Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Type Of Tumbler Do You Use?

PistolPete

Well my tumbler finally crapped the bed. Instead of tumbling brass it just spins around in circles like when you were a kid in an above ground pool you would make a whirlpool by spinning around the edge of the pool. Now my brass takes twice as long to clean and it doesn't get very clean. I need to buy a new tumbler and I think I'm going to get the Dillon CV2001 large tumbler. Most of the time I shoot a lot before tumbling and then have to make several loads and run them thru the tumbler. With the Dillon I'm thinking I can fit more than double the brass at the same time than with a conventional tumbler. Plus, being a Dillon I'm sure it will outlast most of the rest.

What are your thoughts and what tumbler do you use?

Looking at the Lyman 2500 tumbler it seems to be a good deal. Almost as large as the Dillon yet $90 less. The extra $90 could go to an extra 1000 pieces of brass. Thoughts? (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=514805)

Pete

Edited by PistolPete

Well my tumbler finally crapped...

What are your thoughts and what tumbler do you use?

Have a look at THESE.

I've been using the same UltraVibe 18 for about fifteen years now, and it's still going strong... They can also be had for less than the "name" brands...

I've got the Lyman 2500 and have no complaints. Lucky since my Lyman 1200 bit the dust 3 weeks later (after 22 years).

It may not be your problem, but any "circling brass" I've had came from overloading the tumbler.

I've had "another" tumbler for years and it recently bit the dust. I replaced it with the huge Dillon and Man, that's a real tumbler. I wish I had known how nice the CV2001 was before this because I would have tossed that old sucker out in back with the beer cans when it was brand new instead of suffering with an inferior tumbler for all these years just because I already had one. There really is only "ONE" tumbler to have, it's called the CV2001 and it's made by Dillon ;-)

I have the smaller dillon tumbler, and it crapped out on me withing 6 months, called them up and they told me to send it back and they replaced the motor, now the switch is messing up. i hate to spend another $16 to send it back to them, for a switch problem. If I were you I would probably look at buying a different brand. I am going to use this tumbler till it dies, but the motor shouldn't go down in 6 months, and I am not hard on my equipment. I guess that is the only Problem I have had with dillon equipment, everything else is great.

Good Luck

PK

Buy the Dillon, get the big one. Just remember it only takes 2 hours to tumble your brass. Longer than that and you could wear out the motor. I told my friend that but he kept tumbling for 8 hours at a time. Finally burned out the motor but Dillon replaced it with no charge.

I've been using my Lyman 1200 for over 2 years now. It was used when I got it, so I have NO idea of how old it is.

It works for me, but tumblers seem to be something of an oddity. Everyone has a different opinion on each.

Just pick one and deal with what you get. ;)

Looking at the Lyman 2500 tumbler it seems to be a good deal.

Got one, love it.

Bought it instead of the Dillon because it was cheaper.

I've been using it pretty intensly for 4 years now, and as it stands in my "workshed", i used to forget about it regulary and so it ran a whole day, on occasions overnight, sometimes two days, and at least at one instance for a whole week. :blink:

The motor doesn't seem to have any difficulty with that.

Still i got wiser and have put it on a timer now ;)

I think the right tumbler depends on the quantity you are cleaning at one time. For example, if you are tumbling several hundred of the same caliber (i.e. 40s or 45s), then a bigger tumbler is obviously the way to go. I picked up the Lyman 2500 from my commercial reloading friend for $30 after he had used it for a couple of years. Great tumbler.

Another commercial guy uses the Ultravibe with commercial motors.

I have two Midway tumblers which I use for the 150 or so rifle cases I bring back from the range when I shoot rifles. They are perfect for smaller batches.

One thing about the Dillons (I have had two) is that you can't leave the lid off without tossing media all over the floor (at least that was the case when I had them). Not a big deal, just put the lid on. However, with the tumblers I have, I just drop the brass in and turn them on without worrying about lids. They clean the brass perfectly.

No doubts about getting Dillon's media separator-none of the others compare IMO.

Bob

Looking at my tumbler that crapped out on me online it is actually rated for 1000 cases which I can only use less than 1/2 of that. I think it is actually too small. I know if I don't get the Dillon I will regret it so I'm just going to get the Dillon. Hopefully it will last for a few years.

Pete

Looking at my tumbler that crapped out on me online it is actually rated for 1000 cases which I can only use less than 1/2 of that. I think it is actually too small. I know if I don't get the Dillon I will regret it so I'm just going to get the Dillon. Hopefully it will last for a few years.

Pete

Pete,

What timing. I've been wrestling with this decision for the past couple of years. I have finally given up waiting for my old Midway tumbler to die. It's about 12 years old and going strong, but it's just too small. In fact, I had stopped tumbling my brass about 3 months ago and now it's piling up so there's just too much to spend 4 or five days tumbling small batches for a couple of hours at a time. I was just trying to decide if I needed the media seperator or not. I decided I do.

