Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flex$

Flexmoney

New year...better update the diary. :)

Ohio match 2011

Pre-match notes

I'm a bit rusty wink.gif, which tends to result in blowing off the fundamentals and shooting with a speed focus...instead of turning up the vision. My index is not what it used to be (which I feel is of great importance).

I started a new job (my old job, but a new position) on Monday. I wasn't signed up for the match yet...needed to see how the job thing played out. It played out well, and I took vacation on Friday. biggrin.gif Pretty last minute, but that is how it goes sometimes. (I didn't have to work the match this year...first time ever. Thanks Dan.)

I still didn't know if I would shoot, but planned to head down to Cincy for the staff day and help out as needed. It took me longer to get out of Columbus than I planned (needed to work on the bike a bit before I left.) I'm not scheduled to work or shoot...so I figured I'd play it by ear.

I rode into the range at about lunch time. I talked to Dan (MD), he says the match is running well, he doesn't need any more manpower. I took care of some administrative details.

post-690-072913000 1306165503_thumb.jpg

Then, I figured I might as well shoot. :) I go to find Keen (stats guy) and I jump into the match with the staff, who are about half done. The gear I threw together in case I got to shoot was going to land me either in Limited or Limited-10, shooting Minor. (went with L-10)

Match

Stage 3 - Not So Fast: (half-way up the hill) I hustle to jump in with the squad I am joining, who is already shooting Stage 3. I clip on some gear so I can get in there.

The first thing I do is miss the big old activating popper. This first array is 9 rounds (it is legal, there is movement). I have 11 in the gun...I hose 3 mikes.rolleyes.gif That starts me off with a standing reload. ugh. I always figure a standing reload at 3 seconds, plus the time wasted for the mikes... I still mange 99% on the stage, but left a lot of potential match points behind. Stage 3 results.

Stage 4 - I'm Seeing Double: (memory stage) Coming off stage 3, I am still in my heavy jeans/boots/etc. from the bike ride to Cincy. It is going to be warm. I need to get out of the heavy stuff and into the right gear. Plus I need to get my belt setup properly. I figure I'll do all that changing up while the squad looks over the next stage. I can usually pick up a stage plan pretty quickly...shouldn't be any issue, right? I burn a lot of time, when I finally get to the stage I realize it is the memory stage from hell. dry.gif I have no plan and no time to come up with one. I end up with a time of 35seconds. I think I had 4 targets that I shoot 4 shots on. I give up 50+ points to the stage winner. Stage 4 results.

Stage 5 - JJ From Norway: (field course up top) I need to shoot this one well. It goes pretty good. I win the stage by 10%. Stage 5 results.

Stage 6 - Hosefest: (speedy stage, across the creek) I win this stage by 12% Stage 6 results.

Stage 7 - Life's Little Problems: (quick stage with the low port) Opps. There is a partial target on the left that has a tight no-shoot. I am shooting minor, so I pick a spot on the lower Alpha as an aiming point. At the last minute, I decide to take the safer head shots on that target. I end up taking that target for granted and whiff two mikes. Then, springing out of the port and hitting my reload...I have a bit too much steam and kinda over run the fault line on the right. I shoot those right two targets with one foot in as I am falling out of the shooting area. Plenty of time to get the shoots off, but I rush them a bit, not wanting to fault. I whiff the second shot on the first target. Three mikes. Fast time. One mike, instead of three, and I practically tie for the stage win. But, the game is to hit the targets. :) I tie for last place. 40 points gone. Stage 7 results.

Stage 8 - The Big Bopper: (stage with all the movers) I should do well on this one, but I don't. There was a dance with some one handed shooting...standing reload after some mikes in the middle port..,and a mike on paper. Pretty ugly. I end up 7th, at 50 points off the leader. Stage 8 results.

Stage 9 - Watch Your Muzzle: I shoot this one decent. I figure I won it, but end up in a dead heat (99.9%) and take second. Stage 9 results.

At this point, I need to shoot stages 1 & 2 to finish, but they are bagged for the day. I'll need to finish on Sunday.

The results show that Ross N. is winning so far. He is 270 points ahead of me. The two stages I have left are worth 260 points. I need to win them both and by enough margin to push his points down. Ross is pretty athletic, and it will be tough to take points from him on Stage 1 (which he leads). There is some room to work on Stage 2, however.

