Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 cal "1911" for Steel Challenge

I'm looking for a 22 1911 for steel challenge.  My Glock 44 and S&W 617 have been hammer reliable, but I'm now shooting 1911's for the foreseeable future.

I know the Ruger 22/45 is an option, but after several years of RO'ing 2 steel challenge matches a month, the appear to be far more finicky than either my Glock 44 or s&w 617 Revo.

What's a hammer reliable 22 1911 with a Fiber Optic front or replaceable front sight?

Thanks!

Jason

I've used the GSG 1911 and upper conversions successfully.  The Ceiner conversion was a lot more work to get running well and my Marvel never got to 100%

My Marvel Unit One works well with standard velocity ammo.  Even with the 12 lb. recoil spring it will not handle high velocity well,  Slide action is too violent.   The steel slide is fine with HV.  The Unit two works fine with HV.

The Nelson 22 conversion is very finicky about mag catch height and ejector position.  I had to return mine,

The Advantage Arms units work well.  Personally, I'd go with the Target version.  It is the equivalent of the Marvel Unit One with a much better lock back feature.  It is considerably less expensive than the Marvel or Nelson.

If you can sweet talk Chet at CWA into making you one of his conversions, do it.  They are superb.  If you are willing to spend the money for a 2011 based 22, see Chet also.   Several GMs I shoot with use them and they are 100%.  Even though it has a 2011 grip, it uses 1911 10-round mags.  It is the Precision Defense V3 mentioned above.  I have the same upper on  my 1911.  It just runs and runs.  Not at all ammo finicky.

If you go for the Marvel Unit and will never shoot bullseye, ask them to lengthen the leade before sending it.  The Unit One is intended for precision bullseye and has a short throat.  Bullseye shooters want the lands to engrave the bullet for utmost accuracy.  That results in not being able to extract a chambered round without fussing with it.  Having it throated cures that.

Having shot all of the above, and several I wouldn't use if you gave them to me for free, I'd go with the CWA if you can get one, or the Advantage Target if you cannot.  The Advantage is difficult to find.  I bought mine from Palmetto State Armory.

if you think a 1911 conversion is gonna be less problematic than a 22/45 thats actually designed for 22 you are in for a rude awaking... You are probably noticing issues because more, and more novice shooters are running them. 
Pull the loaded chamber indicator flag,  dont use aftermarket mags, and run CCI minimags at matches, clean and lube it with a light oil,, enjoy.. SHould be as reliable or better than any gun on the market.

I run the Nelson conversion on a STI Trojan 45 lower.  Runs like a top.  I use Eley Force for all rimfire pistols & rifles.

I used to run a Ruger 22/45 for steel and wanted something different without spending big $$$ for a 2211.

The last time I spoke to Chet at CWA he was no longer making conversions and focusing on his full builds.

I would have gone the GSG 1911-22 route if I didn't already own some 1911s.

Also, my Ruger 22/45 was never finicky.

Taylor Tactical & ZR Tactical Solutions are your source for upgrades if you go the GSG route.

20240508_133041.jpg

16 hours ago, Joe4d said:

if you think a 1911 conversion is gonna be less problematic than a 22/45 thats actually designed for 22 you are in for a rude awaking... You are probably noticing issues because more, and more novice shooters are running them. 
Pull the loaded chamber indicator flag,  dont use aftermarket mags, and run CCI minimags at matches, clean and lube it with a light oil,, enjoy.. SHould be as reliable or better than any gun on the market.

Completely agree. I’ve been using a Ruger MKIII 22/45 for 8+ years now and it’s far more reliable than the guys who bring 1911/2011 .22 guns. 
CCI mini mags for first thousand rounds or so to start and it’ll work in to be reliable on bulk box ammo. 
I use Federal auto match with great results. 

Posted (edited)

I bought a Colt/Walther government model .22.  I put some decent sights on it from Dawson and a full length guide rod from Taylor Tactical Supply.  It's very accurate and reliable.

Edited by BadShot

I have the opposite experience than some of you do.  I ran a Hammerli X-Esse Sport, a full race Buckmark, a Volquartsen Scorpion, and a couple others in competitions.  None of them were as reliable or for as long as my 22 Conversions.  Zero issues with the conversions.  Zero issues with the mags.  Six years and counting.  None of the 22 pistols lasted more than two years without work.  It became more than I was willing to do to keep them running.  I changed the mag springs in the GSG mags once after five years.  I've never changed the springs in the Brownell's mags.

BTW, I was not knocking the Nelson above.  Is is finicky, but at least six bullseye shooters use them at my home club.  Nelson offered to modify my pistol for free.  Since it was a custom pistol, I declined.

Back in the 2000s I tried every 1911 kit available.  Nothing worked 100% for 195 rounds for the Steel Challenge.  I tried a Ruger 22/45 with a  6 7/8 barrel that was lightened with CCI standards and had success.  I then got a Volquartsen Scorpion and have had nothing but fun with that gun.  I can't recommend them enough.  I do know that the 1911 kits have gotten better, but I know that Rugers and Volquartsens will run with good primed ammo.

Posted (edited)

My Kimber TLE II with the Kimber conversion is the most reliable combo I've ever had. Granted I have to run CCI mini mags, but that is a small price to pay for a gun that has won me many a match in 22 USPSA style matches. Having a heavy steel frame means zero recoil. And having the frame with my lightened trigger, extended mag release, magwell, and agressive grips is a winning combo.

Edited by Postal Bob

11 hours ago, Postal Bob said:

My Kimber TLE II with the Ruger conversion is the most reliable combo I've ever had. Granted I have to run CCI mini mags, but that is a small price to pay for a gun that has won me many a match in 22 USPSA style matches. Having a heavy steel frame means zero recoil. And having the frame with my lightened trigger, extended mag release, magwell, and agressive grips is a winning combo.

Ruger conversion? I had not heard of those, do you have more info?

6 hours ago, Effectus Magis Per Minor said:

Ruger conversion? I had not heard of those, do you have more info?

Sorry, brainfart. It's the Kimber conversion kit, on the Kimber pistol.  🤪

Thanks for all the replies!  I have a lot to think about.  I *may* just start with a Ruger 22/45 and some polishing, then see what happens!

Thanks again!

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

I started out with my S&W Model 41, ran flawlessly.  Dabbled with Irons using my Pachmayer conversion made by Peter Stahl but Colt Ace mags only worked, and they cost a ton.   Wanting something different than the S&W 41, I ended up with a Nelson.  Springfield Armory frame from my custom 9mm produced too many problems.  Put it on an old Caspian frame and have had no issues.  I shoot CCI SV with the comp, with the barrel weight or without any of those and not one malfunction.  I have the custom top with a direct dot mount.  Could not be happier.  My son in law runs the Volquartsen Black Mamba with CCI SV, not an issue.  Other ammo with it had problems.  CWA is also a fine gun but bring your checkbook.    

On 5/9/2024 at 7:50 AM, BadShot said:

I bought a Colt/Walther government model .22.  I put some decent sights on it from Dawson and a full length guide rod from Taylor Tactical Supply.  It's very accurate and reliable.

Mine struggles to feed rounds from the magazine. It is nearly brand new, so I'm not sure if that's it or not. I wonder if a slightly heavier spring would work, as long as I used zippy ammo.

The full length guide rod made mine run much smoother and more reliable.  I think it includes some shock buffs, that might increase the spring tension a slight bit.

On 5/25/2024 at 2:26 PM, BadShot said:

The full length guide rod made mine run much smoother and more reliable.  I think it includes some shock buffs, that might increase the spring tension a slight bit.

Standard full length guide rod?