Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleats?

Guest nmchenry

I wish they would of had my size back when I got mine. I had to pay full price at a local store.  The Nike Trigo's are a great low price alternative to cleats. I've shot a few matches in them now and they feel great. I had no problems with traction on the plywood bridge at the LASC and they worked real well  throughout the rest of the match. The Adidas are good to , just a little pricey.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JR Bean,

We have a nike outlet store in my town, I have pair of Trigo's for running and a very similiar pair for matches, they are more cleat-like in the pattern, and soft also. I have worn them in two matches and they are comfy and stop on a dime and only $30. If you know your size I could see if they have any left :)

Loves2Shoot,

Thanks for the offer. I don't need another pair right now but my wife wants to get herself a pair. Right now though her attention is focused elsewhere. Her grandfather fell and broke his hip last night, so she is pretty worried about him. After things calm down I'll see if she wants you to check on a pair for her. Thanks again.

• 1 year later...
I know this is kind of an old thread ,but I thought this my be of interest to those who do not like wearing cleats all day long. Nike has a line of shoes called ACG(all conditions gear) they have several varities,but the point is they have an aggressive cleat style bottom while using a more comfortable inner shoe.Nike evens offers a gore tex option for nastier climates. I just bought a pair of their Trigo II, they are the most aggresive tread I found in the ACG line. Our local club match isn't till the 25,but I plan on giving them a good work out since our stages are usualy run and gun high round count. Let ya'll know how they do.

Definitely cleats... I've slipped and tripped on the ACG's... the soles also want to separate from the shoe very quickly...

I've worn the soles flat on one pair of ACG Trigo II's and am on the second pair. No sole separation here. Cleats are much slipperier on anything but wet grass & mud in my experience. Based on an informal shoe-survey at Nationals, a bunch of competitors were wearing the Trigos...

I worked The "Barrel Yard" Stage at the 2004 Area 6 match with North Carolina's own infamous barefoot shooter. I can personally say I think he's nuts, but he probably would just agree with me and grin. His bare feet did prove to be easier to clean up than my boots after two days in the foot deep mud of the 2004 Area 6.

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

I just wanted to throw on another vote for the NIKE - LAND SHARKS!

I just bought my first pair today at Dick's Sports for $29.99, and not wanting to break them in at my first major match this weekend, I wore them tonight at my indoor range, and I had no problems.

Heck I had to keep looking at the bottoms to see the cleats to actually believe they were cleats ...... felt like I was just wearing everyday shoes. VERY comfy! VERY cozy!

Why, I havent even owned them for 24 hours and I'm thinking about buying another pair, because you know how hard we all can be on our gear, and by the time I really NEED another pair ..... I'll bet they cant be found anywhere's :rolleyes:

Hi all,

I just bought my 2ND pair of NIKE - LAND SHARKS because I liked them so much. So now I have a pair of low-tops & a pair of mid-tops. I'll take em both to a match if I expect to get really really wet ....... Hmmmmm ... a backup pair of cleats, to go with my backup gun! B)

But seriously, they have rubber cleats and feel very very spongey & soft on concrete, and carpet. Cant imagine they would react negatively to wood, etc. unless wet, so I will be EXTREMELY cautious the 1st time that scenario comes up for me.

:D

I bought a pair of Nike Land Sharks at Academy about a month ago for $27 +tax. I was looking for cleats and the young man asked whether they were for football or baseball...?????? " Ahhh, neither." I got a strange look when I told him they were for shooting. They are the mid-top and are actually very comfortable. TXAG

How do the cleats do when you walk a plank that is made out of steel "mesh-like" stair tread? 

http://flexmoney.ohiouspsa.com/Ohio_Match_...rd%20Hustle.pdf

Not sure .......... have to wait and see ..........

I have a feeling I will want to change back to street shoes for that one. Even a stumble on the walk-through would probably hurt with a steel plank.

