Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going backpacking in bear country

apriav

Shoot a bear with either of those and you're in deep kimchee if the bruin notices.

+1

I don't think either one of those would be considered "Loaded for Bear".

What type of bear country? Black, Grizzly, Kodiak? You MIGHT be okay with a black bear. Lunch, if Grizzly or larger...

just my .02$

Edited by pas44

I guess it all depends on the bear you piss off :blink:

480 ruger or 500 smith would be my choice

44mag in a pinch :mellow:

little guns just make bears real mad :surprise:

I shot a big one with a 264 win mag...in the right spot...close range...it was PISSED OFF This bear has been shot at least three times that I know of...and roams still today!!!...bears are not an animal to trifle with.!

wash your hands after eating...have NO food close to where you sleep...no perfume :o

Jim

kind of a tough one to answer. if i had to select between the two i'd go with the 45 and a 230 grain bullet for deeper penetration. maybe even hardball. velocity wise go for the fastest possible. as nice as the 357 Sig is, i suspect it might not penetrate as deep as a heavy 45 bullet, and with bear one issue is to get through some of that tough muscle and bone.

if you have extra money consider the 460 Rowland conversion for your 45. it produces impressive velocity and power, but it adds a compensator to the gun's length. reliability is an issue for a couple of reasons, one being slide velocity which is very fast on the rowland. i have one, and its damn powerful. the compensator is necessary as it would likely destroy the gun without it to slow down the slide - and it still uses a 24 lb recoil spring!

now, if you take the 45 and still get mauled or eaten by a bear, its not my fault. my best advice is to take enough gun, like a 500 S&W. oh, and don't miss.

good luck - and i really mean that.

I personally don't think either of your choices would allow you to survive a bear attack. JMHO. 460 rowland or 500 S&W mag would be my choice. 500mag comes in a 4inch barrel with a comp. Still kicks the $hit outta you but makes a terrible hole and it's relatively easy to carry.

And by the way....practice, practice, practice. The guns may kick but don't let one of your first shots be a life-dependent shot.

FWIW

dj

There's only little bears where you are anyways...

blow a whistle or knock some pots otgether.. those black bears will scoot..

Still, take the 45.. there's worse things then bears out there..

When you're backpacking, making enough noise so they here you coming is good.. you just don't want to surprise one.

If you were in Montana... get some bear spray..

Back the truck up, Jake. If we're talking black bear, those aren't that big. Anything that works on people will work on a black bear. They are about the same mass.

Grizzly. Different story.

As for aggressiveness. I worry little about black bears, but there have been documented attacks here very recently. But they are exceedingly rare given the large # of encounters people have with black bears.

What part of the world bear country are we talking about? That makes a pretty big difference.

Prevention is always better, make lots of noise, don't leave food out. If you have bear spray and have an encounter (that looks like it's going bad), just spray some in your face and you will be fine. No bear will ever mess with somebody screaming that bad.

Forget the P-shooters and take good running shoes ;)

Oh yeah, don't bathe so you stink to high heaven and make noise wherever you go. Thats the best advice other than don't make agressive moves if you have an encounter, make yourself real small and back away slowly and steadily keeping yourself from looking tall (tall = threat). Then run like hell when you have some distance and a clear path away.

The most relevant question asked is which bear country?

First, read up on bear country. Bears are really very intelligent and they have no interest in dinking around with the two legged invaders of their country. The only time you'd really ever have a situation is if you surprise them, threaten them, or get between a Sow with cubs.

I am going to agree with some of the comments about the gun choice though. The first thing I'd say is get a round gun. You want, need, and have to have reliability. Auto's are fantastic and I shoot them all the time. But my backcountry rig is a Ruger Redhawk. Most autos aren't designed for dirt, rain, snow, sleet, ice, etc. etc. Sure it might work - but it's the "might" in that statement that scares me. I've got competition guns that have never failed me that I wouldn't take out into the bush.

And then I'd go .44 Mag or higher. Regardless of the size of the bear. The only time you'll actually shoot that gun is if you're in a "situation." Situation means your adrenalin is pumping but I'd also say it means that bears adrenalin is pumping too. There are documented instances of bears getting shot 13-15 times with a .338 win mag before going down. Those situations are rare but it speaks to the strength and will these creatures have. I will say those stories come from up north where they "grow um' a little bigger"

To give you some perspective though, my father was a bear biologist up on Kodiak Island Alaska. That's where I grew up. My dad, in all of his years working around bears, never really had a situation. Never once shot a bear in defense of life or property. We hunted for years and years up there and encountered hundreds of bears - never had a situation. The greatest, most powerful weapon you'll have in your aresenal will be the one between your ears. Use that one the most, and then have a back up that's powerful enough to close the deal if need be.

Last, if you do get close to a bear - don't run. Don't freak out. Keep your wits about you. Make some noise and shoo it away. If s/he knows you're there, don't get too dramatic with it. Wait it out and look for the signs. Flattening ears, and popping the jaws means they are uncomfortable. You'll see it in their body language. But you can not out run one. Don't think you can. I saw a bear spook up a mountain that took him about a minute to get up. We had to hike up it a little later, took us something like 45 minutes. Granted he was in a hurry and we weren't. You can't outrun them.

Just my $.02.

J

Edited by j1b

If you have bear spray and have an encounter (that looks like it's going bad), just spray some in your face and you will be fine. No bear will ever mess with somebody screaming that bad.

That is some of the funniest shit I've ever heard. :goof::lol::lol: