Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Program For Copying Dvd's

I want to burn copies of some of my DVD's. What is the best program.

I know that some will be protected and unable to copy them, that's fine. But what am I going to find at Best Buy, etc. that works the best for making my own copies for the garage.

I hate taking my good versions to a dusty and dirty environment.

Any suggestions.

Will either of the programs you guys have mentioned let me use a single DVD burner? or am I going to have to have two?

I didn't look at the pocket link. It tried to start loading and .exe program when I clicked on the link, so I wacked that.

Do you guys have any problems with either set up?

I used to use Nero to burn CD's and it was slow. But that could have been more a product of my system at the time. My current CPU is only a few months old. 2Gb/500Gb.

Heck my first computer only had 3k. :)

Will either of the programs you guys have mentioned let me use a single DVD burner?

Nero will. Most others will too.

Do you guys have any problems with either set up?

Burning DVDs can be a pain in the butt. I have made a few coasters. You will too. ;)

Dvd Shrink, so far its the easiet program I have found. Its freeware on top of that. You burn the Dvd to a file on the hard drive then from the file on the hard drive you burn to your Dvd burner. Its simple

Flyin40

Shrink eh? I'll give that a shot tonight. The price seems right 40 :D

Dvd Shrink, so far its the easiet program I have found. Its freeware on top of that. You burn the Dvd to a file on the hard drive then from the file on the hard drive you burn to your Dvd burner. Its simple

Flyin40

Shrink eh? I'll give that a shot tonight. The price seems right 40 :D

Where are you shooting this weekend????

Flyin40

Flyin40

+1 for DVD Shrink, free and easy to use. I use it with DVD Decrypter or Nero.

DVD Shrink is good, but not enough if any of your disks uses the newer forms of copy protection.

Get RipIt4Me. ( http://www.ripit4me.org/)

It uses DVD Shrink and a couple of other tools to do its magic (it will install them for you.)

Save the ripped DVD to an .ISO image and use imgburn to burn the DVD.

Here are two useful links:

'The Golden Rules of Burning'

RipIt4Me tutorial

on a mac, mactheripper to deal with the decryption, then toast titanium to burn.

Ayup, this will remove any form of protection out there AND it makes the new copy region free. You end up with an un-encrypted, region-free DVD after you are done. Scan the label of the original and use the image to make a label with the satin film labels CD Stomper makes and you can hardly tell the difference from the original except for one little detail, it's UN-ENCRYPTED and REGION-FREE!!!!

It will also crack out just the main feature ifn'ya wanna' make pod vid later on ;-)

I keep a copy of it stowed here (page 2): http://applescore.com/download/Software/

• 3 weeks later...

I had mixed success with DVD Shrink. After I compressed the video, I would often get audio issues (depending on how the video was encoded). DVD Shrink was created to compress Dual Layer movies so they would fit on a (cheaper) Single Layer DVD. The trick is that not all compression software is equal. I have seen a noticeable difference in movie quality depending on the 'shrinking' software. Of course, if you are watching the movie on a 480 line monitor/TV you won't tell as much of a difference.

After you remove the encyrption / copy protection, DVD Copy by Intervideo has worked extremely well for me. However, it is not freeware.