One other note, if you buy them from our host here you'll save money on the shipping. Brian's shipping costs are actually cheaper than Dillon's. I did look at the other tumblers and they do look nice, but I've had such good luck with Dillon products that if I don't buy it I know I'll regret it.

-Cuz

Well, this is no longer a decision I have to wrestle with. I just ordered the big Dillon tumbler and big media seperator from Brian. Now I don't have to feel guilty about letting the brass pile up. I guess the only thing I'm missing now is a big ol 25 lb bag of rice from Sams Club, or walnut shells from Petco (have to check which is cheaper). I've always bought my media from reloading places online, but I figure to be using a lot more now and the shipping gets expensive. Time to find a local option.

-Cuz.

heres a way to clean your shells fast cheap and easy. Not recommended for those with less than 3000 shells.

Anyway, just put the dirty sooty shells in a tub. put water in it just to submerge it plus maybe 1/2 inch.

get a small sachet of your concentrated liquid detergent and if you have a lemon cut it in half and squeeze the juice in the tub.

then mix it with your hands for 2-3 mins. Leave to soak if you want but not necessary.

rinse it properly preferably 4x with clean water. run through a media separator to remove excess water.

Sun dry and you have shiny clean brass!!! of sometimes when its raining i just use the wife's blow dryer to dry it properly. Also note that the brass should not be layered with each other when drying or the ones below will still be damp. So spread it around in a huge plastic container use 2 or 3 if necessary.

Remember to dry it properly. In hot sun it takes about an hour exposed to the rays.

you dont have to waste electricity, no need to inhale lead fumes, less space, and is cheap.

Im cheap :)

Howdy,

I vote Dillon. I've got an old FL-2000. I bought it used back in the early 90's. The only thing I have had problems with is the nut that holds the top on, but a package of butterfly nuts have taken care of that. I hope this endorsment hasn't cursed my tumbler 'cause them motor is no longer made.

Interesting reading. Just yesterday, my Midway 1292 tumbler bowl cracked. I called Midway today and they say that the Frankfort Arsenel bowl will fit the 1292. This thing is only a few years old. I had an old Midway 1288 that I literally wore out, but this one hasn't pleased me with its less than stellar service. Midway will sell me a bowl for 9.99, but then I have to pay a $3 small order fee plus shipping. I just might give the Dillons a look. I really don't think I need the big one, but heck, who knows.

I have one of the very old Midway Orange tumblers. I bought this one before they switched over to the blue ones made by someone else a very long time ago. This one holds like 1000 9mm, 500 38's, etc. I've used this one for at least 15 years with no issues. Recently I picked up a Dillon 2001 since I had to clean a LOT of brass (we're talking 10 gallons of the stuff) in a short amount of time. I use that one for all my general cleaning now and have relegated the Orange tumbler to tumbling my plated/jacketed ammo that had lube on it to clean it off.

Vince

Both of my tumblers are hand-me-downs.

First was one of those rubber drum rock polishers. It worked fine except it was loud and the motor wasn't very strong...thus it took forever to get the brass shiney and you couldn't load it down much.

Now I'm using a RCBS rock tumbler type. It works better, has a built-in timer, and works just fine.

Neither done the volume but it works for this lonely 9mm shooter. Throw in a $1 spaghetti strainer from the dollar store...add about 5 minutes with the Dremel and I've got my solution to Mike Dillon's expensive media seperator! :D

I've had "another" tumbler for years and it recently bit the dust. I replaced it with the huge Dillon and Man, that's a real tumbler. I wish I had known how nice the CV2001 was before this because I would have tossed that old sucker out in back with the beer cans when it was brand new instead of suffering with an inferior tumbler for all these years just because I already had one. There really is only "ONE" tumbler to have, it's called the CV2001 and it's made by Dillon ;-)

+1 on the CV2001. I am afraid I mistreat mine pretty badly. I do a 1/3 of a 5 gal bucket at a time. Put in about 1/3 deep with media and stuff it level with brass - about every 15 or 20 gal of brass I change the media ( crushed walnut used for drilling rigs) and add about 5 or 6 capfuls of Dillon Rapid Polish. I am about 2/3 way through about 900 or 1000 pounds I just picked up from a buddy with an indoor range. I run the brass through the Dillon Media Seperator to get the unburned powder out of it then polish it all unsorted. Makes it a lot easier to read the headstamps when I sort it out. Don't know how much brass has went through my CV2001 but it is considerable....

I did a small patio project and bought a small cement mixer from harbor freight. 20$ for a 50# bag of corn media from the feed store, and now 5 gal. bucket of brass is a snap! For little amounts I bought a small tumbler on sale from midway with no problems.

Edited by markm