Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleats?

Guest nmchenry

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some Land Sharks. They were fine for a couple of hours but after a day of shooting my feet really began to hurt. They were a tad bid too narrow for my feet. I did like their traction and the price was excellent. I would recommend them but spend extra time on the fit. I would recommend a size or half size larger than usual. This is because you feet will swell after being on them for a long time.

I had a match I went to at the beginning of the month. You had to engage the first array then run up to the 4ft wall and engage the last set of targets. It rained that day and I engaged the first array while moving and if I remember correctly I didn't "see" that well and had poor pts, then I ran up to the wall engaging as I came to the wall. As I was coming through the targets I attempted to put on the brakes on and lost my footing and slid. I knew I had a miss but I just stood there for a couple of seconds realizing what almost happened. I almost fell while engaging some up close targets at full speed. Very scary. I didn't even try to make up the shot. You can bet I had a pair of cleats the next match. Boy do they make a difference. I ended up buying some Addias football cleats with the rubber spikes on advice from DLittman. Glad I listened. They grab on wood great.

Flyin40

used land sharks year ago, but like mistral 404 they were too narrow and hurt my feet. just got a new pair, and found that they are finally making them in wide to fit my luau feet.

I'm still using my mizuno baseball cleats, that are wider than football shoes.

• 4 weeks later...

I shot a stage at one of our local matches where there was a sharp corner that we had to negotiate at full speed. I came around the corner and my feet kept going and I crashed and burned. I did keep the muzzle down range in a safe direction the whole time and did not drop the gun! After that I won't shoot without my cleats.

• 9 months later...
Cleats still USPSA leagal?

Ive seen a few posts mentioning cleats are a no no now, but I can't find anything in the USPSA rule book about it.

Always have been and probably always will be legal in USPSA

Cleats still USPSA leagal?

Ive seen a few posts mentioning cleats are a no no now, but I can't find anything in the USPSA rule book about it.

Always have been and probably always will be legal in USPSA

great, :D just wanted to make sure since I'm getting close to buying shoes just for IPSC competition.

I got some Land Sharks. They were fine for a couple of hours but after a day of shooting my feet really began to hurt. They were a tad bid too narrow for my feet. I did like their traction and the price was excellent. I would recommend them but spend extra time on the fit. I would recommend a size or half size larger than usual. This is because you feet will swell after being on them for a long time.

Ive found that problem with Nike shoes on my feet because I have wide flatter feet. Nike seem to be for people who have perfect arches. I wear rebooks with no problems.

I just bought my wife 2 pair of cleats...one pair of Nike and one pair of Adidas. She says they are a definite improvement and she feels much more secure with her movement on the range. Definitely worthwhile IMHO.

I guess I need to buy myself some too, eventually. :)

Mike

[ive found that problem with Nike shoes on my feet because I have wide flatter feet. Nike seem to be for people who have perfect arches. I wear rebooks with no problems.

we call that luau feet here, and I got the same problem.

I found a pair landsharks in wide at sport authority a while back. added a dr. scholls sports inserts love the combo.

I've also used mizuno baseball cleats, I don't know the model, but the cleats are made of the same type of rubber as the landsharks. and the mizuno shoes are not marked as wide, but they are wider than most shoes.

I bought a pair of Addidas baseball cleats last year and have been very happy with them. Only downside is that the black vinyl can get warm in direct sunshine. Outstanding traction on any surface. $35 out the door.

Since this is titled Pros & Cons, I'll offer up a con for wearing cleats. I have the Nike Landsharks and really like them. However, a couple months ago I had an incident where I squatted down and went to twist my knee down to the ground and my toe dug into the ground and didn't pivot. My knee did the rotating and I twisted it up pretty badly. Be careful. Maybe the Landsharks are too aggressive.

I switch between the Merrel Stormriders (with some cleats) and the Nike Trigo's with an aggressive tread. My only issue with the cleats is how slippery they are on wooden surfaces with a bit of moisture. I want to wear them to A8, but with a "walking the wooden plank stage", I have some concerns.

