Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleats?

Guest nmchenry

Guest nmchenry

Does it help to wear shoes with cleats when shooting outdoor IPSC style stages?  If so, does it matter what type of ground (like grass, dirt, caliche)?  I am only a low class C shooter so I don't know that I should be concerned about my shoes but a friend suggested getting football shoes or hiking boots.  I was not sure if he was serious or not.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear Nike landsharks...football cleats...on grass it is very important, you only need to slip in wet grass once to understand how valuble they are. Also I find less leg fatigue wearing them in sand, particularily deep sand. They usually sell for around $50-$60 and its money well spent. RO's should wear them too, helps keep up with the speedsters like Travis :)

Pat

I second the cleats, in fact, I second the Nike Landsharks.  I saw Pat wearing them in FrontSight and decided I had to have some...  Nah, I got 'em on sale right after football season last year ($35).  They replaced some Reebok soccer cleats left over from my intramural college days and are much nicer.  They help in almost any outdoor situation.  Be careful on some props though.  

Cleats are needed for accelerating out of a position and decelerating into a position. They're not perfect for the loose gravel atop hardpack dirt I mostly shoot on, but they're better than nothing. I just replaced my pair (cleats worn down to nubs) with football cleats. They kind of suck on hard smooth surfaces like plywood. At the 99 LimNats I wore my street shoes for "The Plank" stage.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nmchenry

I jumped out, on you'alls advice and got the Land Sharks.  As a woman I never had use for football shoes before but was very happy with them when I used them in a very small competition on Sunday.  Best part was they were only $30 plus tax.  Thanks for the help

• 6 months later...

GM --- I think he was bitten by a radioactive spider and it gave him some kind of "superpower".  Oops that was Spiderman. Don't know what Bret's story is then or how he can run up those walls in the rain. Hell, I can't figure out how to run up 'em in the sunshine!

Do tell fair-haired one, how DO you do it?

Ha ha ha

Wow, you guys have enough money in your clubs to build walls?  We usually have the squad just join hands downrange to act as the "vision barrier."  When a shot passes through it, you know.

It is interesting how you guys thought I meant walls when I didn't really say what I was referring to.  I'm not posting here anymore - I'm taking my cleats and going somewhere else.

But then, finding meaning in some of my posts is more difficult than finding a mexican war hero...

For the record, and those wondering what the heck GM and titandiver are ridiculing me about, I was referring to platforms, decks, bridges, etc. built from flippin' wood.  Unless it doesn't rain where you live ...  

Spidey-man

Speaking as one who has had their legs go their own way when stepping onto (or should that be sliding onto..) a rainsoaked platform with cleats, listen to Bret. Its a pain in the ass...and other places...plus you have to listen to snickers and endless questions about why you are walking funny.

Pat

And unfortunately dragging this topic back from the brink of humorous thread-drift.. pick up several pairs of _good_ athletic socks while you're out getting your cleats. You'll feel the difference at the end of the day.

One of the best bits of shooting advice I've ever got was: "never underestimate the value of good socks"