Sunday...

I come back Sunday morning. I figure to shoot with the group I rode with. They should hit stages I need just after lunch. But, they get backed up a bit on Stage 8. (Stage 8 wasn't really slow, just the speedy stages that were ahead of it were turning shooters fast). I figure that I might as well go shoot Stages 1 & 2 and get them done.

I need to win both these stages to even have a shot.

Stage 1 - Sub-Zero: (Retreating stage, with the window and swingers) I needed a good run here. I won the stage by 9%. Stage 1 results.

Stage 2 - Shimmy Slide: I needed good run here too. I ran a good time, but dropped more points than I wanted (did I mention, minor sucks?). I ended up winning this stage by about 10%. Stage 2 results.

So, I needed to win those two stages to even be close. I won them, but I didn't know if it would matter. Later, I ran some score sheets in to stats, and Chris (stats guy) tells me that I took the lead. I was surprised. I think I was up by about 15pts.

Now it was up to those that were still shooting on Sunday. I hung with the group that Micah (Lim-10) was shooting on. He was shooting solid. He had the memory stage 4 (that I tanked) as his next to last stage. He nailed it, beating me by 50+ points and taking the lead going into his last stage (I stopped by stats ;) ). I had shot Stage 5 pretty well and figured that I'd win it. Which would put us in a dead heat. And, that is exactly how it went down.

And, to add a twist, Jake Martins ends up beating us both. biggrin.gif Some of Jakes scores must not have been into stats yet and we didn't realize he was in it. He shot solid and won by about 25 points. Good job, Jake!

I was happy to be able to pull back into the race by winning stages 1 & 2 when I needed to. Kinda cool.

I won 4 stages, finished at 99% on 2 more...and really tanked the other 3 stages.

And, just as a reminder to myself...minor sucks. I probably had a dozen or more overlay'able hits that didn't make it to the A-zone. With minor, that is like having a couple of extra Mikes.

Good match. Good time.

Shoot Alphas!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad I saw your last post. Looking at just the score sheet it looked like you decided to run the gun "checkers or wreckers". This explains a lot. Hopefully I will be able to get down to circleville and shoot with you and the crew I shot with at Rayners. It makes it easy to learn when everyone on the squad is good and willing to help a new guy. I got the sevignys hammered onto the 35 and mags that hold more than 8 rounds. I will have to see if I can muster up a little more than 48% of your score.

It was a great match and alot of fun.

I knew that my hits and points would stand up, wasn't sure about my times though.

I went thru and I thing that between you , Micah and me we changed leads 3 times after stage 5.

I am glad I wasn't paying attention to it and just kept my focus on shooting clean!!

Hmmm...Limited 6.

BTW... going to Limited 5. blink.gif

I just issued a J-frame Challenge...calling out all the local guys to shoot our July Steel Challenge match with their little J-frames.

I need to learn how to shoot this little sucker. What better way to shake it out than under some competition pressure.

If you are around, come on out and kick my butt with a 5 shot snubbie!

3rd Saturday (July 16th) at Circleville, PCSI

I am glad I wasn't paying attention to it and just kept my focus on shooting clean!!

Yeah...I didn't tell Micah what the score was (between us) going into the last stage. I didn't want him to have to worry about that.

New year...better update the diary. :)

Ohio match 2011

Pre-match notes

I'm a bit rusty wink.gif, which tends to result in blowing off the fundamentals and shooting with a speed focus...instead of turning up the vision. My index is not what it used to be (which I feel is of great importance).

I started a new job (my old job, but a new position) on Monday. I wasn't signed up for the match yet...needed to see how the job thing played out. It played out well, and I took vacation on Friday. biggrin.gif Pretty last minute, but that is how it goes sometimes. (I didn't have to work the match this year...first time ever. Thanks Dan.)

I still didn't know if I would shoot, but planned to head down to Cincy for the staff day and help out as needed. It took me longer to get out of Columbus than I planned (needed to work on the bike a bit before I left.) I'm not scheduled to work or shoot...so I figured I'd play it by ear.

