Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Often Do You Really Clean Your Glock?

mscott

I finally decided to tear everything completely apart after at least 2k rounds. I'm pretty sure it needed it. I take the slide off and clean everything I can easily get to every now and then, but not normally very detailed. This time I pulled everything apart and cleaned it real good. How long do you let it go before you pull all the guts out?

Honestly? Not as often as I should. I would say I pull it down (detail strip) about every 2500 rounds. I do field strip and clean in between, or at least try to...... and I do boresnake the barrel. :) It's one reason I shoot Glocks-I don't really enjoy CLEANING them, prefer shooting them.

Mike

Ditto what Mike said ..... and I'm not worthy to follow the great Charlie Vanek ..... but usually right before a Major Match. I usually train hard between majors ..... at least 300 rds per week so roughly 1000 rds between majors. Detail strip a couple of days prior and I'm good to go.

Havent had one fail me in a match yet .......... ooops! ;) Where do I keep that piece of wood ............... ? B)

You guys are going to wear out your Glocks just cleaning them. :lol:

Field strip, using solvent and a brush on the bore maybe once a month or so if I remember. :unsure: 5 drops of oil, wipe it off and shoot.

Detail strip once a year if I remember. I might put new springs in then if I think they need it.

These are not 1911's folks. I thought the purpose of a Glock was not cleaning??? B)

My Glock 17 probably has 100,000 rounds through it and has always been treated like this.

Id clean it after 1500-2000 rounds. One of the great things about them. Plus, I only broke the mags down to clean them out after they hit the ground during a stage every 4-5 times they hit the ground, never had to do it every time they hit the ground. Most guns, everytime it hits the ground during a match, it gets cleaned.

Field strip, using solvent and a brush on the bore maybe once a month or so if I remember. :unsure: 5 drops of oil, wipe it off and shoot.

Detail strip once a year if I remember. I might put new springs in then if I think they need it.

These are not 1911's folks. I thought the purpose of a Glock was not cleaning??? B)

My Glock 17 probably has 100,000 rounds through it and has always been treated like this.

My SVI undergoes the same treatment: filed strip and clean every some 2'500 rounds (2 or 3 months), detailed stripping and cleaning once per year, but it might be because I use slide-glide ... :P

Edited to add: not a single malfunction in the last 8k rounds (and maybe 3 or 4 in the previous 60k, due to bulged brass not sorted out).

Edited by Skywalker

haven't cleaned my g34 since i first got it. that was about 5000 rounds ago.... :P

once it starts giving me issues, i'll clean it. though i have to admit, the crude is built up pretty well.

Bill, I use 7 drops of oil. :)

- one for each of the 4 frame rails

- one for the barrle "bushing" area

- one for the trigger bar where it sears off the striker tang

- and, one for the camming junction where the trigger bar and connector contact

(Slide Glide works well for all those spots too.)

I fill 'em up with Slide Glide, and clean when it needs it. When does it need it? It will be once a year or when the gun gets wet. I don't shoot my Glocks much, so they will end up getting cleaned every 5000 rounds or so if they don't get wet before then.

I run all stock Glocks with good steel sights and grip tape. With stock Glocks they are pretty forgiving.

Well since this is dear to my heart recently due to me being a department armorer let me say this....(keep in mind I just got done cleaning and inspecting 60 glocks for trade in back to Glock so I'm unhappy at some people while writing this :) ) If you only oil the areas that need oiling, like FlexMoney stated, then it should go for quite awhile with out needing a complete detail cleaning. Now if you are like some of the genious people that I work around and coat your Glock with oil, I think some of them just dipped the entire gun in lube, then after a couple 100 rounds the firing pin channel will be so full of carp that it will sieze up the firing pin, pin block, and make the Glock and overall bear to clean.

That being said please just oil what needs to be oiled, I beg of you,

only you can save an armorer.....

:D:D:D

thanks just had to rant, now back to cleaning guns......:(

Whatever you do clean it before a big match. And clean your mags after every stage during a match. I've had fine powdered dirt in my G34 mags that I didn't clean out causing my G34 to lock the slide back prematurely with rounds still in the mag.

If you want an easy way to clean and only take the slide apart give a look:

Here's how I clean.

THE FRAME

Spray with Simple Green and scrub with a toothbrush.

THE SLIDE

Take it apart and spray with Simple Green then scrub with a toothbrush. Clean the Striker hole with a Q tip. Look down the striker hole to make sure none of the Q tip remains. It is important to take the slide apart so it can be properly dried.

THE BARREL

Spray with Simple Green & run a paper towel patch down the barrel soaked in Simple Green.

Then a couple of patches with Hoppe's #9.

THE RINSE

Use moderately hot water and rinse in the sink.

THE DRYING

Use a hair dryer to dry the parts DO NOT get the plastic too hot.

Push a dry paper towel patch down the barrel until dry.

THE OILING

Follow the outline in the manual. I use synthetic motor oil for lub.

Between my wife and me, I have 3 guns in the USPSA "rotation". My Para Limited gun, my/her Glock 35 Limited gun, and her Kimber L-10 gun.

When one of these gets too dirty, then I clean all three. Usually the Kimber sets the pace, as she practices with lead bullets and the gun gets really nasty by the 1K mark. I always clean the top ends completely, pull the FPs, extractors, etc... Everything gets scrubbed and then the slides get the brake cleaner treatment.

If it wasn't for the Kimber, I'd likely just clean the Para and Glock every 2000 rounds or so.

Unless I changes triggers or something, the frames get basically an "external" cleaning. I only tear them completely down once a year for sure, and if I'm really bored, twice a year whether they need it or not ;)

My Glock 17 has not been cleaned since 1997--about 12000-15000 rounds.Some of our local shooters have Glocks with over 30000-40000 rounds without cleaning.I would lilke to be able to do a torture test on a 17 to see how long it will go between cleanings without failure.