Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleats?

Guest nmchenry

A few years back I was shooting a nationals. I always wear big hiking boots - Timberland or Columbia. We started behind this car and shoot a few targets - then ran to a second position, then on to a third. En route from position two to three I tripped and fell - BAD! I fell face first - slid - couldn't put my right hand out cause the gun was in it (safety was off) so I just biffed it bad. I get up and proceed to the last section. The slide was so bad my scope had switched off - so I had to turn it back on.

After that I invested in cleats. I still wear the boots everyday. But not when I'm shooting an outside match.

JB

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bret,

Sorry could not help myself. The door was open and I put in my feet.

I wear cleats all the time. I used to play 'cricket'. Sorry!

Yes it rains here, lots. Usually Sundays anytime after 9.00am. Then by 10.00am it is sunny, then at 11.00am. . .  You get the picture.

Shred, yes definetly get good socks. especially if your feet are going to get wet. It will stop them from sliding around IN YOUR SHOE.

Pat, wait till you leave blood all over the props. It's hell to get off and it usually involves large lumps of pain.

I'll post a further caution as to the "dangers" of cleats on wet plywood.  At the last match I shot, it had rained pretty much for the whole previous 24 hrs and stopped about 1/2 before the match started (have I mentioned I hate 'target condoms', esp. at a all-classifier match?).  My last stage, I was seated at a chair, which was on wet plywood, go to take off to the door, and crashed, hard.  Bruised my shoulder, lots of range rash on my left leg and arm, but kept the muzzle up range.  I'm not sure that street shoes would have made any difference.  But again, a word of caution, plywood vs. cleats?  Plywood wins.

I bought a pair of Land Sharks on sale  after reading this post for $40.00 and they really help.

When you have to walk on a non-friendly Football surface just walk like you are walking on Ice.

Flat footed.

The same as I walk on any slippery surface with any shoes.

Like Nike says.

Just Do It.......:)

• 2 months later...

I use to wear the sharks but after I wore them out I started looking at the sneaker hiking boots.

I found a great pair that the sole was in between cleats and hiking boot bottoms and have worn them ever since.

They are Colorados (I never heard of them either but they are holding up nice.)  I think they are a great compromise for the differrent terrains that we may encounter in our matches.  I have not had a problem with wet grass, sand, gravel, or planks with them.

Brian

Just bought my first pair of Land Sharks a few days ago. Shot my first match with them on Sunday. Looked at the Adidas Corner Blitz as well, but went with the Sharks because they felt better on my feet. YAY! I have cleats. Now I feel like just the compleat IPSC shooter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quote: from Erik Warren on 10:09 am on Sep. 10, 2001

Cleats are needed for accelerating out of a position and decelerating into a position. They're not perfect for the loose gravel atop hardpack dirt I mostly shoot on, but they're better than nothing. I just replaced my pair (cleats worn down to nubs) with football cleats. They kind of suck on hard smooth surfaces like plywood. At the 99 LimNats I wore my street shoes for "The Plank" stage.

Darn right dangerous on hard surfaces like the plywood, but great for about everything else.

Quote: from Duane Thomas on 9:59 pm on July 8, 2002

Just bought my first pair of Land Sharks a few days ago. Shot my first match with them on Sunday. Looked at the Adidas Corner Blitz as well, but went with the Sharks because they felt better on my feet. YAY! I have cleats. Now I feel like just the compleat IPSC shooter.

Need to get me a new pair too since I can't find my old ones.

Well, the bug bit and off to the store. Should have seen the looks on the clerk's face when the old fat guy staggers in and asks for Nike Landsharks. I tried them on, but I have flat feet and the arch support kills me. She asked what I need them for (could see that coming) and I explained I needed improved traction for loose gravel on hard packed surfaces for pistol shooting.

She tells me Reebok makes such an animal in their "Pit Bull" shoe. It's a rubber cleat (also for turf) but the compound is softer. The propaganda with the shoe even claims improved traction on loose/hard packed surfaces. They work very well and I think I am going to like them.

I did have a bit of a shock when I tried to do a turn and draw dry fire drill on carpet...

Both the Nike Land Sharks and the Reebok Pit Bulls work great.  I've worn out both.

The black pit bulls (actually, anything black) get painfully hot on a pistol bay in the summer sun (for me).

I have since switched to white because of the foot-frying temperatures...

Bret

• 5 months later...

I know this is kind of an old thread ,but I thought this my be of interest to those who do not like wearing cleats all day long. Nike has a line of shoes called ACG(all conditions gear) they have several varities,but the point is they have an aggressive cleat style bottom while using a more comfortable inner shoe.Nike evens offers a gore tex option for nastier climates. I just bought a pair of their Trigo II, they are the most aggresive tread I found in the ACG line. Our local club match isn't till the 25,but I plan on giving them a good work out since our stages are usualy run and gun high round count. Let ya'll know how they do.

I've been very happy with my Adidas GSG9 boots, but they were expensive ($~200 last time I looked) and are getting harder to find.

I have a physical problem that requires very solid ankle support, and the boot style of the GSG-9 has prevented me from some real additional damage. The light weight of the boot is a big plus.

Are there other options that are also boot style, providing ankle support up to the calf, but with good aggressive cleats?

You know these posts remind me of a guy on the east coast. He shoots major matches in his bare feet! He is a Master also. I have no idea wht he doesn't have circle cuts out of the bottom of his soles from running over brass, much less rocks and such. Kind of makes you wonder huh. No I don't think he has won but I really don't know. He was a good shooter as far as I could tell. Although I kept my distance and never turned my back on him. :)

The Nike Trigo II's are nice.  I've been using 'em for matches for 6 months now.  Benny Hill (the GM not the TV guy) turned me on to them-- they're as grippy as a cleat in the dirt, but stickier on slick stuff and much more comfy at the end of the day.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank goodness Jmaass and lynn jones spoke up, I read through the whole post and didn't see mention of the Adidas GSG9. I have shot the GSG9 boots for well over a year and wear them at work everyday. Since the first time I put them on, that was it, there was nothing else that even came close.

Cleats are great for shooting in grass, dirt or other surfaces, BUT once you go to a hard surface, you better watch out. GSG9's do it all, they give you the traction of cleats in grass, etc, the athletic shoe feel and grip on plywood or hard surfaces, BEST ankle support I've ever felt, almost feels like my ankles are wrapped each time.

When you run, they are light weight, and give you the running shoe feel instead of the hard stepping feeling like cleats. Nice wet grass and I can corner and turn on a dime with great ankle support. I can't think of a surface or condition they don't adapt to.

Problem is, I heard they are no longer making them. Bates footwear makes a tactical boot with a Spyder sole like GSG9's, but a little heavier and is more like a boot than shoe.

I won't wear anything else! Just ask Jarrett, Barnhart, Strader, Garcia and countless others.

Doc Martins too slippery on wet grass. But if you get the 14holers they give great ankle and calf support. But are hell to put on in a hurry as her dad drives into the garage. Look real cool if you have spikey hair and ripped jeans, unless you are 40 and 25lb overweight.

I wear DM's at work as often as possible. But at $200 each they can be a little expensive.