I rode into the range at about lunch time. I talked to Dan (MD), he says the match is running well, he doesn't need any more manpower. I took care of some administrative details.

post-690-072913000 1306165503_thumb.jpg

Then, I figured I might as well shoot. :) I go to find Keen (stats guy) and I jump into the match with the staff, who are about half done. The gear I threw together in case I got to shoot was going to land me either in Limited or Limited-10, shooting Minor. (went with L-10)

Match

Stage 3 - Not So Fast: (half-way up the hill) I hustle to jump in with the squad I am joining, who is already shooting Stage 3. I clip on some gear so I can get in there.

The first thing I do is miss the big old activating popper. This first array is 9 rounds (it is legal, there is movement). I have 11 in the gun...I hose 3 mikes.rolleyes.gif That starts me off with a standing reload. ugh. I always figure a standing reload at 3 seconds, plus the time wasted for the mikes... I still mange 99% on the stage, but left a lot of potential match points behind. Stage 3 results.

Stage 4 - I'm Seeing Double: (memory stage) Coming off stage 3, I am still in my heavy jeans/boots/etc. from the bike ride to Cincy. It is going to be warm. I need to get out of the heavy stuff and into the right gear. Plus I need to get my belt setup properly. I figure I'll do all that changing up while the squad looks over the next stage. I can usually pick up a stage plan pretty quickly...shouldn't be any issue, right? I burn a lot of time, when I finally get to the stage I realize it is the memory stage from hell. dry.gif I have no plan and no time to come up with one. I end up with a time of 35seconds. I think I had 4 targets that I shoot 4 shots on. I give up 50+ points to the stage winner. Stage 4 results.

Stage 5 - JJ From Norway: (field course up top) I need to shoot this one well. It goes pretty good. I win the stage by 10%. Stage 5 results.

Stage 6 - Hosefest: (speedy stage, across the creek) I win this stage by 12% Stage 6 results.

Stage 7 - Life's Little Problems: (quick stage with the low port) Opps. There is a partial target on the left that has a tight no-shoot. I am shooting minor, so I pick a spot on the lower Alpha as an aiming point. At the last minute, I decide to take the safer head shots on that target. I end up taking that target for granted and whiff two mikes. Then, springing out of the port and hitting my reload...I have a bit too much steam and kinda over run the fault line on the right. I shoot those right two targets with one foot in as I am falling out of the shooting area. Plenty of time to get the shoots off, but I rush them a bit, not wanting to fault. I whiff the second shot on the first target. Three mikes. Fast time. One mike, instead of three, and I practically tie for the stage win. But, the game is to hit the targets. :) I tie for last place. 40 points gone. Stage 7 results.

Stage 8 - The Big Bopper: (stage with all the movers) I should do well on this one, but I don't. There was a dance with some one handed shooting...standing reload after some mikes in the middle port..,and a mike on paper. Pretty ugly. I end up 7th, at 50 points off the leader. Stage 8 results.

Stage 9 - Watch Your Muzzle: I shoot this one decent. I figure I won it, but end up in a dead heat (99.9%) and take second. Stage 9 results.

At this point, I need to shoot stages 1 & 2 to finish, but they are bagged for the day. I'll need to finish on Sunday.

The results show that Ross N. is winning so far. He is 270 points ahead of me. The two stages I have left are worth 260 points. I need to win them both and by enough margin to push his points down. Ross is pretty athletic, and it will be tough to take points from him on Stage 1 (which he leads). There is some room to work on Stage 2, however.

Sunday...

I come back Sunday morning. I figure to shoot with the group I rode with. They should hit stages I need just after lunch. But, they get backed up a bit on Stage 8. (Stage 8 wasn't really slow, just the speedy stages that were ahead of it were turning shooters fast). I figure that I might as well go shoot Stages 1 & 2 and get them done.

I need to win both these stages to even have a shot.

Stage 1 - Sub-Zero: (Retreating stage, with the window and swingers) I needed a good run here. I won the stage by 9%. Stage 1 results.

Stage 2 - Shimmy Slide: I needed good run here too. I ran a good time, but dropped more points than I wanted (did I mention, minor sucks?). I ended up winning this stage by about 10%. Stage 2 results.

