Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your Favorite .45 Load Data (major / Minor)

zhunter

Kinda new to all this, but I’ll add what I’ve got.

185gr Berry’s Hollow Base Round Nose (for speedy reloads in the 625)

4.6gr Titegroup

CCI Primers

Mixed brass.

Haven’t chronoed it, but it wouldn’t think it’s major power factor (use it for Steel). It is very accurate in the 625, the SIG P220, the Gold Cup and an old Springfield. Functions in the autos just fine.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember loading some .45 ammo with Dupont 700X several years ago and it was pretty clean burning. That was back when everyone used smokey bullseye for .45 in the pre VV and Dillon days. :blink:

For revolver loads, I have recently switched to American Select. 5.0gr with 230gr Rainier in Federal case with Federal primers gives me 175PF better accuracy than the same at 168PF and recoil is not bad from the 5" or the 6.5" revolver. (Actually not bad in 4" for IDPA either)

Regards,

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

besides being twice as expensive, VV would have to really do something spectacular to make me switch from clays.

If i could buy it locally, i would try it/ use it...but i doubt it would replace CLAYS.

I have been run through the chrono at 4 major matches in '06 with this load out of two different 5" 1911s. One a Kimber Custom Target and the other a Springer Trophy Match.

The power factor was 170.2 to 172.9 on all shots.... so my Dillon must be metering well.

I load ---------

230 Grain Zero brand or Montana Gold round nosed FMJs

TiteGroup 4.5 Grains

Federal Primers (I like wheel guns too)

Mixed Brass

COL 1.25"

This year I've changed over to Clays. In my guns, it has been cleaner then Titegroup, and accuracy is good. (when the loose nut behind the trigger does his job :) )

4 grains of Clays

230 grain Rainier plated RN

Federal LP 150 primers

OAL: 1.260

average velocity 734 FPS/ Power Factor 168.820 from S&W Model 625 revolver, 5" barrel

average velocity 727 FPS/ Power Factor 167.721 from S&W Model 625 revolver, 4" barrel

I had been using Titegroup for the last two years, with the following loads:

4.6 grains Titegroup

230 grain Zero FMJ/RN

Federal LP 150 primers

average velocity 736 FPS/ Power Factor 169.280 from S&W Model 625 revolver, 5" barrel

average velocity 725 FPS/ Power Factor 166.750 from Colt's Series 80 automatic, 5" barrel

My favorite is 230gr FMJ over 6.1gr WW231. Been using this since 1994 with great results

that seems like alot of 231 behind a 230...im thinking 5.3 grains makes a factory duplicate ball load...maybe im mistaken.

Harmon

Edited by Harmon

Tried this load today.

EVIL 200 grain semi wadcutter

4.2 grains CLAYS

fed 150

1.250 oal.

Feels nice, but smoke is more than 230 lead and the recoil is a touch snappier.

if it wasnt for the smoke, it would be pretty good load.

Harmon

I use a rainier 230grn. bullet with W231@ 5.2 grains. with winchester primers. They seem to work pretty well in my kimber 5in. I was planning on gettin a lb of clays but i picked up an sti 40. So i went with some tite group for that one instead of getting another lb of my 45 haha. I was thinkin about clays before the .40 came around. i have heard alot of good things about it and was curious to try it out. Maybe one day ill pick up a Lb of it and try it out....

Joey

titegroup works OK with the 45 too, its just a bit dirty and the powder charge doesnt fill the case much...leaving room for 3-4 extra powder charges.

for a full power ball load, its probably hard to beat, but at 750 fps with a 230, it plays second fiddle to CLAYS.

Harmon

• 2 weeks later...

What velocity you getting with that load? I presume you're in a 5-inch barrel....

Got one gun that's giving me 2% stovepipes with that load. Tweak ejector or extractor? Cases are going straight up and straight back.

I would use Clays but I have about 5 lbs of 231 left over...so I am going to use a 200 gr #68 H&G over 5.6 of 231 WW cases and Fed primers, OAL 1.245, crimp at .470

Get with it, Z!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody got a load for VV n310 using a 185 gr. jacketed bullet? I have several thousand Star 185 gr. JHP's and some N310 as well as some Clays and Tite Group. I'd be interested to know if anybody has some ideas as to where to begin with this bullet and those powders, especially the n310.

