Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Do People Do..........

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently a hardware/network guy giving all these code monkeys something to do.

So you are the sonofa ... Just stay still I'll be right there to have some words with you ...

Although the hardware/software argument has been going on for decades I believe that this Yen, Yang; chicken, egg; Mars, Venus topology is off the mark. Like a good marriage, opposites attract and the sum of the parts has considerably more value. It is simply no longer useful for us to bicker over what was first or better. The union of the two has changed world and the way we live in it. A pretty good deal all around.

Unless, of course, you are of the opinion that this computer stuff is the work of the devil and it was purposely designed to make your life miserable. That is a topic for the HATE forum.

:D

David C

Let me just say "The Network Is The Computer"..... hee hee... now you know who I work for, anyway...

Actually, when I used to do sysadmin stuff, I'd get yelled at because "such and such system is down", and I'd routinely have to point out that the system was up and working fine - it was the damn network that was down :D The network guys were responsible for most of our outages, but took zero flak about it... something to be said for a job with no accountability, eh??? :D:lol: :lol:

Let me just say "The Network Is The Computer"..... hee hee... now you know who I work for, anyway...

Actually, when I used to do sysadmin stuff, I'd get yelled at because "such and such system is down", and I'd routinely have to point out that the system was up and working fine - it was the damn network that was down :D The network guys were responsible for most of our outages, but took zero flak about it... something to be said for a job with no accountability, eh??? :D:lol: :lol:

The Admin job is the most thankless in the universe. When the “system” is working nobody notices. When the things go south it is all your fault. When the network is working nobody notices but when it goes south nobody notices. They call the SysAdmin! :blink:

David C

Retired US Air Force, Retired Electronics Technician, Retired Field Service Technician, Drawing Social Security, so all of you need to keep working so I can keep shooting. And I am spending my IRA so my kids won't be able to quit working.

pharmacist. a pharmacist friend got me into shooting. at one of the 1st uspsa matches we went to, 2 more pharmacists were on our (6 person) squad.

Ahh! Armed "Drug Dealers". Gotta love it. ;)

Were the other two squad members Cops? :)

pharmacist. a pharmacist friend got me into shooting. at one of the 1st uspsa matches we went to, 2 more pharmacists were on our (6 person) squad.

Ahh! Armed "Drug Dealers". Gotta love it. ;)

Were the other two squad members Cops? :)

:D ROTFL :D

You could make a $$ selling Pharmacist labels to go on high cap mags. :D = Ya know

Refill every? stage? take three every 5 min. ? Refill as oftem as posible?

:D

Here's a description of my job from my employer's web site:

Daily activities include cross-functional work in the disciplines of gas turbines, centrifugal compressors, gas measurement, plant, pipeline, controls and corrosion with a primary emphasis on gas measurement.

Tasks included are: a) minor and major repair of EMS measurement equipment; B) installation, troubleshooting and repair of electrical and electronic equipment; c) recording and monitoring of electronic measurement equipment, which includes: orifice, ultrasonic, turbine, gas chromatographs, valve controls, troubleshooting Fisher ROC`s, DOT responsibilities, gas quality instrumentation, communication devices, and taking corrective action to correct abnormal operating conditions; d) Be responsible for rotating on-call schedule, respond to callouts and emergencies at pipeline and measurement facilities. e) identification of emergency situations and initiation of response procedures; f) checking safety devices, emergency shutdown systems, monitoring/documenting pipeline encroachments; g) interaction with Gas Control, supervisors, peers and contractors to insure that facilities are operated in compliance with company procedures and government regulations.

Basically, I measure gas molecules and fix expensive doo-dads. B)

Code Monkey

I do system's implementations for large scale ERP (HR, Payroll, Accounting, Budgeting, etc) system. Currently working for a County Government, but thinking of going back out on the consulting circuit.