So, I needed to win those two stages to even be close. I won them, but I didn't know if it would matter. Later, I ran some score sheets in to stats, and Chris (stats guy) tells me that I took the lead. I was surprised. I think I was up by about 15pts.

Now it was up to those that were still shooting on Sunday. I hung with the group that Micah (Lim-10) was shooting on. He was shooting solid. He had the memory stage 4 (that I tanked) as his next to last stage. He nailed it, beating me by 50+ points and taking the lead going into his last stage (I stopped by stats ;) ). I had shot Stage 5 pretty well and figured that I'd win it. Which would put us in a dead heat. And, that is exactly how it went down.

And, to add a twist, Jake Martins ends up beating us both. biggrin.gif Some of Jakes scores must not have been into stats yet and we didn't realize he was in it. He shot solid and won by about 25 points. Good job, Jake!

I was happy to be able to pull back into the race by winning stages 1 & 2 when I needed to. Kinda cool.

I won 4 stages, finished at 99% on 2 more...and really tanked the other 3 stages.

And, just as a reminder to myself...minor sucks. I probably had a dozen or more overlay'able hits that didn't make it to the A-zone. With minor, that is like having a couple of extra Mikes.

Good match. Good time.

Shoot Alphas!

Fun/good/informational read!!

• 1 month later...

Area 5 - 2011

I tried to write this match up a couple of different times. Somehow, I kept losing the data. Lets try again.

First and foremost... I have commented/thought, over the last handful of years, that we are very lucky to have such high quality Major matches to shoot. We are a bit spoiled by the quality and administration of these matches. Given that, and in a sea of great matches...

The Area 5 match held at Pasa Park was the best put-together match I have been to...out of ANY match...bar none.

Pre-match notes

I went to this match, knowing that I've been hosing along with my shooting. I decided to shoot this match clean. Which, for me and the (lack of) practice that I have put into my shooting, would mean my shooting would be conservative and likely turn out a bit slow.

There were a handful of good Production shooters at the match, but Ben was the only proven top-tier Production shooter in the bunch. This is a World Shoot year, he is on the World Shoot Team...he was likely to nail the match. And, being the one top-tier shooter in the group, he was likely to win stages...which would boost his overall points lead. That was good for me. It would give me something solid to gauge my shooting off of.

Being a realist, I was going in looking to placing at 85-90% . Anything above that, I figure Ben would have to have some meltdowns to pull my percentage up. (He didn't. He nailed the match.)

My desire was to shoot solid and let the speed, stage time, setups, etc fall where they may. And, if I could do that...at a 14 stage match...maybe it would turn out OK.

Match

I shot on Thursday...staff day...and worked the match Friday, Saturday & Sunday. We had a good squad...me, Chad and 4 work-horse studs from Indy. But, there were only 6 of us...and 14 stages. That is a lot of work for one day. And, it was hot enough.

Early in the week, I had woke up to my left calf muscle balled up in a cramp. I was working at stretching, hydrating and keeping my electrolytes up all week. I knew trekking over Pasa Park all day was going to be a challenge. And, it was. Stage after stage...I would hydrate, and I was just struggling to keep up. I wanted to be in a place where I was hydrated enough to have to take a leak every stage or two...but it wasn't happening.

Things were going pretty well. I was shooting clean.

We started on Stage 1 (the dark house). We then skipped the 4 speed shoot stages, as the squads ahead of us seemed to have traded places on those two bays. We went on ahead and the next bays were empty. I continued to shoot clean, and a bit conservative.

As I recall, before lunch, we finished off all the field course on the left hill (thru stage 9...which was a killer, with those sideways swingers). I think we then went on to climb "the hill" to stage 10 to shoot it before lunch. I was still shooting clean, and conservative. :)

We made our way to Smith & Wesson Hall for lunch. I usually try to be careful and not eat a huge lunch. If I do, the following stages are often tanked. But, with the work the 6 of us were doing, my body seemed to be craving some fuel. I ate more than I thought I should. It turned out OK, and I didn't get too bogged down after lunch.

