Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What does this image mean to you?

Jake Di Vita

Both creatures in this picture are demonstrating a strong focus on the task at hand. Both have a goal and a plan and both are focusing really intsensely on getting it accomplished. Both have a chance at success and and yet both cannot be successful.

A wolf may be a pack animal but the strength of the pack is the wolf. This wolf has a chance to be successful here but it is not certain but I think it is safe to say he expects to win. The human must master his fear and focus on the task at hand and not be distracted. I also think he expects to win. He knows how to fight and he is prepared to do what needs to be done.

I think what can be applied to shooting from this picutre is the importance of focus and preparation.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you think his state of mind is in that picture?

300_wolf.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the boy is Id-ridden at this point and has nothing going through his "Mind".

The id is responsible for our basic drives such as food, sex and aggressive impulses. It is amoral and egocentric, ruled by the pleasure-pain principle; it is without a sense of time; completely illogical; primarily sexual; infantile in its emotional development; will not take 'no' for an answer. It is regarded as the reservoir of the libido or "love energy".

A popular interpretation of the id is not that it is "convincing" the mind to ignore social norms, but rather in itself just does not take social norms into account when 'thinking' or 'acting'. The id is the primal, or beast-like, part of the brain, determined to pursue actions that are pleasurable, such as eating or copulation. The prime motive of the id is self-survival, pursuing whatever necessary to accomplish that goal.

I don't have the faintest idea how this would transfer into my shooting. I don't shoot IPSC to survive but I will/have shot to survive. It's difficult for me to use survival instinct in IPSC training because I have been in "Need to survive" situations and they don't really intermingle. The training to bring on the instinctive memory response could be similar but that's about it. If a person could become purely Id-ridden while shooting they would probably be absolutely unstoppable but they wouldn't be able to dress down a stage because the Id is separate from the conscious mind and it does not draw memory from the conscious mind it only survives no matter what it takes. It's uncontrollable.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

I can't say I'm any good at such interpretations, but, to me, it says you can't escape your fears - you must meet them and beat them, with the tools at hand.

With respect to shooting, it would seem to say that you must face those challenges you are not comfortable with, and overcome them.

Guy

To me this image and the scene from which it comes represents the simple basic concept that many in today's society seem unable to grasp. A stick, a blade, a sword, an axe, a firearm, a battleship ... all are just tools, items used to multiply the force that can be applied to a situation. The true weapon is several pounds of grey matter, its ability to plan, to adapt, to decide, to overcome.

The wolf represents instinct without the application of intelligence. It knows hunger and aggression, but is unable to anything but what it is programmed by nature to do. (Yes, I know wolves are much more intelligent that that statement in reality).

In the scene Leonidos plans, adapts, and wins. It was his intelligence and will that killed the wolf, the tool was just that, a tool.

I like the responses so far.

I think it is interesting that most of the responses have been geared toward the conflict between the wolf and the boy which is the reason why people aren't sure how it relates to their shooting.

Look at his stance. He is crouched in anticipation. "There is no fear that grips him, only a heightened sense of things." The boy has been pitched out into the wild with only the task of surviving. He is not nervous or apprehensive. He has trained to the point that his skills have become incredibly formidable and subconsciously driven. He isn't out of shape and overweight - he is trained for anything that nature can throw at him. There is nothing that can distract him. He is operating on total awareness.

How does this relate to shooting? He has the Lion Mentality. Total and supreme confidence in himself and his abilities. This image is the personification of it.

How could anyone ever lose a match with that mentality?

In the literal, it's a coin toss. The young Spartan faces his equal. An animal trained to fight to the death and fight to survive. It is a real test for him as predator or prey and which one he is vs. what he wants to be.

More simply, it's man facing himself and all of his accomplishments and fears. We each work and strive for different things. Whether we complete or achieve them is not simply a matter of self evaluation, but too a trial by fire. For him, he has been trained and tested, but now faces arguably a peer and THIS will yield a true test of his accomplishments but too, if successful will open his eyes to his faults and fears to which he then can try and overcome.

Or something like that...;)

Rich

ETA: In IPSC speak, this could be at LAMR on your first stage of the day.

Edited by uscbigdawg

Fearless intensity.

Or maybe "intensity without fear" is a better way to put it. Because "intensity" comes first.

When you are truly immersed in a life threatening experience, there is no time or room for fear. Fear is there when you're thinking about what might happen.

be

The boy and the wolf are crouched in fear. They are both hungry. Each has given the other the possibility to win because they each have the mind to fight and in each death has a place to enter. A more seasoned warrior would stand straight and go about his business without concern. Should the wolf attack he would dispatch it, eat its flesh and wear its skin.

IMO - by thinking that very thought. By thinking they couldn't lose.

I had a teacher when I was in High School. He taught survival skills class (I know, only in Alaska). He taught us a ton - I took that class three years because I enjoyed it so much. He taught us how to survive when survival didn't look good.

My senior year, he died. How? Hypothermia. He was hunting, got hypothermic, and ended up passing away. He KNEW everything he needed to know - hell he'd taught it all to us. But I suspect his confidence in his own ability got the better of him, and then mother nature did.

