• 1911 (post which one)
    • Glock 21
    • Glock 41
    • CZ 97B
    • CZ P-10 F
    • S&W M&P
    • Springfield XD
    • Other (post which one)

Do you still have to have your grip safety working on a 1911 in idpa? If you do I would shoot an XDM, if you don't I would shoot a 1911

3 hours ago, RePete said:

Yes to the grip safety working.

The XDM has a grip safety too and the same for it.

Yeah, but I never missed a grip safety on an XDM. On  a 1911 I won't hit it on about the third draw

D

12 hours ago, RJH said:

Yeah, but I never missed a grip safety on an XDM. On  a 1911 I won't hit it on about the third draw

Do what I did, tune the grip safety to release sooner but still work as it should.

Look at this  

and using a swiss needle file, file at location 'D'.

1 hour ago, RePete said:

D

Do what I did, tune the grip safety to release sooner but still work as it should.

Look at this  

and using a swiss needle file, file at location 'D'.

I've tried that as well. But my hand is meaty and when I get a high grip and have my thumb hooked over the safety I actually end up pushing up on the beavertail. 

I think the only thing that might actually work for me would be a non beavertail grip safety with a memory bump. But then there'd be so much meat from my hand over the top of the safety that hammer bite would be really bad LOL. 

I'm sure there's some other workarounds as well, but I haven't shot IDPA in forever so I don't really worry about it. And if I was going to I would just shoot one of my Xdms. I think the reason I've never had an issue with the grip safety on them and there is no thumb safety for me to push against 

The Novak Answer eliminated the grip safety while still having a high grip beavertail was deemed as removing a safety device and is illegal.  Hasn't been made for years.  IIRC it sold for $155.00.

https://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/featured_handguns_hg_novakcustom_201009/138612#replay

You could stick on some closed cell foam on your existing GS to help.

Edited by RePete

I’ve only ever shot my GLOCK 21, but if I got serious about the division, I’d probably look at a Wilson Combat CQB Elite, or Les Baer Premier II. 

20 hours ago, RePete said:

Yes to the grip safety working.

The XDM has a grip safety too and the same for it.

Actually the grip safety requirement is no longer present.

You can pin your grip safety or replace it with a static beavertail.

I emailed my AC for confirmation. I'd email yours just to make sure your AC is on the same page.

8 minutes ago, ddc said:

Actually the grip safety requirement is no longer present.

You can pin your grip safety or replace it with a static beavertail.

I emailed my AC for confirmation. I'd email yours just to make sure your AC is on the same page.

Then I would shoot a 1911

I don't doubt what you say BUT, remember, most AC's don't speak to each other and interpret the rules as they see fit - hence the problem.

But A.3.4 CDP Excluded Features and Modifications (Non-Inclusive list) would cover the disabling a safety feature.

Edited by RePete

2 hours ago, RePete said:

I don't doubt what you say BUT, remember, most AC's don't speak to each other and interpret the rules as they see fit - hence the problem.

But A.3.4 CDP Excluded Features and Modifications (Non-Inclusive list) would cover the disabling a safety feature.

I agree that the "ask your AC" is problematic for sure. And just because an AC decrees it doesn't guarantee that an MD will accept it. 

And now that you point it out I do now recall that there was online discussion that CDP may be excluded from the ruling.

However that was just internet back and forth with no legal standing.

I did not specifically ask my AC if there was an exception for CDP. I'll send him the question and report back.

On 6/23/2024 at 11:29 AM, ddc said:

I agree that the "ask your AC" is problematic for sure. And just because an AC decrees it doesn't guarantee that an MD will accept it. 

And now that you point it out I do now recall that there was online discussion that CDP may be excluded from the ruling.

However that was just internet back and forth with no legal standing.

I did not specifically ask my AC if there was an exception for CDP. I'll send him the question and report back.

According to my AC this also applies to CDP guns as well. So grip safeties no longer required across the board.

(At least in my area, lol...)