Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Squad To Shoot On..

eerw

Need some opinions..

what would y'all do...

if you have the chance to shoot on a Super Squad...with lots of GMs and Masters..

or would you stay with the group of shooters you are traveling with..

One offer you the opportunity to learn a lot. see a lot.

the others lets you stay on the same schedule with friends, have some comfort level that you can shoot in..

anyway..what would you do?????

Depends on what your goals are. If this is simply a hobby done only for fun, shoot with your friends...or shoot with the SS and meet new people.

If your goal is to get as good as you can be (or become the best), you need to be on the super squad....whatever you have to do.

In 5 years from now you will be a product of the people you associate with and the books you read.

It depends on You and Your friends and why you shoot. One way to have an 'out' is to ask your friends what you should do. If you squad with the SS you may be able to learn and bring home new information to help them all.

You know your friends and if they would feal... abandoned? or just left behind. If you think the comfort of your friends helps your shooting= that would be good to find out too.

You said you have a 'Chance' to shoot on the Super Squad, isn't that the same as an 'Opportunity' would you think it wise to pass up an opportunity? and what kind of friends would want to hold you back.

Progess somtimes has sad side efects, but that does not make it bad.

At my first ever Area championship, Area 2 2004, I got to shoot on the super squad because my travelling buddy was a GM. Definitely an eye-opening experience and extremely motivational for me. I try to shoot on the best squad possible at any match I can choose my squads.

Whenever ive gone to bigger matches, ive always enjoyed shooting w/ friends rather than ppl i dont know. The supersquad would be fun to watch, but i dont think i shoot on their level.

When i shoot w/ friends we always push eachother to the max of our shooting ability. We all tend to shoot better when we shoot together.

Stu:

Two years ago Roger Briden had me squadded with Bednorz, Ken Kwait, Walgren, etc. As a newbie to Open, the idea of shooting with GMs exceeded my comfort level so I switched squads to the good old boys so I could be surrounded by familiar faces. I was kicking myself in the ass before we were half way through the match. If I ever have another chance to shoot with the "super squad" I'll be on it like ugly on an ape. Look at it this way, you will have a chance to learn from the best with absolutley no pressure to perform.

I'd rather shoot with my friends if it's a major match. More comfort level and the SS guys are less likely to want to share a lot in a major match.

I got squadded with a crew during my first run at this game at Area 8 (JJ, Olhasso, etc) and the stress was high (mostly self-inflicted) plus they made it look so easy that I wound up throwing a bunch of misses trying to keep up!

Now, at a local match, I like to be squadded with any GM's that are around. Much more relaxed...

In 5 years from now you will be a product of the people you associate with and the books you read.

+1 - and the practice you do, etc...

The more you associate with shooters who shoot like you want to, the quicker you'll get there, simply through osmosis and emulation.... ;)

I'd shoot with the SS if at all possible.

My wife just got started in USPSA and we've mostly avoided the local SS to keep her stress level down.

Now that she's more comfortable, we'll be shooting with the big boys.

Whenever I find myself being the guy coming up with the "trick" stage plan that others copy, I KNOW I'm on the wrong squad. It does show I've learned a lot from the M and GM shooters, but I know there is a heck of a lot of info that I'm still lacking.

If you're in it for fun, then just do whatever is the most fun for you.

I really like to shoot with better shooters.

A lot of "regular" shooters would be better off not shooting with the SS. I saw a guy once at the Nationals shooting with the SS and he had the biggest depressed look on his face every time that I was watching. He probably shot 35% of the Big Dogs and his runs probably didn't help his self image any. That is a whole different story and issue but he really seemed down.

Often you see a brand new C class shooter gets "reved up" by a 10 sec masters run and totally bombs the stage by trying to keep up with the Jones's. I guess it depends on your "game" If you get a little worked up at a match you might get a lot worked up going after Max or Todd.

Course we all have to learn how to swim with the sharks eventually, right?

Edited by BSeevers

Without a doubt I'd choose to shoot with the SS. My shooting friends wouldn't mind at all. The trick for me would be to not try to outshoot my current abilities. I feel like I could learn enormously from watching them and communicating with them.

QUOTE(Jake Di Vita @ Jan 29 2006, 05:25 PM) *

+++ Jake

Definately shoot with the SS if possible. Just seeing how they look at the little things is worth it. And these opportunities don't come along too often unless you move up into the inner circle.

Shooting with the Super Squad with definitley motivate you. Two things can happen. You will perform at a higher level or you will crash & burn trying to going beyond your ability. If you are able to shoot your own game and learn from them you will do better but if you try to run with them and cant, you will do worse. Just being able to have first hand knowledge of the way they broke a stage down can be advantageous.

The other side of the coin. If you are an up and comer and a contender that they see as a threat be prepared for some mind games. Its almost like an initiation to see if you can handle the pressure. Start dishing it back and then you are accepted and it stops. At least thats the way it used to be. One time Robbie was joking and cutting up with me all the way to the shooters box. Well when he got up to shoot I noticed everyhting was quiet. If he could mess with my head I was going to dish it back. So next time he got up I was cutting up and joking with him all the way to the box.

If you thrive on the competition and the pressure then thats where you need to be. If you want to learn from them then thats a good place to be. If you want to just have fun then shoot with your freinds.

I alway like to squad with people who are better than I am.

I tend to push the envelope when I'm trying to keep up.

I think that's where improvement happens as long as you don't become reckless.

That having been said, I should also note that some of my best performances have come when I was in a dogfight against buddies with equal skills.

Tls

I'd love to shoot only with better shooters. But the long term survival of our club depends on bringing in, and keeping, new blood. New shooters often need nurturing. While I don't really mentor shooters at my club (really don't feel qualified as a B class shooter) I am considered one of the regulars and one of the experienced members. We all (some much more than I have) try to provide some basic guidance and encouragement in both practice and match situations. That means sometimes squadding with the new folks, who often huddle together like baby chicks in what amounts to a newbie squad (breaking them up deprives them of the company/comfort of familar faces).

I think it needs to be done. But, yes, given the opportunity, shooting with our local masters is what I'd like to do.

I have had the chance to shoot with GM's of both Open (Chris Tilley) and Limited (Kert Gaskill) and can say I honestly learn a good bit every time I shot with them. They are very helpfull and nice. In a big match there will not be as much time with these guys as there would be in a local match. I would not want to shoot with lesser shooters in a big match because I feel I might get sucked into the problems they may have with complicated stages. That being said, with the GM's I can learn as I watch and use what I like, and maybe just maybe, be sucked in the wake of their wisdom. Plus I like to watch a good shooter shoot, even if i am not one myself. ;)