Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleats?

Guest nmchenry

Those >>>CC>>> cleats look more look more like a racing flat than a running shoe...either of which would typically be designed more for straight on movement.

Those look pretty decent, however. They do look like they'd have some flex to them (which is important to me, personally...as I've found that I am less like to turn an ankle if my shoe has some flex to it).

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used CC spikes for years playing all kinds of sports. They're made for hills, turns and rough terrain. They have some serious difference from a standard waffle or racing flat.

First, you have an internal solid spike plate for rigidity up front (although some shoes offer independent spikes for more...um, flex). If you've shifted your weight to the balls of your feet, you can explode out of the hole. If you're loping and heel striking while moving, you might need a higher heel than the shoe pictured to feel comfortable.

The second major difference is the tailoring of the spike lengths for side to side movement. Running 1/2" pyramid steel spikes on the outside edges on a solid plate ramps up your side to side torque HARD. I prefer a shorter spike on the front so I'm not catching my toes on anything. Some times too much of a good thing is bad. With long metal spikes you can anchor hard and fast so you had better have strong knees. Start at 1/8". A little give is good.

Vasque has a series of trail running shoes that are lightweight with great treads - spiky enough for good grip on all surfaces, and hard enough where they don't wear out after two matches. They have good support, and you can also often find "last year's models" for very reasonable.

i recently purchased a pair of the under armor hammers in the mid size. i tried them out last night at a local practice session. i have to say they were very comfortable for the four hours i had them on. i'd recommend these cleats for running and gunning.

Just got a pair of Adidas Corner Blitz last week. The comfort of a rubber shoes, the traction and stability of a football shoes. For those quick acceleration and sudden braking, they do perform. :)

I picked up a pair of the Land Sharks last week and of course the sales lady had to ask what they were for. It took a bit of explaining, but it was fun. They seem to be pretty comfortable even after 6 hours.

Shot in my Hammer Mids this weekend. They were comfortable all day, and were very grippy in the grassy/sandy/dusty bays we were in. Not as comfortable as my Merrells, at this point - I haven't figured out how to get the insoles out so I can move a pair of orthotic insoles into them. Surprisingly, though, my flat-a** feet weren't screaming at me when we were done, so... that was a welcome surprise.

Both pairs of shoes will continue to see use, depending on conditions... :)

Just picked up a pair of Nike Alvord trail runners.

Will report back next week.

I have a pair of those. (AIR-Avlord IV). Very similar to a crosscoountry shoe without the spike plate. I may run them at the Area 8 due to the plank stage and any moisture left over from Thursday. Steel spikes sink into most surfaces, but wil leave you up on asphalt or wood.

• 2 years later...

Found this good ol thread from the FAQ's! "Oh, looks slippery, better watch out". It's a great feeling if you can trust that you won't slip and crash. I have that while playing (finnish) baseball, with track&field type spiked shoes, sharp half inch spikes. I'd love to get that same amount of trust while shooting. So, shopping we go...

s3_1.JPG

Orienteering shoes with short spikes, good traction anywhere, except maybe steel. Never seen a steel platform though... Very good for running (hopelessly lost) through forests. I searched all nearby stores for regular outdoors shoes with rough texture outsole, for allround use, but I could not find any with proper (big) size for me.

Spiked, low off-trail / orienteering shoes:

http://www.icebug.se/Product.aspx?m=395

Those felt good, but I didn't want to get spiked shoes, they are so limited in their use, eg. you cant go indoors at a match without changing shoes... (If you care about wrecking the floor, that is.)

I thought these would be good overall candidates:

30785_Crosslite2.jpg

http://www.lasportiva.com/catalogue/catalo...amp;Language=EN

But as with many others, I couldn't find them locally. Landsharks.. well, american football is not very common in europe, so those are not around either. I was so bummed not finding anything, so I just bought regular cheap soccer shoes, and so far I'm liking them. Good for soft-ish surfaces and not too bad on concrete either. On smooth surfaces I'd use normal shoes. Many football shoes are very prone to.. how would I describe it, "falling" towards the outer edge of your foot, which can be very very bad when stopping from a sideways motion. Those Adidas soccer shoes I got are a bit wider, which makes them less suspectible to that nasty ankle snapping thing. I also have those track&field spiked shoes but I haven't used them in shooting. Maybe if there's a winter match on smooth ice... Nothing beats sharp half inch spikes. :)

Edited by askomiko

• 2 months later...
Third vote for the Nike Landsharks - gottem after straining my calves running in deep sand.

Also explained clearly to the sales boy at National Sports what they were for.  Look of horror followed by great and SPEEDY service.

Cheers,

Ross

is high top baseball cleats good too

I have a good tip for cleat wearers. TUCK IN THE SHOE LACES! A6 this year, I'm doing a walk thru on the house stage. I cross stepped (left foot over right) and hung a cleat in my shoe lace. It was like someone threw a bolo around my feet. SPLAT! In the rocks. I slapped the ground so hard I got a blood blister on my ring finger.