Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flex$

Flexmoney

Along the lines of BE's example...

I am thinking of shooting a match this Sunday...a rare winter match at a club I usually don't hit too much anymore. The cost is $20, plus drive time and ammo. I often don't get much out of their matches. Maybe I'd be better off trying to find some of that Sam Adams Oktoberfest beer some place, and throwing a steak on the grill. (weather looks decent)

The real reason for me to go shoot would be to see the shooters. I usually don't get much out of this match.

So...

The fear is going and halfassing the shooting...which is likely more destructive than productive..

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kinda hard to get some shooting in lately, due to the holiday shopping, and wanting to kill a deer, wet weather, etc. But if you can go shoot a match that you don't shoot very often, do it, maybe you will learn something out of it. Maybe even help a newbie learn something. anyway you look at it you can make it a productive outing.

PK

With concerns such as "cost, drive time, ammo, usually don't get much out of it" - I don't know - but a steak on the grill and a beer or two sounds like a pretty good idea. The worn out cliche "it's better to be safe than sorry" comes to mind.

be

:D

With concerns such as "cost, drive time, ammo, usually don't get much out of it" - I don't know - but a steak on the grill and a beer or two sounds like a pretty good idea. The worn out cliche "it's better to be safe than sorry" comes to mind.

be

:D

You're right. It sure doesn't sound like I'm too excited about it. :o

Pretty hard to have a bad day if you choose the steak and beer route ;-)

That does sound good. Maybe I can do both.

Your "halfassing" shooting is better than most of us do "fullass"!

Mike, Kimball called me...wanting to go. It's good to go places with Kimball. And, he just likes to shoot.

Shoot the match with a revolver.

Well, that would be a change of pace. But, I think the beer and steak would win out.

ps shoot open ...

You know...I might seriously have to get my hammer and dremel out and make a gun that runs for the match.

Or shoot the match with a revo, a beer, and a steak. Now that's He-Man.

That would be completely stealing the thunder of one of our other shooters...or maybe just joining the party.

Flex, I still owe you for the Alpha count at Rayners. B)

I figure with intrest I'm up to about 3 beers. ;)

Sound like a plan ???

Don Johnson said he would drive, with me and Pharoh Bender riding shotgun and pimp ... so you can be our fourth.

B)

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

Maybe I'm not a GM.......but "halfassing the shooting" is detrimental?

What happened to shooting for the joy of it?

What happened to being a neutral observer and just learning?

Do you feel the same about practice or is this a factor other people seeing the results?

When did a steak and a good brew stay a good time and shooting without a good performance become painful?

If you don't really want to shoot...Why would you?

I have shot a lot of matches when I didn't even feel like picking up a pistol. I did it to help neighboring clubs and to promote the sport. Of course we have very small clubs and we need to support one another. Now a days, if I don't feel like shooting, I don't shoot. I think it's called burn out.

One of the world's all time great competitors, Miyamoto Musashi, said: "Do nothing which is of no use."

What's the pay value for attending this match?

To see how you would do under those circumstances without judgement. The times match day and your best mindset occur are not always concurrent events. Sometimes all things are against you. Maybe physically you're not right, tired or more likely hungover :P Maybe you had an argument or there is a stressful project at work. So what do you do? Let it loose and see what happens. It's an on demand sport...so do it on demand and just always look to see how well you can do without getting attached to the outcome.

My .02

Edited by carinab

Wow...a lot of responses....where to start...

Hey Flex, are you still the section coordinator? ;):huh::ph34r::lol:

This match is a totally non-sanctioned match, and not likely to be. So, no real SC duties that I can roll into this one. (Though we are likely to have between 1 and 4 new Ohio clubs next year...for those that might like that info.)

I'll practice before I'll shoot a match I don't care for.

That has generally been my position on this match...I'd be better off getting some real practice in.

but "halfassing the shooting" is detrimental?

I have found it to be...on many occasions. A big part of shooting, for me, is the mental aspect. Part of that is how I see myself. I don't want to build a self-image of a halfassed shooter.

What happened to shooting for the joy of it?

Well, there is that. But, it can be hard to find at this match...for me.

What happened to being a neutral observer and just learning?

There is that hope. :blink:

Do you feel the same about practice or is this a factor other people seeing the results?
Often, I do feel the same about practice. There are times when grinding it out works for me. But, if I am shooting really poorly, I'll often stop. I don't want to practice sucking. (Usually, I'd switch gears and go practice something else.)
When did a steak and a good brew stay a good time and shooting without a good performance become painful?
There is lots of shooting I don't like. For instance, about the only time I spend on an indoor range is to sight in or the like. I'm usually in and out in 10-15 minutes of pulling into the parking lot. I like the stimulation of a good shooting test.
a while back..when I did not feel like shooting..but I had the time..I would just go hang out. found it fun to hang out with old friends and make some new ones..

Yep. I believe I've done that once with this match...as I was passing through.

What's the pay value for attending this match?

To see how you would do under those circumstances without judgement. The times match day and your best mindset occur are not always concurrent events. Sometimes all things are against you. Maybe physically you're not right, tired or more likely hungover Maybe you had an argument or there is a stressful project at work. So what do you do? Let it loose and see what happens. It's an on demand sport...so do it on demand and just always look to see how well you can do without getting attached to the outcome

I've certainly explored that quite a bit.

The pay value needs to exceed the opportunity costs.

Take the sights off your pistol and learn
I usually get a match or so in without sights every so often. I like to do that when I've been shooting a bunch...to look for different inputs and feed-backs. I'd need to stick with sights right now though.

Chris, looks like we have a few from the Columbus area that are going to make another car load.

(you all talked me into it) :D