Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Type Of Tumbler Do You Use?

PistolPete

I did a small patio project and bought a small cement mixer from harbor freight. 20$ for a 50# bag of corn media from the feed store, and now 5 gal. bucket of brass is a snap!

Now we be talking.... I would do the same but don't want to lose my amateur status... :D:P;)

What do you use to seperate the media from your brass? :huh:

1/4 - 1/3 plastic bbl with a hog wire screen layed across the top. Just tilt the mixer like pouring cement and the brass falls across the screen and the media into the bbl.. Just shake the screen and it works pretty good.

BTW I'm not endangered of losing my amateur shooting status! I've gotten lazy and only tumble brass once a month or two now.

Edited by markm

I did a small patio project and bought a small cement mixer from harbor freight. 20$ for a 50# bag of corn media from the feed store, and now 5 gal. bucket of brass is a snap! For little amounts I bought a small tumbler on sale from midway with no problems.

You know you are a shooter when you tumble your brass by the 10's of thousands...:0

I have a Vibra-Tek that I got at a gun show over 15 yrs ago.. It is still going strong.. Had to make a copy of the plastic lid about 5 yrs ago.. Had the cleaner sitting on the floor and the lid of an ammo can fell and cracked the lid.

Tl

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up buying the Large Dillon Tumbler. Thank god that I did. This thing frigen rules. I'm amazed at how many cases i can fit in this thing. Talk about making life so much easier. Hopefully this thing will last a few years.

Pete

Well my tumbler finally crapped...

What are your thoughts and what tumbler do you use?

Have a look at THESE.

I've been using the same UltraVibe 18 for about fifteen years now, and it's still going strong... They can also be had for less than the "name" brands...

Hi guys,

First post here, I've been reading your opinions on tumblers because I'm afraid that my Dillon FL series is about to take proverbial dump. I like the Dillon stuff alot and it serves me well but I'm really not in a position to fork out 175.00 for a new tumbler. I followed the link above and traded some e-mail with a sales rep and this is what I found out, The U-V45 #185 sells for $673.88. :huh:

Hokey smokes! I may have to look into one of the small mortar mixers cause that's just crazy. I have in the neighborhood of 18k-20k pieces of rifle brass that needs cleaning and my Dillon ain't gonna live that long.

If anybody has any real experiance with one of the mixers I'd love to hear about it, or if you know of a source for one of the thumblers tumblers at a reasonable price please pass it on!

Mouse

Mouse,

Rotary tumblers are not the best option for tumbling pistol brass. I quit using mine after I went through bullet shaving hell - which was caused by the case mouths getting peened over by the rotary tumbler.

Call Dillon and see if you can buy a CV-2001 motor. Even if it isn't a drop-in fit, you can re-drill the plate it goes on and probably be back in business for $40 or so. If they won't sell you a motor, try looking in a Grainger catalog for a replacement.

Good luck!

E

Eric,

Thanks for the info, I'm going to try and make whatever repairs to the tumbler that I can. I have a "spring kit" in route from Dillon, my hopes are that I can replace the springs and that will "Spring" new life into it. :P Sorry couldn't resist.....

I'm giving some serious thought to actually building a large vibratory tumbler, I'm definately not afraid to start cutting and welding!

M

Edited by Mouse

I'm giving some serious thought to actually building a large vibratory tumbler, I'm definately not afraid to start cutting and welding!

M

Mouse, you have made it to the *right* place. :) Whatever you do, please post lots of pictures. ;)