We started the afternoon with all the field courses in the right/lower valley still to shoot (Stages 11-14), plus those 4 speed shoots that we had skipped over that morning. As we make our way down through the field courses, our whole squad is starting to lose steam. I was glad I was with these guys, because they soldiered on were lesser man would have slacked off. I was having to stretch...a lot...every stage just to keep my calf muscles from locking up. I was so happy to get done with the field courses, as my calf muscles felt like they were going to completely lock up on me. We still had the speed shoots to go, but those weree stand and shoot kind of stages. I was still shooting clean.

We made our way back to Stage 2 and the speed shoots. I am dragging, but we get to stand still, right? :)

I shoot Stage 2. I have a little hitch in my trigger finger or something and turn in a slow time...fighting to get through. Stage 3 is the barricade stage with the 6 poppers. I think it is a classifier. I run the first 5 poppers great. The last popper takes me most of the rest of my magazine. Being as stiff as I was, I had failed to get my head out to the side of the barricade enough. By the time I got to that last popper, my left eye was obscured by the barricade. A rookie mistake. I end up 13th on a stage I might have won (there is 8pts, right there). I think that is the first steel I didn't go one-for-one on in the match.

We move over tho the next bay. Our squad will be shooting the poker table stage first, then finishing on the barricade stage with the swingers and activators. Ben comes up and we talk a bit. I shoot the poker stage well and win it. I still have to shoot the comstock barricade stage. The last barricade had about done me in. This one has much tougher angles. When I lean around the barricade in the walk-thru, my calves tell me to f*#k off. But, it's just one more stage. I make it through. I do have to hit a make-up shot for one of the little poppers, and my points on paper are crap (41/55).

I finish the match clean. This was a super technical match. Lots and lots of tough shots. It is 14 stages. Finishing it clean is great. Not many people are going to go clean... Well, except for Ben, and Jean-Philippe Drolet (a great Canadian talent who came in and beat me out of second by 8pts).

I finished right around 90% of Ben...and edged out Matt Hopkins and Lee Dimaculangan. A pretty good showing. I wanted to shoot solid, and I did.

My stage planning was a bit off, which is odd for me. I did things that I've preached against in the past. Little stuff, that ads up. Hindsight is 20/20. :)

(read at you own grammatical risk. Like many of my long posts lately... written over a few sittings and not proof read. Please don't tell my English teacher about my changes in tense and all the other errors.)

Next up...

J-frame Challenge (steel with a 5-shot snubbie)

History

Last winter the local shops had new S&W J-frames on sale for $350, and there was a $50 mail-in rebate to go with. So, $300 for a prolific S&W icon...? Ahhh...yup!

Next...how do you shoot these things?!?! While they carry well, they are not easy to shoot. Nor, are they magically going to work without putting in some effort. I think it is silly/arrogant/etc. to have a gun that might be used for self defense and not put hundreds of rounds through it. The gun needs broken in. The shooter needs acclimated to the gun. The whole system needs proven (gun, shooter, ammo, etc.).

I start dry-firing this gun. I am just trying to figure out the grip and trigger pull...trying to keep the sights somewhere on target as I work the gun. The sights...did I mention the sights? Pretend I didn't...they are, um, challenging. But, I do need the feedback and the (fixed) sights that are on my model are what I am working with. The more I dry-fire the little snubbie, the more I feel something is wrong. I finally realize that the barrel is installed wrong. It is clocked...ever so slightly. In go online and get a repair ticket to send it back into S&W (no hassle, btw).

Before I send it in...I want to shoot it. So, I get it out to the range this spring. Sure enough, that little bit of barrel clocking (and sight clocking) results in the gun being quite a bit off, even at 10y. Off it goes.

I get the gun back. I take it to the indoor range and run 50 rounds through it to make sure it works. It seems to be good. My skills with it... questionable. blink.gif

I am calling you suckers out!

I know a lot of local guys have these guns. I know some of them have some good time on them. I figure, what better way to get to know the gun than under a bit of match pressure (thanks HH). If I can't run the gun in a match...then I don't need to run it anywhere, right? Plus, I might get to see the tips and tricks from those with more experience than me.

I send out an email and invite everybody to come kick my butt with their J-frames at the local Steel Challenge match.

Match format

Steel Challenge is up to 5 plates. Snubbies are 5 round guns. Perfect. :)

We decide to start from the "low ready" position for the newly formed J-frame division. No holsters. Other than that, we ran it per Steel Challenge rules. (We might need to up the penalty for mikes...to entice reloads.)

