Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XX and XY in USPSA

ErikW

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gender politics is a losing cause in the US if on the wrong side.

It creeps in everywhere. No use fighting it, too much wasted effort.

It doesn't matter how right or wrong the statement might be, it's gonna happen because..... for a while.

Is this a really big problem? Perhaps it is another regional difference, because I only know a handful of sponsored women shooters.

The 3-gun match I am currently squadding has 5% women shooters, and 0 sponsored women. However there are 18 men who are sponsored (over 10% of the total registered), and that does not include the ones who paid the match fee and are reimbursed by sponsors for fees, provided bullets, firearms & other gear. Judging by the number who ask for receipts, so that they can be reimbursed for fees, I suspect you can double the number of male sponsored shooters.

At Summer Blast, where nearly 10% of the shooters were female, we had only one sponsored woman shooter.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

You can actually put a pretty good trigger on a Hi-Point. I am not sure how the mag changes would go.

Let's remember that the sponsor is a sponsor for their own best interests. It's their money and they decide where it will benefit them the most.

It's their money therefore whatever decision they make - it's good.

Edited by Viggen

If I had breasts, I'd have sponsors.

If there where equal numbers with and without playing the game then it wouldn't be true. As there are fewer with, more of them have sponsors. Supply and demand.

My 2 cents....

This December is going to be my 15th year shooting competitively. It took moving to another country (which happened on my 11th) to get sponsors for myself and I actually look at it from THEIR perspective in terms of target market, product, etc. I hate saying this but unfortunately, #1, there is only less than 10% of women in this sport...I don't have the exact figures but it's few compared to the men. If I were the business owner, of course I would target the bigger chunk of the market to sell my product. sad but true. #2, let's face it, our sport is politically not correct so there goes the corporate sponsors like Rolex, Nike, etc. There is no way you're gonna see ANY of our sponsored people with guns gracing the pages of mass market magazines and publications #3 Coverage. Media or whatever. Again, back to the gun issue.

I don't mean to sound negative but I have tried. It's doubly hard for a woman because not only do you have to beat the women to get noticed, you got to beat the men but how can you do that without having to give up work and have someone support you to do that? It's a which-one-comes-first-the-chicken-or-the-egg kind of deal. Make no mistake, I am very grateful for my sponsors and what they have done to help me but it's a business for them first and foremost. And I understand that so I gratefully take what I can and just have fun shooting. Once you start doing that for a living, it's not fun anymore with all the pressure and it defeats the purpose of why you started shooting in the first place.

Erik, boobs or not... you're just not pretty.

I wonder if a slippery, wet, hard-bodied male would sell more beer... or cars... or freakin' hamburgers!

This should have been posted under the protection of the Hate forum. nud.gif

Edited by Sharyn

If I were a woman, I would fill up a lot more pistol classes…

I feel you Eric^^

DvC,

Chris Tilley

If you had the looks of Athena or Julie, maybe ;)

Thinking of you guys in drag teaching a class or giving a demo in drag just sends chills down my spine, and not the good ones.

ps. Nice job at the Nats Chris.

I wouldn't want to be a female in the sport most likely. Too many men being boys, you would have to have very thick skin.

Sponsorship is a double-edged sword and no mistake. As Athena pointed out it brings it's own problems. Normally at a match any pressure that we feel comes from within, it is our desire to do well and not screw up that brings that pressure to bear.

For a sponsored shooter they have that pressure plus that bought to bear by the sponsor. The shooter now HAS to perform to the highest level. If you don't start (and keep) winning matches then there is nothing in it for the sponsor. That pressure may not be overt but it is implied.

If someone offered me sponsorship I would probably turn it down. Shooting for me is a fun thing. It takes my mind of work, allows me to focus instead on a good thing rather than a bad thing. If I had sponsorship then shooting a match would be like going to work. And work is a four-letter word at the weekend.

As to why more women get sponsorship, as Sharyn pointed out, it's a photogenic thing. You could be the most talented sportsman in the world but if you're butt ugly then you are not going to get the sponsorship.

Glamour sells, women on the whole are more glamourous than men, there are more paintings and statues of women than men so this is not a new thing, it's being going on for centuries. Women are nice to look at, they are all soft and curvy. Us men on the other hand are (generally speaking) nothing more than big, hairy lumpy things with as much grace and elegance as a common house-hold brick.

Viva la difference ! :wub:

I'm thrilled that some women in this sport have earned sponsorship, and they have earned it and I sincerely hope that they do well. That sponsorship may help the ladies to get more practice and match experience and that will pay dividends at the next World Shoot where we (USA) could bring back all the medals in 2008.

Edited by BritinUSA