mated them together and then drilled five holes spaced in an X pattern from the middle out toward the corners. I used 1/4 - 20 flat head screws and T-nuts countersunk into the board so there would be no raised hardware to get scratched by when moving it around. I will post pictures by Thursday latest.

Ken

MDF (medium density fiberboard)

Edited by DonT

Yep, by your description it is most likely MDF. I had thought about putting a sheet of metal in between the two boards before bolting them together but it seems stout enough by itself and the pieces are only 24" X 36" so there is not much length to bow.

I'm sure you're right, you would not want to leave standing water on this material.

My wife Bought me the RL550B for Christmas so I have not had it set up for very long and have just loaded the first 500 rounds on it over the weekend. I can say though that it is very stable and the checks that I did on the powder measure were also very consistant.

Before I got the Dillon I had been using single stage Lymann presses on a combination of particle board and plywood surface that I had C-clamped together and my current arangement is a lot better. It is both stiffer and more stable.

Ken

Oh well, after a lot of work, I've been able to upgrade my reloading room to the following:

post-1869-1203408541.jpg

post-1869-1203408574.jpg post-1869-1203408600.jpg post-1869-1203408651.jpg

It's basically a vaulted room carved out in the basement, where I've placed my reloading room and home laboratory, as well as PC station.