Besides at Pickaway ... unless its a rain-soaked mud-hole, it shouldnt be too bad. B)

To the new shooters out there who are still on the fence whether to go with cleats or not.

Going through Matts DVD series, in Chapter 1 Safety, he mentions cleats as a item to get. Hmmm, a safety item rather than a performance item. One of my first matches I slipped a bit on a run-n-gun course. Tweaked my knee and hobbled around for a few days. Yup, safety item. Gotta get 'em.

I went with the Land Sharks but go through the thread again and make a short list. With the short list at the store you can then match the shoe to the ground conditions you normally shoot in. I also keep a pair of beat up running shoes nearby if some demented stage designer puts up planks or plywood to run on.

How do the cleats do when you walk a plank that is made out of steel "mesh-like" stair tread?

We tromp around on this stuff a lot at work. If the holes are large, a running shoe with large blocky deep 'cleats' will actually get stuck in the holes and take a bit of force to get out. Football cleats would probably be worse. Smoother soled running shoes would work here. Another kind of perforated steel has dimples and holes in the apex of the dimples. This stuff is very slick when wet and the dimples offer no traction. We paint ours with aircraft non-skid. Or just dump in some walnut tumbling media into whatever paint you're going to use. Be careful with expanded / perforated metal as a running surface. We've had a few injuries from guys just walking on it.

I wonder if anyone else has had the same experience that I have with GSG9's? They are comfortable standing and they grip on any surface, but I cannot shoot faster with them on a field course.

It may be the ankle support part, but because I'm tall and big I've found them to restrict my movement when going around obstacles. I think because I'm just not as fast as smaller guys, I tend to lean a lot and use my height to access targets around objects. The ankle support part of the boot restricts this type of movement. I wish I could get the nubby soles made of the same material in a lower shoe.

Just bought a pair of Nike Trigo Plus and for 1/2 price got a pair of Nike Sharks. The Trigo has the same tread pattern as the older Air Shasta and one other nike model I've got. They discontinue every style within 12 months so you have to look for what has that tread - which has worked GREAT for me.

I do fine with low-tops. Saw a tv show once - showed how people have either a 2-pivot-point ankle or a 3-pivot-point. The 2-pivot allows more athletic movement but is more prone to injury. I've got unathletic 3-point [pretty sure] and haven't rolled an ankle since I was about 12 years old. The ground you shoot on will have to be VERY bad to need a lot of ankle support. Like, potholes & sheer drops.

Land Sharks are really easy to heel-toe, with spikes that are longer and MUCH more rubbery than my old Nike ZoomAir cleats from about 7 years ago. They have 6 spikes in the heel area where most have just 4. Great pair of shoes. Dropping off the old cleats at Salvation Army.

• 4 weeks later...

Orlando's range has several wooden decks and platforms on their stages - all soaking wet last Saturday.

I was wearing the Land Sharks when I nearly busted my a** walking on the wood platform to sign up for the match. Switched back to the Trigo-style before the walk-thru started & had no problems all day even in mud.

The Land Sharks will be my #1 shoes for anything BUT wood decks. They might be okay on dry decks, haven't tried that yet.

I passed on the landsharks and bought a pair of $37 Addidas baseball cleats at Gart. The soles have deep cleats, but are nice and soft, so the traction is outstanding on all surfaces, wooden or otherwise. They also have capped pitching toes, which really help to protect your feet running through rocks or obstacle courses.

They're probably the best $37 I've spent on shooting gear, I can't believe I waited this long. Vastly superior to hiking boots or anything else, and much more comfortable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The best thing (for me) about the Land Sharks is the price. I'm so slow that I was embarassed to even think about cleats.

However I was getting hiking boots at Dick's and saw the Land Sharks for $29.99. For that price I bought a pair just to try.

It's nice to have the kind of traction these shoes provide on the surfaces I encounter around here. I also find that the heat from our lovely hard packed red clay doesn't transfer to my feet with the cleats like it does with any other shoes.