I believe you have to understand both the ability you have to do something AND recognize the difficulty in doing that task. By acknowledging the difficulty you pay better attention, and you pay the proper respect. Only then can you fully comprehend the task you have. If you go in with "no fear" as many subscribe this boy is doing, then you go in not fully understanding the situation. Then, regardless of your cognitive ability, you are subject to the intelligence of your competition.

I've posted ten times to this thread - but deleted all of them. This is a scene from a movie - so it's subject to Hollywood and the hero winning. That wolf has prepared his whole life for this. He lives competition every day, and has all his life. Could he lose? Yes, but (despite Hollywood's version) his recognition of the situation - which is evident by his body posture - gives him the upper hand. I suspect if the camera's weren't rolling the outcome would be different.

J

IMO - by thinking that very thought. By thinking they couldn't lose.

I had a teacher when I was in High School. He taught survival skills class (I know, only in Alaska). He taught us a ton - I took that class three years because I enjoyed it so much. He taught us how to survive when survival didn't look good.

My senior year, he died. How? Hypothermia. He was hunting, got hypothermic, and ended up passing away. He KNEW everything he needed to know - hell he'd taught it all to us. But I suspect his confidence in his own ability got the better of him, and then mother nature did.

I believe you have to understand both the ability you have to do something AND recognize the difficulty in doing that task. By acknowledging the difficulty you pay better attention, and you pay the proper respect. Only then can you fully comprehend the task you have. If you go in with "no fear" as many subscribe this boy is doing, then you go in not fully understanding the situation. Then, regardless of your cognitive ability, you are subject to the intelligence of your competition.

I've posted ten times to this thread - but deleted all of them. This is a scene from a movie - so it's subject to Hollywood and the hero winning. That wolf has prepared his whole life for this. He lives competition every day, and has all his life. Could he lose? Yes, but (despite Hollywood's version) his recognition of the situation - which is evident by his body posture - gives him the upper hand. I suspect if the camera's weren't rolling the outcome would be different.

J

Overconfidence like complacency kills. In my experience this is very true in shooting as well as life. Big, brown, open, close targets can very easily be alpha-mike because not enough respect was shown to the target.

Other than that it is from a movie, what does this image mean to you? It speaks volumes to me. What do you think his state of mind is in that picture and how do you think it would transfer over to shooting?

300_wolf.jpg

The average joke is to be expected, but please if you feel the need to make a joke, post something constructive with it. ;)

The moment of truth....

What am I made of :excl:

Pure focus!

...This is a scene from a movie - so it's subject to Hollywood and the hero winning. That wolf has prepared his whole life for this. He lives competition every day, and has all his life. Could he lose? Yes, but (despite Hollywood's version) his recognition of the situation - which is evident by his body posture - gives him the upper hand. I suspect if the camera's weren't rolling the outcome would be different.

J

And so comes my question - how many of the posters above know that this picture is from the movie 300, showing Leonidas' rite of passage? Would your answers be any different if you had not seen the movie?

he's thinking, "My Feet are cold"

sorry couldn't resist. I look at that image and think how it represents what I'd like to be able to obtain, perfect focus without thinking and totally relaxed. Zen.

The wolf has confronted a man with a warrior mentality.

A man armed with more than a stick, he is armed with resolve.

He has trained well, therefore he is prepared.

He is completely focused on the task at hand.

When resolve, intensity and preparation meet, pity the poor wolf.

Other than that it is from a movie, what does this image mean to you? It speaks volumes to me. What do you think his state of mind is in that picture and how do you think it would transfer over to shooting?

300_wolf.jpg

The average joke is to be expected, but please if you feel the need to make a joke, post something constructive with it. ;)

I notice that most people post about how the boy isn't thinking. I disagree. The wolf out classes him physically. It has 6 weapons attached to it that he doesn't have. 4 sets of claws, teeth and it's weight (it clearly out weighs the boy). The boy has only two weapons the wolf doesn't have. The spear and his brain. Those two weapons of his outclass those of the wolf. Also, if you remember the movie it is his brain that beats the wolf by baiting it into a bad position. The spear only finishes the job.

As far as cross over to IPSC shooting I agree that the focus, obvious training and ability carry over. However, we are able to act in a less concious and more subconsious way because a stage for the most part is unchanging during a run. (Other than movers but even they act in a set way). The boy in the photo has a very dynamic situation before him. If he doesn't think he will lose. His concious mind has to react to his surroundings and the situation. His subconcious still uses the weapons at his disposal and moves his body as he was trained.

Chris

Edited to correct some errors.

Edited by Resjudicata

The wolf is defensive. His stance and lack on offensive posture tells me he is waiting to see what will happen and will react. He is sizing up his opponent.

The human is offensive. He has a plan and is ready to execute. He has confidence in his ability and weapon but is not taking his opponent for granted.

The victory goes to the side which can adapt their skills to the situation most effectively.

<edit>

This relates directly to many situations..not just shooting. If you strictly react, you are behind the curve. If you anticipate and get inside of your opponent's decision making process, you have more time to execute and impose your will on the situation.

Edited by SRT Driver

Wolf: Stand still! I am hungry and need to eat!

Leonidas: I wonder why snow is cold? I need to shave my head again. Where did I put that sharp rock? I need to get more organized if I am going to be king! I really wish this wolf would hurry up and jump, I got stuff to do!