Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Often Do You Really Clean Your Glock?

mscott

Guys--bear in mind that these guns are ONLY used for playing games.IDPA,IPSC and general plinking. I use a seperate gun--another 17--for self defense purposes. I would never carry a gun this dirty on a daily basis.My personal 17 was used as the sole semi-auto in a benefit match for the Marine corps to raise money for a formal ball.It digested 6000 rounds of donated ball ammo in one day with no malfunctions.Other shooters here have had similar experinces with their Glocks.But if you are using a gun for carry then by all means clean it regularly.

I do clean my glock detail-stripping it every week, I use the same gun either in competition and for self-defense and shoot roughly 1200 to 2000 rds a week (9x21mm)

I submerge everything in water and dish detergent, then scrub everything really well, Blow everything with compressed air, then lube with ZFX applied with a stiff brush and buffed with a clean cloth; I use CLP on bearing parts (trigger parts), and I'm good to go.

Shoot 55.000 rds in a year with no issues

Some local shooters have VERY light triggers--on the order of 1 pound and clean theirs after every match.

I probably shoot around 2000-3000 rounds a year at best.I really envy you guys who can shoot that much(which I would do if I had a place to shoot)

In this area-Southeast Louisiana it is hard to find a place to train due to developement.The nearest place to train is 150 miles round trip and only available on saturday.

One of my shooting buddies once said that anyone who becomes a pro shooter should have to move here and use a out of state for their first year of professional shooting!They would appreciate what they had!! LOL

Sorry!!I should have said out of state gunsmith

As I shoot only lead bullets I clean the barrel with copper mesh on a dry brush after every shooting session or match. I wipe out the stuff that I can see at the same time. Detail strip and clean about 2x yr or about 10k rounds. I use no lubricant on a glock at all. I do wipe the sights with a silicone rag as they are not glock and will rust.

ajm