Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Well I Got My Baby Back After 2.5 Years

Larrys1911

Guys I got this back from a well known smith last friday.

there are a couple posts up on the 1911 forum about it in Gunsmithing

you can read the whole story if you like..

one is Professional ?

the other is what to do if a GS wont return your gun

or close..

heres the pictures

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/Shooter45_photo/

Im pretty sick

That is incredibly bad work. Most kitchen table dremel commando's can do a lot better than that. I have had one ruined by a 'gunsmith' before, so I know what that feeling in your gut is like.....

Dump it and start over, that gun will never feel right to you again no matter what.

now that the 1911 forum seems to be back up...

Heres the links to "the rest of the story"

What do I do now? Gunsmith has gun and I cant get him!

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=161392

Professional?

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=166537

Hope its OK to do that I really dont feel like retyping the whole thing.

Hsmith.... While dumping it is whats gonna end up happening this is no where near being over as far as im concerned. Ive been told by a couple smiths so far that it looks like its time for a new frame at min... because its no feasaable to fix this one.

I had a similar experience with a noted gunsmith in the American Pistolsmith Guild. Actually his work is first class , but what I later learned happened to mine was that he had taken on a new law enforcement assignment and left my gun to some rookie wanna be working in his shop.

He had my gun for over 18 months . When I got it back the bomar was bent ,the Colt Series 70 and pony polished of the slide just leaving a faint reminder of what was there. bluing was purple. New Briley barrel never would run and later broke at stirrup/feet. Finally took gun to another smith who put a schueman bbl in it and got it to running.

Was so upset I never went back to express my concerns to this guy. I did not want to go off on a guy that is now second in command to the sheriff in the county I live in.

I don't mean to be funny but, I can do better work with a file and sledge hammer.

Larry, my heart bleeds for you and your loss. The GS you sent it to should be held accountable. I hope you do not let him get away with this.

This gives me hope that my home gunsmithing endeavors will also yield "Professional" results. Heck, I even know the difference between Tritium and fiber optic sights, so I should be a step ahead. The welds on my homemade target stands look better than that.

Sorry, it bites to be ripped off.

Likes like he screwed up the beavertail, and welded it back up to start over - and that left you with the "oblong" hole, and the pitting and all that... :(

Really, really horrible, man :(

ETA - I read the threads on the 1911 forum... I see he did a lot of welding :(

Edited by XRe

Mod note: please don't post the individual/company name or references to them here. That would be "industry hate" and as-such is contrary to BE's rules.

Shred, Ive been on here a long time and you and I have talked on occasion.

I am not aiming this at you or this forum or any other for that matter.. THANK YOU and the 1911 Forum for LEAVING this up. there is one rather big forum that it stayed on for about 20 min before they deleted it.... GONE

I was sent a private message.

PLEASE DO NOT POST THINGS LIKE THIS ON THIS SITE...

So I appeciate the sites that have let it go.

Heres the beef though and as I said its not against this site, Brian, or you, or anyone in particular its just a general observation on my part...

I got a email from a gunsmith today with his phone # attached and "CALL ME"

we talked about this for a while but I was absolutely astonished at one thing he said...

Larry you will be blackballed by everyone in the gunsmithing industry if you keep this up....

HOLY SHIT this is amazing. This guy aint a flyby night smith, in fact hes a member here on this forum. I will bet money that there are several of the members that know him and probably have guns built by him. I personally know 4 ppl that have his guns right now.

everything from carry to full blown race guns. hes had guns featured in magazines.

this work is absolutely unacceptable. And guess what im told...... I SHOULD WALK ON EGG SHELLS.... WTF is up here guys?

If this was zumbo saying something anti gun, by God we can RUIN his life. we'll all stand up and he wont be able to get a job writing freakin want ads for the town paper.

But a well known smith RUINS my gun (Ive been told I may as well by a new frame and probably barrel too because it will be cheaper than fixing that one) and I get......

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

its not like he put the wrong site on my gun or left a couple tool marks or scratched the finish or charged more than he said he was going to by 50-100$

he RUINED MY GUN.

It really is amazing how the gun industry does things when you think about it.

Guy says he thinks Black rifles are evil - hes SCREWED

Guy Ruins a gun, we try to protect his rep..

