Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your Favorite .45 Load Data (major / Minor)

zhunter

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noted some of you running 4.1 to 4.3 gr with jacketed bullets which is over the book max from the Hodgdon manual. Any issues other than looking for the usual pressure signs?

well, hodgdon is loading for a shorter bullet OAL than the 230 round nose, thus they get pressure faster than we do at 1.250"

4.0 grains clays and 230 berrys bullet is hard to beat.. and it goes 750 fps in my gun.

Can someone give me a hint on how much 231 to get a 230 gr FMJ to make PF? Or at least a starting point? I have a chrono. Thanks

assuming linear pressure drop(and velocity drop) vs powder charge weight drop, you can use cross products to find a good starting load.

winchester shows 5.3 grains for 832 fps and thats good for 191 pf.

so 5.3/832= X/718 and solve for X.

my math shows x to be 4.57 grains..for 165 pf.

but the only real way to find out is the chrongraph

Hope this helps

Harmon

If I might make a suggestion, when writing up your load and the gun its fired out of, you might want to include what spring you are using. THis may make a difference in how the subjective description of "feels" actually is.

Adam

Can someone give me a hint on how much 231 to get a 230 gr FMJ to make PF? Or at least a starting point? I have a chrono. Thanks

5.3gr of 231 gives me 721fps - 166PF out of a Kimber 5" (SD 25)

5.5gr of 231 gives me 771fps - 177PF out of a Kimber 5" (SD 17)

My Winchester 2003 'manual' (freebie) lists:

4.9gr = 765fps

5.7gr = 870fps

I noted some of you running 4.1 to 4.3 gr with jacketed bullets which is over the book max from the Hodgdon manual. Any issues other than looking for the usual pressure signs?

well, hodgdon is loading for a shorter bullet OAL than the 230 round nose, thus they get pressure faster than we do at 1.250"

Thanks Harmon. Again I should never overlook the obvious.

The OAL on Hodgdons site is 1.200" using a 230 FMJ. I'm loading to 1.250". Also this thread on Clays Not Making Major has some good info on the long use of Clays and 230.

• 4 weeks later...

I've used the manufacturer recommended IDPA/practice load for my Wilson KZ45:

5.0gr. VV N320

200gr. LSWC

1.250 OAL

I've had some feeding issues, I'm pretty sure because of case sizing problems due to my inexperience, but I might just switch to a LRN bullet after I use up the 200 or so LSWCs I still have.

• 2 weeks later...

Your gun and potential load sounds just like my favorite.

I shoot a Springfield Trophy Match my load is

230 FMJ Zero or Montana Gold bullet (I mix them and have found NO difference)

4.5 grains of Titegroup

OAL 1.24 - 1.25

I use mixed head stamp brass (mostly Remington and Winchester)... but I carefully sort it and polish it to death.

I was chronoed at three major matches last year and every round at all the matches were between 170 and 171.5 Power Factor

My press is a Dillon 550 with all Dillon dies other than a Lee factory carbide crimp/resizing die.

BTW-- this load is also a great one for a S & W 625 wheel gun.

I load 4.2 grains of Clays, 230gr Zero FMJ, Fed LPP, 1.250 oal. I shoot this load in my Wilson 1911 SS.

This is my revolver load 4.5 grains of Clays, 250gr Meister lead bullet, Fed LPP, 1.200 oal.

Both loads make major and are very soft shooting.

Edited by Jaxshooter

4.3 Clays with a 200 gr. Precision Black SWC @ 1.2. 171 pf out of my STI Spartan and slightly more accurate than the 230 Precision Black bullet with THIS pistol. A little quicker recoil pulse that with a 230. I like it as well..or better. Still very soft, just a little faster to settle back after the shot. :)

Edited by Merlin Orr

Hello: I have two different ones I like. The 230 grain Precision 3.8 grains Clays 1.220 OAL. The other is 200 grain Precision 4.5 Tite Group 1.220 OAL. These both make major in my Kimber Grand Raptor. I still don't know which one I like better. The Clays burns cleaner. I still need to try the 200 grain with Clays. Thanks Eric

• 2 months later...

452AA has been discontinued for quite a while, but I still have a bunch and intend to use it till it's gone. Thought I'd post this in case there are others who still have this powder.

Favorite .45 ACP 452AA IPSC load:

185g lead SWC (Competition Specialities)

5.7g W-W 452AA

about 1000 fps from a 5 incher.

BTW - The stuff also works great for minor/steel challenge loads in the .38 super with the 115g W-W FMJ HB bulk bullets.

Well, tomorrow I'll hopefully get to chronograph 4 different loads:

All 4 are 230gr moly LRN from masterblastersbullets, federal 150 primers, and clays.

1) OAL 1.20 Charge 3.75

2) OAL 1.20 Charge 3.90

3) OAL 1.25 Charge 4.00

4) OAL 1.25 Charge 4.20

I've shot a couple hundred of the first load already without any malfunctions, kick is acceptable. From hodgdon's load data, its quite possible this will make major.

Its a match, so I made 125 of the first two loads, just in case either of them makes major. I just made 25 round batches of loads 3 and 4 to test. Then I have some lake city match ammo just in case none of them make major.

I think I've got my butt covered. I'll post how they do.

Chris

All 4 are 230gr moly LRN from masterblastersbullets, federal 150 primers, and clays.

1) OAL 1.20 Charge 3.75 Avg Speed 777fps Power Factor 179

2) OAL 1.20 Charge 3.90 Avg Speed 806fps Power Factor 185

3) OAL 1.25 Charge 4.00 Avg Speed 791fps Power Factor 182

4) OAL 1.25 Charge 4.20 Avg Speed 831fps Power Factor 191

I think I'm going to stick with an OAL of 1.20, as it seemed more consistent with differences between the fastest and slowest loads being 40fps for load 1 and 23 fps for load 2. The longer loads had a difference of 45fps and 35fps for 3 and 4 respectively.

I will probably load charges of 3.60 next to see if it functions well. Assuming its a direct linear correlation, that puts the pf at 171.

I also need to bolt the bench to the wall and see what that does to the extremes in velocities for my loads.

Off hand, what kind of variablity should I expect chronographing my loads? Is a difference of 45fps significant or within expected margins of error?

Thanks and hope this helps!

Chris

Edited by Erucolindon

I need to make a correction to my post above (#66). I didn't see any "edit" feature and don't want to post wrong loading data.

It should read:

Favorite .45 ACP 452AA IPSC load:

180g lead SWC (Competition Specialities)

5.7g W-W 452AA

about 1000 fps from a 5 incher.

- not 185g SWC

Used this load when the major PF minimum was 175 - nowadays I'd back it off to about 5.2 - 5.4 to make 165 pf major.

For 255 LRNFP's

3.6 Solo 1000 Fed 150's 1.185 LOA

Soft shooting, always makes major, very consistant.

For 200 LSWC

5.8 Solo 1250 Fed 150s 1.250 LOA

Another soft shooting major load.

They make major in all of my 45's, Use some sense, USE a Chrono..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

5" Springfield .45

Nowlin barrel

3.7 Clays

230 RN Moly bullet

Fed 150 primer

1.250"

171 PF

With different batches of Clays, I've had to go up to 3.9 to get the same velocity and in one batch, i had to go down to 3.6gr.

Same gun with a LSWC 200 gr moly

4.2 gr. Clays.

Fed primer

Very accurate load.

Same PF

Edited by Bear23