Edited by triggerpresser

• 3 weeks later...

Wow your results are very different than mine. Your load is .3 gr more than mine but is almost 30 fps slower. Perhaps my chrono is fast.

230 gr Berry's plated RN

4.3 gr Titegroup

CCI 300 LP primer

PMC cases

1.260" OAL

761.0 FPS = 175 PF from Glock 21 w/ stock barrel. I will chrono the load through my Para P14, but historically, the P14 is ~15 fps faster than my G21.

This year I've changed over to Clays. In my guns, it has been cleaner then Titegroup, and accuracy is good. (when the loose nut behind the trigger does his job :) )

4 grains of Clays

Federal LP 150 primers

average velocity 734 FPS/ Power Factor 168.820 from S&W Model 625 revolver, 5" barrel

average velocity 727 FPS/ Power Factor 167.721 from S&W Model 625 revolver, 4" barrel

4.6 grains Titegroup

230 grain Zero FMJ/RN

Federal LP 150 primers

average velocity 736 FPS/ Power Factor 169.280 from S&W Model 625 revolver, 5" barrel

average velocity 725 FPS/ Power Factor 166.750 from Colt's Series 80 automatic, 5" barrel

Wow your results are very different than mine. Your load is .3 gr more than mine but is almost 30 fps slower. Perhaps my chrono is fast.

230 gr Berry's plated RN

4.3 gr Titegroup

CCI 300 LP primer

PMC cases

1.260" OAL

761.0 FPS = 175 PF from Glock 21 w/ stock barrel. I will chrono the load through my Para P14, but historically, the P14 is ~15 fps faster than my G21.

4 grains of Clays

Federal LP 150 primers

4.6 grains Titegroup

230 grain Zero FMJ/RN

Federal LP 150 primers

I get roughly the same results as wlktheduk.

230 Precision Delta FMJ

4.5 Titegroup

WW Cases

CCI or WLP primer

OAL 1.260

Yields about 725 fps from my 45 Edge.

I know there are variances between guns but I can't imagine 175 power factor with 4.3 of Titegroup.

Is it possible the plated bullet could account for this?

I would check my scales carefully.

You may be dropping more powder than you think you are.

Tony

P.S. I tried 4.0 of Clays but the slide cycle on my gun was slow and lazy.

I think I could almost rack the slide by hand faster.

Perhaps this could be resolved by changing out the mainspring/recoil spring.

Seems like a lot of trouble for whatever benefit may lie in Clays over Titegroup.

Edited by tlshores

CCI Blazer 230's

I don't practice enough to offset the time/cost of reloading so cheap factory ammo gets the nod.

Maybe if I get the itch to "re-earn" my GM card I'll start reloading again.

Besides I NEVER have to worry about making MAJOR!!!

Patrick

Tony,

I agree, it is difficult for me to believe such a large varience between my loads and yours/wlktheduk's. I'll pull a bullet and double check. As for the plated bullet being that much faster, I'm not sure. I'd say its a definite "mabe". ;) I know that lead bullets are faster for any given powder charge b/c of less resistance going down the bore, and plated bullets are between lead and jacketed in that respect.

I'll do some follow-up tests and post what I find.

I get roughly the same results as wlktheduk.

230 Precision Delta FMJ

4.5 Titegroup

WW Cases

CCI or WLP primer

OAL 1.260

Yields about 725 fps from my 45 Edge.

I know there are variances between guns but I can't imagine 175 power factor with 4.3 of Titegroup.

Is it possible the plated bullet could account for this?

I would check my scales carefully.

You may be dropping more powder than you think you are.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

In my search for a favorite load, I read through my Pet Loads book and duplicated Ken Waters' work.

185gr. Sierras with 10.5 grains of Bluedot and FC primers shot one hole groups. So did 7.7 grains of Unique.

200gr. LSWC with 7 grains of Unique or 6-6.4 grains did the same. These loads really need FC primers, as others did not group as tight.

These old articles are a wonderful resource.

I'm currently running 230 Precision Moly and Clays. However for the next season I looking hard at going to JRN from Precision Delta and I want to stick with Clays.

I noted some of you running 4.1 to 4.3 gr with jacketed bullets which is over the book max from the Hodgdon manual. Any issues other than looking for the usual pressure signs?