Just venting

FWIW, as I understand it, the reason Brian has the 'no industry hate', among other rules, has nothing to do with the rightness and wrongness of any of it, but instead is about the vibe and atmosphere he wants here.

Gun had a broken rail, and messed up beavertail cut. It was ruined before the smith got it. He did a poor job, but unless you were paying as much or more than a new frame would have cost, it was never going to be like new.

Man that looks bad.

I had a well known guy and one of the guild members totally screw up a Wilson of mine and I just cut my losses and called Wilson. Sent the gun back to them to unfix what the first guy did and they did it for free other than shipping. Made it like new,, thanks to Wilson Combat!

I had a bad experience from one of the really 'BIG" semicustom mfgs as well. Then again Im not a sponsored shooter.

I wont let anyone I dont know work on a pistol now. Except I did buy a new gun from Dawson. I bought STI with upgrades and I will say its magnificent, I just wish I could shoot it for shit. :wacko:

Gun had a broken rail, and messed up beavertail cut. It was ruined before the smith got it. He did a poor job, but unless you were paying as much or more than a new frame would have cost, it was never going to be like new.

But shouldnt the smith have stated that?? Why would he take on a job he knew that was going to go bad?? I would have if I were the gunsmith.

Wide45

Uh, Ok I will be nice.

lets address those..

Broken rail.... thats nothing new Call EGW and ask. I did.

George LAUGHED at me... and replied you arent the first one by any means.

TO BE CLEAR HERE EGW DID NOT NOT NOT do this

smiths have been welding the rails to tighten slide to frame fit for years. nothing unusual here. so that one its a no go. yea it woulda been better than new...

So youre wrong there.

to the beavertail... I have ZERO Idea what you are talking about being "messed up" here. nothing and I mean NOTHING was wrong with the beavertail. I asked for it to be welded so a .25 radius beavertail could be fitted. I like the wilson beavertail. Springfield uses an oddball size raduis and you have to use a special beavertail or leave it stock OR have it welded and recut...

something else thats been going on for years. This wasnt work that HAD to be done it was something I WANTED done. If it was beyond his abilities he shoulda said right then and there. If he hadnt touched the beavertail area the frame would still be in good shape.

So youre wrong again.

now.

If you cant do something you tell the guy up front. No harm, no foul.

There was nothing unusual about what I asked him to do, he accepted the job with no hesitation at all. he was sent digital pictures of the frame rails well before I handed the gun to him on a gun range and he said it would be no problem to fix both times. It was In his hands to see and touch. he had ample oportunity to say I cant do this for you.

No sir that dog wont hunt.

OOPS one more thing... he sets his prices not me, so the amount of money agreed to means notta! He agreed to do the job, he agreed to do it for his price. end story.

Edited by Larrys1911

That's a classic example of crap, kinda deserves it's own web page? I am sure it will save other people some grief in the end. From the pictures it looks like a money-pit for another smith to try and save it.

I have here a Ruger #1 that I want to rebarrel but can't remember which smith did a bad job on a similar rifle from another forum... I will be sure not to send it to the same place. I much prefer to learn from other peoples mistakes than those of my own...

It's always confusing and frutrating dealing with someone like this.

Gunsmithing is a "technical art" and as such attracts a few technicians, a few artists and damned few good business men.

I've had my own nightmare story, but at least the work, when it was delivered, was nice.

Well,

Just got off the phone with the helper AGAIN...this morning

Interesting conversation where little was said but volumes were spoken.

me "When is he gonna call me?"

Helper "Well I gave him the message. He's been kinda busy but he has your number."

me "so I guess you guys dont think this a big deal?"

Silence

him " I gave him the message"

me "so you see nothing wrong with the work on this gun?"

H " well not really...no"

Me " what does not really mean"

H" NO I dont see anything wrong with it"

me "So you dont mind me showing it off and saying you did it? "

H " Well no I dont "

Me" OK good enough"

Click

Call back about 5 min later

me "So whats YOUR last name? "

H "why do you need MY name"

Me " well you said you have no problem with me showing it off and crediting it to you! "

H " Look I work for XXXX Im NOT getting involved in THIS! "

CLICK

SO

I guess now I know dont I!

Larry P