Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Becoming a Fair Weather Shooter

I'm not sure if it's an age thing or just a lack of dedication/enjoyment, but I'm starting to hate/dislike shooting is very hot/very cold conditions.  I'm signed up for a match this weekend and I'm really thinking of withdrawing because it will be 99/107 on match day.  

39 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I'm not sure if it's an age thing or just a lack of dedication/enjoyment, but I'm starting to hate/dislike shooting is very hot/very cold conditions.  I'm signed up for a match this weekend and I'm really thinking of withdrawing because it will be 99/107 on match day.  

It’s age. I remember it being hot in ElPaso when I was stationed there 30 years ago. Walked 18 holes with no problem. Ran every day etc. Seems insane to see people jogging in the heat these days.

Don’t forget shooting in the rain as well. Quite a few years ago it was sort of a badge of honor to go to a shoot even if it was pouring out. Now, I just go back to bed if I wake up and the weather is bad. 

Like I told my kids, ya gotta shoot in the rain at least once to experience it, after that, well then it’s up to you.  My days of foul weather shooting are over. I’m too old for that. 

I definitely think there is a tipping point between having an enjoyable / meaningful match and the day being simply an endurance event.   I didn't start competitively shooting until my late 40's, now in my early 50's, I am already apt to withdraw from a match that is going to be abusively hot (or cold/wet).  I am either getting softer or smarter LOL

13 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I'm signed up for a match this weekend and I'm really thinking of withdrawing because it will be 99/107 on match day.  

I hate seeing an entry fee wasted but I hate being miserable to salvage my entry fee worse, it is supposed to be fun. 

18 minutes ago, Sawlsville said:

I definitely think there is a tipping point between having an enjoyable / meaningful match and the day being simply an endurance event.   I didn't start competitively shooting until my late 40's, now in my early 50's, I am already apt to withdraw from a match that is going to be abusively hot (or cold/wet).  I am either getting softer or smarter LOL

I call that getting smarter. Same here. I'm not getting wet or cold at matches anymore. 

6 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I hate seeing an entry fee wasted but I hate being miserable to salvage my entry fee worse, it is supposed to be fun. 

Totally agree.  Thankfully around here, most matches don't collect $$ until you get there.

Major match tomorrow and it’s several inches of rain all day long 

my ride bailed as a friend “asked” him to shoot Sunday so he asked the md as there were no spots open.

Uh huh, he was a former politician so ya whatever…..

1 hour ago, MikeyScuba said:

Major match tomorrow and it’s several inches of rain all day long 

my ride bailed as a friend “asked” him to shoot Sunday so he asked the md as there were no spots open.

Uh huh, he was a former politician so ya whatever…..

The worst part about shooting in the rain is taping bagged targets.  That REALLY sucks!

why I dont sign up before I can see the stages and the weather.. Been that way for a decade or so..
I dont shoot much...  
Shooting and other sports I do are a hobby, supposed to be fun,, being miserable isnt fun. Match near me I would really like to support , but just cant see doing 11 stages in one day in late august on a range with no shade and little airflow due to the berms.. Be like an ant under a magnifier.. Be surprised if it doesnt hit high 90's

I'll go shoot this weekend and it'll be a hundred plus, but overall I'm a fairweather shooter and much prefer it this way. I agree with Joe, I won't sign up for any big matches simply because I don't know what the weather is going to be and I am not shooting in the rain anymore. 

Our local match shortened to four stages from the normal 5 this weekend because of the heat and at first I thought, man I wish they would just set up El Prez or something, but  after thinking about it a few minutes four sounds better than five at this temperature LOL

1 hour ago, MikeyScuba said:

We have waterproof targets up here so I have not shot through a bag in years.

yup-only way to go.  now if they could only get pastors to stick...

3 hours ago, outerlimits said:

yup-only way to go.  now if they could only get pastors to stick...

The matches I went to that had the waterproof targets also needed specific pasters for those targets otherwise they wouldn’t work.

14 hours ago, RJH said:

I'll go shoot this weekend and it'll be a hundred plus, but overall I'm a fairweather shooter and much prefer it this way. I agree with Joe, I won't sign up for any big matches simply because I don't know what the weather is going to be and I am not shooting in the rain anymore. 

Our local match shortened to four stages from the normal 5 this weekend because of the heat and at first I thought, man I wish they would just set up El Prez or something, but  after thinking about it a few minutes four sounds better than five at this temperature LOL

And you're still young!!

Our group of 78 year olds have opted for breakfast rather than shoot in nasty weather, especially rain, several times in the last few years.  Still love the competition and the social interaction at matches, but if there are 50+ shooters, might only know 10 or 12.  We have gone from shooting 4 or 5 matches a month to only one a month at the closest range.  The mind is willing, but the body is reluctant.

Yes, my suffer threshold is way lower than it used to be.  Just the way it is.

Cold & wet are what I hate. 

Hot is more tolerable as long as you can get under an easy-up once in awhile.     

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

And you're still young!!

Yeah only 48, but it's been over 30 years of working in the heat every and I'm kinda over it LOL 

And after the last rainy match I shot in, I decided it was going to be the last rainy match I ever shot in.

I will do the heat, or the cold as long as they're not too bad. And 100 or so is not too bad to shoot a few stages in, but I don't want to go shoot 14 in a day like I've done in the past at area 4 several years ago. 

PS: I am going to shoot the hotter than hell hundred three gun match next month so I'm not real bright after all lol. If anybody wants a good test of guns and their body I recommend they come shoot it. It's only three stages, hundred rounds rifle required, 100 rounds pistol required, and 50 rounds of shotgun. But it is something like you haven't seen before if you haven't seen yet LOL. It's a fun match and worth the suffering IMO. And it is a shooting match not a running match....

Edited by RJH

7 hours ago, RJH said:

Yeah only 48, but it's been over 30 years of working in the heat every and I'm kinda over it LOL 

And after the last rainy match I shot in, I decided it was going to be the last rainy match I ever shot in.

I will do the heat, or the cold as long as they're not too bad. And 100 or so is not too bad to shoot a few stages in, but I don't want to go shoot 14 in a day like I've done in the past at area 4 several years ago. 

PS: I am going to shoot the hotter than hell hundred three gun match next month so I'm not real bright after all lol. If anybody wants a good test of guns and their body I recommend they come shoot it. It's only three stages, hundred rounds rifle required, 100 rounds pistol required, and 50 rounds of shotgun. But it is something like you haven't seen before if you haven't seen yet LOL. It's a fun match and worth the suffering IMO. And it is a shooting match not a running match....

I must be getting you confused with your Son.  I remember shooting the DTR match with you guys back in the day.  Seems like it was a whole family affair.  

17 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I must be getting you confused with your Son.  I remember shooting the DTR match with you guys back in the day.  Seems like it was a whole family affair.  

Probably so, hell he is 27 now. Makes me feel even older lol. 

I haven't shot double tap in a while, need to get back up there

Long ago when I was a young pup, I asked the then top-dog at the club if he was shooting Saturday's club match.  He said "no, it's going to be 40 degrees and raining".  I said "but you're the top guy, you should be there" and he said "been there, done that, don't need to do it again.".

Ten years later I'm the top dog at the club and one of the new pups asks "are you going to the match Saturday?" and I said "no, it' supposed to be 40 degrees and raining".  He said "but you're the top shooter..."  I laughed.

Where I am I find it miserable to shoot USPSA in July and Aug.

93+ and 70%+ humidity.

After 3 stages, its like no fun anymore man. Plus the one group of (old) guys that never want to paste.