Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where Do You Get Your Ipsc/uspsa Targets?

Sorry if this has been discussed, or is in the wrong spot... I could not find a similar thread on search.

I was wondering, where do you all buy your IPSC/USPSA paper targets? Do any of you make your own? I was thinking about mabie making a plywood template to cut them out with. I think it would be good practice to be shooting the same targets in weekends as in match. Any thoughts?

Since I have an easy source of cardboard, I make my own. I made the templates out of old targets. I would only do it if you can get lots of cardboard free. They cost less than $.50 each so it is not a big savings but takes only a minute or two per target.

Edited by tptplayer

I just bought 10,000 pasters from Target Barn http://www.targetbarn.com/

I have bought targets from them too but just ordered 100 IPSC targets from http://www.mgmtargets.com/paper_targets.htm

These were the best prices that I could find. The targets after shipping costs were included were $50 and some pennys.

I copied this from the USPSA website:

USPSA Licensed Target Suppliers

Alco Target Co.

American Target Co.

Ammo Loaders

AZ Shooters, LLC

Harvard Action Shooters

HSSH Swartout Inc.

Law Enforcement Targets, Inc.

MGM Target Manufacturing

National Target Co.

Pathfinder Fish and Game Club

Qualification Targets

Rockwood Corp.

Shooters Connection

Target Barn, Inc.

The Gun Collector

The Target Shop

Rick

If you are helping at the local club, you know where to get preperforated targets. If you are not helping, why not?

I just shot my first match today. My local club (about 20 min) has postponed matches due to some legal issues. My next closest club is about 1h30m away, but I plan on helping any way I can.

If you are helping at the local club, you know where to get preperforated targets. If you are not helping, why not?

I help out at the local club but I don't take their targets. I figure those are for our club to make money for the betterment of the club. I buy my own. I'm working a shoot this upcoming weekend. I'll help with setting the course on Friday night and RO on Saturday and Sunday. Looking forward to a great weekend.

Rick

Shooters Connection has the best price I have found, and are better IMO than the MGM targets. I do make my own little dryfire targets and perforate them with a little tiny screw driver. They last forever and are worth the time. I have made a bunch up to include hard cover, and the backs have white on them just like the real thing. But I do give out used ones for anyone who asks after own club matches. I feel the shooters deserve new targets for the match, so I don't reuse targets even with a couple of holes in them.

+1 on getting them from the club after a match (ask first, natch). Not only do you get lots of interesting paster patterns to look at, sometimes if the MD is energetic, you get hardcover targets as well.

I do most of my shopping in a commissary that pushes paper bags & if it is can goods then they are double bagged. The front makes a great A-C zone, while the back & bottom will hold an upper A zone to the bottom of the C zone. I usually staple these over the top of cardboard that I get from the skeet club or grocery store. The pistol range I use has 24" target frames so regular IPSC targets won't stay in.

When buying targets the shipping is a big issue. I ship them all over the US but shipping across country can run around 30.00 per 100. Closer locations can be as littel as 12.00 per 100. Now when clubs buy in large amounts I am set up with discounted shipping with UPS for that amount of weight. With those discounts in combination with my regular price of 390.00 a 1000. Its hard to be beat unless somebody is closing up and running a close out special. For the individual just needing 100 at a time its best to find somebody close that makes them if you are looking to save a few bucks. They may be higher priced but when shipping is considered you may save from the local shipping. You may wonder why i am telling people to buy elsewhere. An informed consumer makes my job easier. And it may save me an angry customer who will still purchase other things.

The paper bag thing that LPatterson posted reminded me about making targets that resemble IPSC targets from paper bags by cutting them up a certain way.

Anyone ever seent his? I may have to get out the camera and post some pics just for fun. I buy my targets also but it is a cool thing if you haven't seen it before.

Neal in AZ

Another form of "IPSC Target Helper":

Home Depot and other outfits that sell paint should have brown paper rolls 6" and 12" wide. Cut to the right length, they are quick and easy "replacement centers" for shot up targets. If you are industrious, you can cut the 12" to match the outline of the C zone, and crease the outline of the A zone into the middle. It's faster than taping several mags' worth of holes in a practice target, and will let you use the target longer, and thus cheaper.

Be ready for another fleecing. My target supplier who is one of the largest packaging companies in the World just informed me that there is going to be a significant price increase this month. He said it was going to be worldwide. Its on Paper. He said the industry closed 11 papermills last year in an effort to cut supply even while demand is high. This is an effort to drive prices up. Sort of like why oil is where it is. Now they can scream shortage of paper and gouge. He said they had to return to profitability. I told him that they need to look at other costs instead fo just the raw material for that. He got defensive and told me these decisions are made way over his head. So be prepared for the price increases. And when they rasie prices you can be guaranteed it will be way more than there actual increase. Like we have seen in all industry crying about fuel costs. Some truck rates have doubled. They expect us to believe that the increase is all because of the fuel costs. Nothing we can do but wait for the capitalist system to balance itself out. Eventually competition will drive it back. For now we will pay more since they have us by the balls.

Nothing we can do but wait for the capitalist system to balance itself out. Eventually competition will drive it back.

That'd be the way it'd work if ours were a capitalist economy, but it's a mixed economy, so there's no guarantee it'll work. All the paper industry has to do is get in good with some politician and have a law made that allows it to do what it wants (writing as if that hadn't already happened).

• 11 months later...

I read a few comments, from years past, that Law Enforcement Targets, Inc's IPSC targets were not preferred because of faint perforations between the scoring areas.

Our club is currently in the market to buy a large quantity of targets and they have the best prices (by far) available anywhere. I just don't want to be responsible making a mistake on a large quantity of junk targets.

Any recent experiences with Law Enforcement's targets??

Thanks,

Leo