Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What does this image mean to you?

Jake Di Vita

Other than that it is from a movie, what does this image mean to you? It speaks volumes to me. What do you think his state of mind is in that picture and how do you think it would transfer over to shooting?

300_wolf.jpg

The average joke is to be expected, but please if you feel the need to make a joke, post something constructive with it. ;)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this is just about shooting to me, it's about what makes us human. The wolf is obviously dangerous, weapons are built in. It is savage, ready to kill. The man looks calm and unafraid. The man knows he will win because he is equipped to win. He is armed and is calm. He knows that in this state he is more dangerous than a mere wolf.

That or he's just about to drop a load in his pants, errr, loincloth. ;) (sorry, couldn't resist)

He is not thinking, he is doing.

If he was thinking, it would be about how the pelt of this scrawny thing won't be big enough for a new wrap. Might be able to make some sort of strap, or sling. The boys need a house. Naturally, thinking leeds to losing. The invention of the thong was delayed for a very long time...

This image, to me, means that perception is NOT reality.

That threats could be opportunity.

Everyone thinks the wolf is a threat - like a stage. Why can't the wolf be an opportunity - a partner in fact - to accomplishing the goals?

Because his eyes glow doesn't mean he's an enemy (think about that in terms of shooting)

I've yet to meet a wolf I didn't like . . . if I trusted both the wolf and myself (Jake - you picked the wrong animal for me - I've grown up with wolves. The tat on my arm reminds me of the kinship we have together - not the threat against each other). And never forget - they can smell fear. Be sincere, play hard - or go home.

J

Edited by j1b

I think most of the comments are based on the scene and not the picture itself. I cannot really make a comment what the boy might be thinking just by looking at that picture. But based on the boy's facial expression, without fear and confident. I would say that he thinks that it's an opportunity for him. Out in the cold without cover, that fur is looking pretty warm.

Without getting too heavy and because you asked:

I see the image of the man as "self" and the light in the background as his desired destination - awareness, skill, success, etc.

The self stands in the darkness and seeks to move into the light. The wolf represents all the personal inhabitions and mental/physical obstacles placed on self by self - a formidable adversary. Once the wolf is defeated the goals are attainable; however there are still mountains to climb in the distance and although the journey is easier once the wolf is defeated - defeating him is but the first step to move closer to the light.

The stick could represent the desperation of self to defeat the wolf. It is the logical weapon of choice since nothing else is available (ignorance, the usual tactics, the known quantity) and the first attempt to gain an advantage on the wolf (the "easy" road - what we're accustomed to doing when a challenge arises)....but what will eventually defeat the wolf is intellect and gile, agility and application of training (especially if you've watched the movie).

That's what is says to me anyway. :)

Say, isn't that Norman Rockwell's "Boy and Dog play fetch"? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I think the lesson is that we better fully accept where we are, who we are, and be totally cool with it. The man is facing his own non-acceptance of "what is".

That wolf can be your worst enemy or your best friend. Free will is either a blessing or a curse. You choose.

The wolf is thinking about technique, timing, and form.

The human has no thought. He has been training all of his life for encounters such as this, and has allowed his subconscious to take control.

I thought the exact opposite. The human is thinking, which is why the wolf (who isn't) has the advantage.