I used the Merrels on a geocaching trip, and found that when I got to wooden bridges that needed crossed, by movements had to slow considerably. On soil or gravel, they can't be beat, but on wood and wet...

My only issue with the cleats is how slippery they are on wooden surfaces with a bit of moisture. I want to wear them to A8, but with a "walking the wooden plank stage", I have some concerns.

So just change your footwear for that stage.

Problem solved! B)

-Chet

My only issue with the cleats is how slippery they are on wooden surfaces with a bit of moisture. I want to wear them to A8, but with a "walking the wooden plank stage", I have some concerns.

So just change your footwear for that stage.

Problem solved! B)

-Chet

LOL! Maybe I'll wear one of each shoe. Not going to schlep an extra pair of shoes around when you can't get back to your car for A8 this year. But thanks anyway!!! :D

Check out the new under armor Hammers. Much more comfortable than the nike or adidas. Great traction and feel more like a running shoe. My feet don't hurt at the end of the match now like they did with the landsharks.

I just picked up a pair of the Hammers. :wub: I like that they have a full length mid-sole so the pressure from the cleats are dispersed over the whole foot, much more comfortable after being on your feet all day. Cleats and pattern are very similar to the Landshark's.

That was the one thing I noticed with the Landshark's. By the end of the day (or sooner), I could feel the cleat pressure coming up from the sole.

Check out the new under armor Hammers.

I generally don't like cleats (I think I posted that up above somewhere?) for this game, but recently have managed to find a couple of situation where the Merrells I've been wearing haven't been up to the traction task. Nothing quite like sliding a foot or two on one foot with a loaded gun in your hands, ya know? It was obvious I needed to have a 2nd pair of shoes for those conditions.

So I bought a pair of Hammer Mids this past weekend. Compared side by side, they seem to be constructed a lot better than the Land Sharks. Touched up the back corners with a sander, so that they're easier to move on. Probably try them out this Saturday at Waco (assuming we get to shoot this month!!! please no rain please no rain please no rain). So far, they seem comfortable - I've been breaking them in around the house. Will report back on how well they do.... ;)

Thanks for the tip, Chriss...

May have run across a good compromise between cleats and running shoes. Nike and a few other companies are making running shoe type golf shoes with replaceable rubber spyder type cleats. The edges of the soles have small molded in cleats to help stabilize the shoe so it won't slip sideways. I may get a pair and try them this weekend. If I do I will report back. You can see them on the Edwin Watts Golf web site.

May have run across a good compromise between cleats and running shoes. Nike and a few other companies are making running shoe type golf shoes with replaceable rubber spyder type cleats. The edges of the soles have small molded in cleats to help stabilize the shoe so it won't slip sideways. I may get a pair and try them this weekend. If I do I will report back. You can see them on the Edwin Watts Golf web site.

Depending on what your home "turf" is, those might work pretty good. I found that they don't work for me on gravel surfaces worth a darn. The tread and spike/cleats are not agressive enough to grab any traction in the gravel (my home "turf").

The best shoes I've found for multiple surfaces are the Crosscountry Running shoes. Most have good support and are flexible where you need it.

They generally have a sole with small rubber cleats and you don't feel like you're on platforms as with football cleats. The smaller cleats handle a lot better on gravel. And....you can tailor your removeable spikes from 1/8" plastic cleats to 1/2" metal spikes that anchor you in wet grass.

All around, a more stable platform.

11291071_z.jpg

Eastbay

The best shoes I've found for multiple surfaces are the Crosscountry Running shoes. Most have good support and are flexible where you need it.

They generally have a sole with small rubber cleats and you don't feel like you're on platforms as with football cleats. The smaller cleats handle a lot better on gravel. And....you can tailor your removeable spikes from 1/8" plastic cleats to 1/2" metal spikes that anchor you in wet grass.

All around, a more stable platform.

That's a good idea, Ill have to look into those. The cleats that i wear are pretty stiff and dont seem to flex very well. But they do work well in the rocks of my home range.