Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are Your Club Matches On Saturday Or Sunday?

ExtremeShot

I voted for Saturday since two of the closest venues I attend are held then. One being about 1.5 miles away, the other about 20 miles. But, through-out the state most of the matches are held on Sunday's. It makes it nice, because then you can shoot matches both days two weekends a month! :) Which I routinely do.

I don't want to turn this into a heated anti/pro-religion discussion, but having mostly Sunday matches sure makes it tough on a guy/gal who wants to shoot USPSA and also wants to go to church (and set an example for his kids) on Sunday. I really hate having to make the choice every Sunday...and it's not an easy one! :)

Darren

Almost all of our club matches are on Sunday except USPSA. When i set it up we had several people say they were happy they could get to church and spend time with the family on Sundays. Also, it help since I set up the stages on Friday and don't have to worry about "hogging" the pistol ranges for the entire weekend.

Our local club only holds matches on Sunday, but every other match in the state seems to be on Saturdays.

I believe the Sunday USPSA match, which no longer exists, was doomed by being held on Sunday. It existed for a long time, but I'm guessing there wasn't much competiton from other matches at the time. Most local club members drifted to IDPA after seemingly getting burned out on USPSA.

I don't want to turn this into a heated anti/pro-religion discussion, but having mostly Sunday matches sure makes it tough on a guy/gal who wants to shoot USPSA and also wants to go to church (and set an example for his kids) on Sunday. I really hate having to make the choice every Sunday...and it's not an easy one! :)

Darren

Not that some of us practice shooting religiously and some don't. :D

Have you considered volunteering at one of your clubs to run a Saturday match? Bet you'd get some shooters who would like to get out more than once a week. :)

I voted Sunday. But here in the Philadelphia, PA area, we have 4 clubs that shoot on Sundays (Topton, Central Jersey, and Old Bridge) and one that shoot on Sat. (USANA). We also have a new club (Ontelaunee) that doesn't have a set schedule yet. All are approximately a 1 hour drive from Philadelphia.

When our local club reorganized (found a place to lease) about 6 years ago, they were shooting on the 1st and 3rd Sunday. They had 6-8 shooters.

Several of us who have commitments on Sunday asked them about having an occasional Saturday match. To make a long story short, when we started shooting on Saturday, our attendance almost doubled. We now shoot the 2nd and 4th Saturday and have 10-15 shooters every match and occasionally, several of our friendsfrom SE Mississippi come over. We have had as many as 30 shooters. Sure gets crowded on a small 5 bay range but we love it. :lol:

FWIW

dj

You know, a while back I inquired about having another USPSA match at our club and someone told me that I'd have to start another USPSA club in order to do it. ...it didn't really make sense at the time and I never got around to investigating what was said. However, the comment gave me the impression that a club could only have one match per month (which again didn't make sense to me).

With that said, sure I'd be willing to volunteer (if I had some help .....and, BTW, I think this is the main issue). I'll do some more inquiring to see if there's any interest.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Have you considered volunteering at one of your clubs to run a Saturday match? Bet you'd get some shooters who would like to get out more than once a week. :)
Edited by ExtremeShot

Amen, brother.