Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have to be honest with myself....Is my belief that a backup gun is entirely necessary, justified? Or do I really want to satisfy my love affair (with them). Would not the money be better spent on ammo, powder etc. on my journey to higher classifications?

Manny Bragg's list of match goodies is....backup gun.

McLearn says "by the time your gun muffs, you have blown the stage anyhow, so how does a backup help you?"

Springer says "Dood, spend the money on a frickin' 1050 and lots of bullets, you can always replace the barrel."

Weigh in with your thoughts and any real life experiences where a backup saved your cookies at a match.

Edited by Sandoz

I've have gone back and forth on this..having a gun that is identical is hard to do..they never are...

each time I have had the money to do one..it has sat in the bag or in the safe for a long time..that I always ended up selling it off..to got try and experiment with something else...

I generally have a enough parts to rebuild a minor breakage..and my choice has always to stay with my primary gun...and in the case of a catastrophic failure that would cause me to go to a back up gun...I'm not winning anyway :D

that said..I generally have something to shoot to finish up..

Edited by eerw

I have a backup gun for both my Production XD-9 Tactical and L-10 Black Stainless. They are similar but by no means identical. Both backups have other primary uses with their secondary use being as the backup.

I have them because in at least two instances my primary gun has had a problem. They have not been catastrophic but have resulted in my feeling that the gun was not 100% reliable. In such cases, having a backup really helps.

Even if the primary gun had done a complete el foldo on a stage, I showed up for the match to shoot. I'd want to finish the match for the fun and practice even if I were going to finish lower than I would if the primary gun had performed as desired.

Even if the primary gun had done a complete el foldo on a stage, I showed up for the match to shoot. I'd want to finish the match for the fun and practice even if I were going to finish lower than I would if the primary gun had performed as desired.

Yup.

In addition, I switch off between both guns (neither gun is really a primary and back-up for me) during practice so neither gets too hot.

I've been a believer in backup guns for several years now.. never really needed them until this year, but this year I had some bad luck with scopes and needed a backup at the Nationals (dropped maybe 20-25 places in the standings instead of 200), then 2 weeks later at the Gator Classic (I finished 4th). It's very handy when all your spare parts are in the shape of a functional, sighted-in gun.

You don't need to get a matched pair made all at once-- get one, and once you start to wear it out, get another and keep the first as your backup.

When I go to a match like the Nationals, I take a friends gun as a backup.

Not worrying about winning, I just want to be able to finish a multi-day match if my gun breaks something important.

+1 on relying on the kindness of friends! All the Glock shooters know I have 5 of everything that could blow up after the snafu in Western PA. I know of several Open shooters that purposely use the same gun just in case they need to borrow someone elses.

I've have gone back and forth on this..having a gun that is identical is hard to do..they never are...

Unless you're building a Glock for production --- then it's easy to get them identical and affordable too.....

.....of course you might get frustrated by never needing to go to the backup..... :P:P

Built a back-up/test platform gun for my match G17 open gun before going to Missoula

for Area 1 in 2005. Other than using it for trying out different components, I've not

needed it. The one time that my match gun puked (sheared a barrel lug 3 rounds into a

club match), the backup gun wasn't in my truck. I do take it along if I am traveling

any distance to a match--just in case!

Hmmm....so Sandoz who was scrambling around the week before A1 trying to get the primary gun fixed in time for A1? ;)

There's your answer.;):lol::D

Besides, backup guns are handy to have around if you have a friend that wants to try out our game for a match or two. They can use the backup gun and get hooked before they lay out copious cash.

I don't have a back-up gun for Limited yet but I do carry ALL the small parts as spares, they have been fitted and tested for function.

I have had my gun puke at a sectional match and it cost me a LOT of ground in the placings as well as pretty much ruining what was turning out to be a good day. I was absolutely wrecked pissed off to have spent the time and money to go to a match and have a $25 part break and ruin my match. It won't happen again.

I plan to travel to some long distance matches so it makes alot of sense to get another gun (see, I am practicing for when I talk to my wife), but spending the money on bullets etc. makes alot of sense too....

If you are spending bucks travelling to matches then the investment in a backup blaster is good piece of mind. Although if you are including air travel there then you double the hassle at check-in and double the loss when the baggage handlers relieve your luggage of your blasters.

As a bare minimum get a full compliment of FITTED spare parts (extractors, firing pins, firing pin stops, bushings, barrel links, pins, rear sight, sight fibers, ejector, mag release, slide stop, mag springs, followers, etc.) in your kit. That way nothing short of a major issue will put you in the peanut gallery at the match.

And make sure those parts are fitted. It is sad watching someone try to tension a new extractor with a couple rocks and a Leatherman.

And if the backup gun uses different mags than the primary gun (my backup is a Para, my primary is an STI) make sure the backup mags make the trip too. ;)

I for one can't afford a back up gun. however I do have multiple guns of similar setups that i can swap parts with, My limited gun and production gun share many of the same internals. If you spend a thousand dollars don't you atleast want to finish the match? so what if your bumped to open. It's not all about winning sometimes it's just finishing.

That said. if I could afford it I would have an identical gun that is only function fired.

Right now I carry about everything that could possibly break with me, and the tools to fix it. (not in my range bag, but in my trunk) Barring some disaster fo frame or slide breakage, I am still able to shoot.

When I shot a lot, always had a backup gun...configured just like the #1 gun...never had to use it in a big match but did in a local one..glad I had it...No, I did not win the match, came in third after #1 puked on me..If you can afford it, get one....then upgrade the loader later...guess I should tell you the #1 gave it up during a man vs man contest so I could keep going without loosing the whole stage...only lost that one bout but did win against that opponent..LOL get one, you'll feel better... :P

Currently, i'm without a back-up gun and wish i had one. My primary broke at Open/Prod Nat's(slide[bIG]crack) so it had to go to the smith. It's still not back and I'm shooting A4 in a few days. A friend loaned me his back-up and so far it's working well for me.

Lesson: Get a back-up if you shoot a lot, or get a friend who will lend you his back-up. 8-)