The Match Director took good care of us (thanks Mads). He got out all the big steel, and kept it fairly close. :) Courses of fire were quick and fun. (We might not need that level of pampering next time...since we proved these guns can shoot. Well...proved it to me, at least.)

If you haven't shot much Steel Challenge, you do 5 runs per stage...and keep the best 4 of those 5 for score. It is time plus scoring, with a 3 second penalty for a mike.

The shooters

We end up with about 8 guys that made the J-frame Challenge. We squad together.

A few guys have experience with the snubbies, but not any experience shooting the Steel Challenge format. (Not that it is hard to figure out, but there is an advantage to knowing the game.)

A couple of guys have experience with the match format, but not really a whole lot of time on the J-frame.

One guy is a past Steel Challenge match director, has won multiple USPSA revolver matches (Master), and owns/carries 3 J-frames. I will call him...lucky! bow.gif (thanks Bro!)

Then there is me. I've probably won more Steel matches at this club than anybody on the planet, but...I am brand new to the J-frame. I don't have more than 100 rounds through it, and those were to see if it worked. I don't even know if I can hit the targets. But, when in doubt...execute the fundamentals.

Trouble is...I am not sure how to execute those fundamentals. I am still wondering if I can keep the gun aligned on target while I work the trigger. I've settled in a grip that is different from everybody else. I tell folks that it is the grip that Jerry M. uses when shooting a J-frame. I think it is...I might have saw that in a video once. wink.gif

The shooting

- stage 1. We start on Double Trouble...which is basically a Mozambique...two to the body (big plate) and one to the head, at 8y or so. I am happy to learn that I can hit these targets (big and easy). Lucky pours on some skill and takes the lead. I think I end up in 2nd on this stage...to "lucky"

- Stage 2 is a version of Flyin W. Think of 5 plates in a W pattern...high-low-high-low-high. our Match Director has designated the middle plate as the stop plate. These are all round plates. I am curious to see if I can hit them.

I bury that front sight in the notch and really try to get good hits. At this point, I don't really know where me/gun/ammo are going to hit. I end up center punching the steel. Cool. I can hit what I aim at.

Realizing I can hit and getting used to the gun...I get about half a second faster on each run. Well, except for the 5th run (we get to keep 4 and throw out the bad run, remember?). I want to see what I can do. What I can do is miss the stop plate. Great, now I get to see what I reload is like with this J-frame while on the clock. Um... reloads need work....lots and lots of work. blink.gif

I do OK here.

Here is one of the slow, early runs (looks like run 2). By run 4 I am almost a second faster.

- Stage 3. On this stage we were back to 3 big targets, a (-1s) option plate, and a big stop plate. Getting cocky with my new found skill...I turn the vision off and hose this one up. I end up with 2 keeper runs that I missed the option plate on. That is +2 seconds for the match (which is about 6% at this match).

Here is one of the guys (Hammerspring), who decided to skip the option plate: http://www.youtube.c...u/2/VuV1aHvapMI

- Stage 4. This stage is a local favorite. The 4 big targets are soooo easy that...shooters end up not stopping the gun on target. They will eat a mike, but it sounds like a hit, as they end up with an extra hit on one of the other plates.

I win this stage. With that crappy sights so hard to see on my J-frame...and the fast targets...I kinda floated the front sight on those big targets, allowing me some useful visual feedback. But, I really struggled to then bury that front sight (as needed) into the notch to hit the stop plate.

Here is Conrad on this stage:

http://www.youtube.c...u/3/K2ZiPt3Z9Ro

Summary

I learned a lot. This is a tough gun to shoot, but it will work if you execute the fundamentals. Control.

BillOH really helped out a bunch at this match. And, after the match, he ran a show and tell session with quite a variety of guns...various J-frames, Kel-techs, Kahrs, Rugers... 380, 9mm, 38's...steel guns...different grips, etc.

Grips. There are trade offs with grips. The ones that feel nice, are bigger. Plus, almost all those that were in the know (not me) had relieved their grips to allow clearance to the speed loaders. Me...I brought my dremel and spent time between stages grinding away at my gun in the safe area. devil.gif

Sights. The fixed sights on my 642...well, they can work. You can hit with them, but they are hard to get feedback from while at speed. There are other versions of the J-frame out there. They almost all have better sights. And, yes...use your sights.

