Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie has bad 1st experience at a USPSA match

Carlos

I really hate it when I read anything negative about USPSA or IDPA on the net. Link below is a sad illustration of a first experience gone wrong. Yes- I realize its a one-sided account and that the guy showed up with a shoulder rig for his 1st match. Its just a bummer it turned out as it did, and worse still, its posted on the net for other potential USPSA shooters to read. :angry:

LINK to gunzone forum

or try:

http://www.ambackforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=50347

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is always a shame to hear of a story like this gent's. My personal experience has been exactly the opposite but there is always an exception and this appears to be it.

We had two new LEO shooters in our squad last Saturday. Nemo was RO'ing when one of them began to pivot backwards towards him when turning what should have been 90-degrees left to another array. It was the first time I had ever seen a bone white Puerto Rican. :rolleyes::lol: However, Nemo handled it very well and stopped the newbie in time to avoid breaking the 180. Nelson did spend a few minutes coaching him after the COF was complete in a professional yet serious manner. As usual, he did a great job in a difficult situation. Of course, he needed fresh shorts afterwards. :P

The bottom line is that both new shooters seemed to have a great time. They asked questions and several of us gave them (probably too much) friendly advice. We made sure that they felt a part of the squad and they in turn carried their share and then some. I have a high degree of confidence that they will be back next month.

The only way to grow this sport is to make our new shooters feel safe, welcome and appreciated. We were all new USPSA shooters once and hopefully one or more shooters took us under their wing during our first few matches. All of us should make sure we do so when a new shooter joins our squad.

Edited by XD Niner

We had two new LEO shooters in our squad last Saturday. Nemo was RO'ing when one of them began to pivot backwards towards him when turning what should have been 90-degrees left to another array. It was the first time I had ever seen a bone white Puerto Rican. :rolleyes::lol: <SNIP> Of course, he needed fresh shorts afterwards. :P

:surprise:

Bone white Rican..? Fresh shorts..? <_<

You ain't lying, my friend!

B)

Anyone know, by process of elimination, what club this gentlemen might have gone to? I mean a Beretta 92 is a fine Production gun and we have brassed. The shoulder holster might have been a problem, but I've never shot at a club where noob problems were not things to work on rather than ridicule!

I almost had compassion on this guy until he mentioned going to IDPA and other shooting sports. The IDPA clan will also let him know his shoulder holster and 15 round mags are no good there. Cowboys will not only not allow his M-9,but make him wear cowboy boots and button fly jeans!! :lol:

I know we should and I always do everything I can to welcome new shooters and inform them of the rules and categories. If someone shows up with a shoulder holster and we have had it happen. We just inform them the reason we do not approve is because they would sweep everyone watching and most likely themselves with the muzzle when they draw their weapon. A huge no no in our sport.

Also , be aware this could just be one those that already have a chip on their shoulder about our sport and preconcieved ideas of how we behave. I know as I mix and mingle with several different shooting crowds I have heard one or two fellows rant about USPSA snobberie and such. When confronted for specifics, one gentleman had never even been to a USPSA match. He said he was going off hear say.

Be nice , be informative, but sometimes you can't cast pearls amonst pigs.

I wish I had been a fly on the wall to see how/what/IF this happened. One side to the story does not always tell the tale. :huh:

Edit to add.... Great first post by our BE members to present another side to this. :cheers:

Edited by Merlin Orr

Prior affiliation with another group that dislikes USPSA or not, I see this guy as an opportunity. For whatever reason he had a bad experience, and regardless of how much ownership he had in that, he's not yet enjoyed what I found when I came to this sport. Micah's offer to guide him to and through a *good* match sounds like the right medicine.

We routinely debate marketing our sport and how to grow the membership. Here's a good chance to further that goal.

Both parties failed. The "club" obviously is due the lions share of our criticism. Someone needed to take a leadership role but managed to dork out on the guy. The new shooter has some coming too. I scratched my head some when the guy (I guess) just gathered up some gun stuff and headed out to his FIRST match. Nothin' to it right? :blink: One match observation would have eliminated the whole mess. Two sides to every story.

Jim

This is yet one more reason that ALL new shooters should go through an orientation PRIOR to their first IPSC match. It would be interesting to know what "club" this was at, because you have to wonder if it was a USPSA affiliate or an outlaw club.

There's definitely a two-sided dynamic going on here, but this guy needed to be squared away *prior* to the match. If he didn't have a holster, they should have either provided one or started him from low-ready and let him shoot for funzies. Bad match management on someone's part... :(