Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ion Bond?

firematt100

I guess the proof is in the pudding. Looks like I will be sending off my gun to get the ionbond treatment.

can't wait any longer, i send mine out for ion bonding $250 complete pistol...

Did the price go down, I thought it was running $300 for complete pistol sent in individually?

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the proof is in the pudding. Looks like I will be sending off my gun to get the ionbond treatment.

Did the price go down, I thought it was running $300 for complete pistol sent in individually?

$250 is what Rob Melhorn charge me so i did not think twice and go ahead with it

$250 is what Rob Melhorn charge me so i did not think twice and go ahead with it

That's $50 cheaper than what Ryan of IonBond quoted me :surprise: Who's Rob Melhorn and how do I get in touch with him?

Anyone have pictures of the IONBOND'ed pistol with 1000's of draws from Kydex yet?

I picked this up the last week of April, original pics are in post #38 of this thread (I think). I ran a CR Speed WSM II for a while, but have been using a DOH for at least 5-6 months.

The EGW magwell was new when I picked up the gun, but they wouldnt do aluminum at that time (someone in this thread said they do now) but I included it with the pic of the mag to show how beat up the magwell is versus the magazine.

The mag looks a little scratched, but they are very difficult to see except in the pics!

CIMG0145.jpg

CIMG0151.jpg

CIMG0152.jpg

Is that skin in the top pic at the rear of the slide?

Is that skin in the top pic at the rear of the slide?

No, not skin :D , it is where my thumb rides against the slide, and "wipes" oil off the finish...although it looks like its the other way around, my thumb leaving oil, its really not. The finish is millions of micorscopic "tubes" lying all stacked against one another, and when you first get it, you have to really lube it up good as these tubes suck up the lube...then when the surfaces need it they "release" whatever amount is needed...or so I was told...but if you lay it on its side on a Glock gunsmith mat for example, or the carpet on a gun safe shelf, these two surfaces will absorb lube out of the tubes and leave dry spots...and where my thumb rides, it sort of "wipes" the slide as it goes back and forth and creates a "dry streak" so to speak...I didnt even notice it in the pic till you pointed it out.

It would be a simple thing to take your pistols to your favorite local dealer and have them USPS them to some local NC dealer or smith and have him send or take the pistols to Greensboro! I would also be in but I have neither purchased or finished my either of my two builds. (Can't make my mind up on some stuff)

That's $50 cheaper than what Ryan of IonBond quoted me :surprise: Who's Rob Melhorn and how do I get in touch with him?

Rob melhorn is one of the best gunsmiths in Southern CA. I am looking for his contact info but I lost his card. I'm waiting on a friend to call me back who recently had rob do a trigger/reliability job on his Barsto CA S_i. As soon as I get it I will pm you. hope it helps. you can always call information. he is located in Granada hills.

If you go to pistolsmith.com, there is a report there that a guy shot his ionbonded gun 1500 rounds without any lubrication.

I read the pistolsmith.com thread and it mentions they will only accept pistols from "a few select pistolsmiths." Did you find this to be the case? or are you sending them in direct?

I'm in NC and could save some $ if it doesnt involve a middleman!

Thanks, PH

I called Ryan Flynn and he told me that all I needed to do is send my guns in and I would be all set. I am not a pistol smith just a regualr shooter.

Hello, guys. I'm "that guy" on Pistolsmith.com with the TiAlN TRP and the W DLC TRP. I think it's $200 for a dealer to send a pistol and the 'smith may add a few bucks for their trouble. Either way it's a PHENOMENAL finish. Oh, and that TiAlN pistol went 5,000 rounds with no lube. The W DLC pistol is just over 3,000 rounds (ammo is getting expensive!! :surprise: ).

Give Ryan a call for clarification as I've been busy with several software applications, move, new job, etc. Gotta love SE Michigan economy...

Godspeed

Kevin Reed

Edited by Chui

I'm getting ready to coat a couple of guns. How does this Ionbond stuff hold up after time. My guns are blued with significant holster wear. If would be kind of stupid to shell out $400+ dollars to coat two pistols and end up with the same holster wear patterns.

I appreciate the pics of guns after they have been bonded, but I would sure like to see pics of used guns.

Go here for some testing I've been conducting on my personal 1911s. I'll soon have an HK45 done as well as a P7M8.

http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewforum.php?f...e7331b92714d184

There is NO wear if it's properly applied to the pistol.

If you wish to see what a finished pistol looks like or what a worn one looks like pick up any stainless steel Sig Sauer (e.g., P226R, P229, P239, etc) pistol slide. It, too, is Tungsten Diamond Like Carbon (W DLC).

Here's an IonBond coated pistol we just got back. The customer wanted a matte non-reflective finish and that's exactly what Ryan gave this one. It even threw off the exposure meter of the camera - the trigger looks radioactive but it is really glass bead blasted matte.

Every part except barrel, trigger, sights, and grips is coated.

Click for the full size pic!

DSCN1275_400x300.shkl.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally dropped my 1911 off with Ryan last Friday. I got sick of waiting and decided to drive down. The facilities were pretty impressive, and Ryan was a damn nice guy. I got to see a couple just completed guns. The way that the finish soaks up oil was almost startling. Anyway, he says I should have my gun back in about a month. I'll post pictures when I get it.

Chris

We are another location with an exclusive agreement for the facility in Bend, OR at this time. So I guess you could say we are an independent expansion of their offerings for their ultra thin coatings.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

We are another location with an exclusive agreement for the facility in Bend, OR at this time. So I guess you could say we are an independent expansion of their offerings for their ultra thin coatings.

Makes sense, thanks for the clarification!

I'm about to take the plunge and have my pistol IonBonded. One question I have is about the different finishes. Based on the pictures I have seen posted on the forum, some of the pistols look gray in color while others look truly black (or blue if you want to be technical). I want my 1911 to look black rather than gray. What causes this difference in color? Is there a certain finish I need to ask for in order to obtain the "black look"? :surprise My perference is to have my pistol look black instead of gray.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I just got back two magazines I sent in to get Ionbonded to determine which finish I liked better. I had the same problem with seeing all the finishes separately and not being able to see a difference. The mag on the left is the satin finish and the one on the right is the matte. The matte is a little lighter in color and a little greyer. The satin in more black and is slightly shinier. I prefer the satin. The newer Sig magazines come with a gloss finish and the older zipper ones had a matte grey finish. The satin is a happy medium and looks nice. If anyone would like more or different pics, let me know.

post-4035-1205169581.jpg

Adam

Edited by galt11

I just got back two magazines I sent in to get Ionbonded to determine which finish I liked better. I had the same problem with seeing all the finishes separately and not being able to see a difference. The mag on the left is the satin finish and the one on the right is the matte. The matte is a little lighter in color and a little greyer. The satin in more black and is slightly shinier. I prefer the satin. The newer Sig magazines come with a gloss finish and the older zipper ones had a matte grey finish. The satin is a happy medium and looks nice.

post-4035-1205169581.jpg

Adam

Thanks for the photos. I can tell the difference in the finishes in your photos. Helps in the decision making process. Thanks again.

I posted 7 days ago that I had dropped off my 1911 to get coated. Imagine my surprise when UPS left a package on my doorstep today. Ryan got my gun coated and in the mail within a week, making it a month sooner than I expected. That is what I call great service, and the finish looks awesome. I'll post pictures when I get the fiber optic for the front sight replaced. He opted to do it in the matte finish because of various imperfections in my gun's finish, saying that the satin would show them much more obviously.

I fully intend to get any custom guns in the future coated by IonBond. I'm very impressed.

Chris