Reloads. Depending on your conditioning, you could be 25 - 50 - 100 yards away or more in the time it takes to do a reload. Run away!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a G26 (mini 9mm) and thought I'd give it it's first workout at Rayner's local match. (Carry holster and all.)

After the match, a couple of the Rayner's clan saw some foreign object on one of the paper targets on the bay we just finished on...

- "Hey Kyle, I bet you a dollar you can't hit that."

I quickly called that bet. wink.gif

I had second thoughts for a moment...this being a gun that I had only shoot in this match and never put on paper...with a fulling stock trigger and factory plastic sights. I got over that real quick with a thought to fundamentals.

Eassssy money. laugh.gif

Yep the G26 is a good shooter. I won a G21 using my G26 at the GSSF Match in Thibodaux this spring.

Indiana State - 2011 (please forgive typos and grammer errors, posted over a few sittings and not proof read)

I dug a bit of a hole on the first stage of the day (Stage 8), then dug a really big hole on the next stage (9). I shot most of the rest of the field courses decent, but not really aggressive (if that is the right word).

Ben's video is pretty much in the same order that our squad shot the stages. I told him I'd compare and contrast some of the different ways we shot the stages. I don't really think much of the differences in our results were stage planning related...I'd give credit to Ben's execution.

Here is Ben's video: http://www.youtube.c...u/0/uoAD4Cqf9y0

I was surprised to see that I made it to 3rd place, and only 12pts back from 2nd. (Behind Ben and Lee D.)

Stage 8 - First stage on the bottom, with the postal box start position and all the little ports.

Right out the gate, I hopalong and fall out of the shooting area. I do a little dance to get back in and shoot the first target one-handed...gangsta-style. rolleyes.gif I see the hits on that first target. They are an inch apart, but I notice one is a Charlie. My mind shifts into high gear for the next few targets, I check myself right after the first mag (another Charlie) and tell myself to see more. I end the stage with 29 Alpha, 3 Charlie. Hard to say how long my little fallout dance at the start was. It wasn't pretty.

I end up in the stage pretty well though, right with Lee D.

Ben, we were the same through the first two mags. On mag 3, I hit a spot back from the wall a bit. I was able to take 3 targets here with[out] much/any body shift. The last mag got me the target on the ground and the low target on the stack, then the 3 in the tunnel (all from one foot position).

Stage 9 - This was the stage with the laying down start, and the targets on the ground in the middle, two swingers at the end with a foot pad activator.

Lets just say I had magazine stowing issues and move on. I end up in 22nd place on this stage, giving up 30 some points to the 2nd place finisher on the stage.

I am in a hole now, deep.

Stage 10 - Stage with the Texas Star and the activator with the bag of dimes at the start.

There are some things here I might have done differently...if I weren't coming off those first two bad stages. In the meanwhile, the Match Director comes up and asks me to bump up in the shooting order, as the local news crew is there and he wants them to video me.

I need to shoot solid here and do. I bit off the pace. But I'm in a virtual tie for second, due to decent points.

Ben, I went ahead and placed the bag, took the static, activator, the left two paper targets and a quick swing to take right popper in the middle array. I then did a quick load and a shuffle step for the paper, left popper and the close paper...through the little port that was right there. Reloaded and took off to the the paper target that was to the right of the star, took it while slowing a bit, then the popper and the star (light setup, not moving). Then, to the back corner and finished the last 5 paper as you did.

Stage 11 - Shaky Bridge.

Again, I am a few seconds off the pace, but my points are good and I take a solid 2nd on the stage.

Ben, I do a big drop step on the draw and shoot all 5 of the paper from that one position, instead of backing out. I just take the two far paper from the bridge and leave the steel for later. After the bridge, I take the three paper on the right, then move down and in as I take the steel. Reload and take the two paper moving to the window, and finish the three paper through the window. (So, I do more of an "L" pattern toward the steel and don't shortcut like you and Micah did. )

Stage 1 - Another stage with the mags on the barrels. This one had the start holding the noose, and the pull ropes that held the windows open. This was a neat stage. 29 Alpha and 3 Charlie. I end up in a solid 2nd. I was overly conservative on the one-handed shooting, it felt...maybe it was the transitions.

Ben, I shot the left target, then the left window. Through that left window, I shot left-to-right, allowing me to back up a bit toward the original barrel, where I grabbed a reload and then shot the right target coming over, then shot the right window. I went to the left side in the back, coming in on the 3rd target, then settling a bit to shoot the rest from left-to-right. Then reloaded and took the right side, r-to-l.

Stage 2 - Saddle start, with the two doors down at the end of the bay.

My time was with most of the pack. My points were a bit off. Finished about even with Lee. 7 Charlie on this one. :(

I went Alpha-Charlie on the first 3 paper targets.

Ben, you didn't have this one on video. I shot the right side first (3 paper and a plate), reloaded and shot the left side (two paper and a plate), went through the walls to where the fault line funnel opened, then took the right and left middle targets on the move. Reloaded and went left, took the targets immediately to the left and right of the door, then the two through the door (one handed). Reloaded and repeated on the right side.

Stage 3 -

I got a solid second on this stage, with good points and a time that was about a second off.

Ben, I shot this one the exact same way as Micah. Check out his video at about the 3min mark.

Stage 4 - The table start speed shoot with the "chest" piece.

Good points and a good time, I win this one.

I always like to stand up and shoot, especially if I have something to do while standing up (almost always). A key for me is to get my feet into my shooting position at make ready, then sit down without moving them. As you watch Ben's video, notice that he LOOKS to the bucket to see where to throw the prop. It only takes a glance to see something and locate it. KNOWING is fast.

Ben, we shot it the same way.

Stage 5 - Speed shoot with the curtain start and the activator target.

Good points and a good time, I win this one.

I started on the activator, then the remaining steel, the static paper and then the mover. All Alphas. I usually do good on these type of stages. The focus is to shoot the center of the targets...vision. Speed takes care of itself when I focus on the vision.

Ben, we shot it the same way.

Stage 6 - The 24 round stage, with the platform start.

I had a little bobble on this stage and hit a Delta. 5th place. I shot it the same way as Ben (see his video at 2:35), except I cam e around the back of the box and stepped in to shoot the far left target.

Stage 7 - This was the long field course in the woods in the middle.

I was the last shooter on the last squad of the day. I shoot this one a bit reckless, and earned my only mike of the match. Points were off too. It was fun. I managed 5th here.

Ben, I shot the activator and the two far paper (leaving the left popper for later. The next ten paper on the move. Reloaded, and engaged the two paper through the window on the move and then the two movers with the stomp pad. reloaded and opened the door, started on the popper, then the star, static and that far left popper.

We had 9 on our squad. They were all great. IGood times !

Good stuff Kyle.

I think you may have had a better plan on stage 10.. The way I shot it was slightly nutty and required shooting the star while on the move.

Your plan on stage 3 was something that I didn't see or consder.. but I dont really think there was an advantage either way time wise. I think my plan was a little bit tougher to execute (made for really tightening up 2 of the targets).. but there was very little time spent running... I was loading or shooting pretty much the whole time, even if the shots were a bit harder.

I really didn't like how so many people shot the two partial targets freestyle on stage one from the back. That was a big transition that wasnt really needed. The way you shot it avoided that.. it seemed sensible to me.

Stage 9 completely hosed you for the match. I decided late during the walkthrough that I wasn't going to bother stuffing a mag and was just going to stronghand a couple targets. Had you done that you would have picked up 25 points pretty easily.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be continuing to work on driving the gun and upping the vision.

I've just started shooting Steel Challenge and driving the gun and upping the vision is where I'm at too. I'm also thinking that a more aggressive stance is working toward driving the gun.

I worked some wide steel transitions. Always vital to get the eyes to snap ahead, then have them focus back to see that front sight in detail when the gun gets there.

You might also add... With whatever the above setup was... Once you confirm that you are seeing the target and then the sights, for each target, move the targets closer together and shoot it until you confirm that you are still seeing the targets and then the sights for each target. Then move them even closer together and discover how close together the targets can be until you can no longer remember seeing the target before the sights appeared on it.

be

• 2 weeks later...