Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone use chalk?

Kravi

Hi folks, I had a thought while lifting yesterday. I'm one of those unfortunately types who tends to have sweaty hands. Does anyone with similar issues just bring a ball of chalk with them to a competition? Or is that somehow taboo? I can't see the limited chalk dust really interfering with pistol reliability.

Thoughts?

Adam

29 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Local matches you wont see it a lot (Depending on the group/area you shoot in). But at majors it seems like 80+% of the match will be using chalk. Its very common. 

You may be talking about different things. I see a lot of people use the grip enhancer stuff and wandering about with white hands because of it but don't recall seeing anyone use the gymnast/weight lifter dry powder stuff. Different purposes. For sweaty hands some just reach down and grab a handful of dust if the ground is dry. 

An unwritten rule is that the guy with the most junk on his hands is always the same guy that feels he needs to touch the screen on your score pad. 

13 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

You may be talking about different things. I see a lot of people use the grip enhancer stuff and wandering about with white hands because of it but don't recall seeing anyone use the gymnast/weight lifter dry powder stuff. Different purposes. For sweaty hands some just reach down and grab a handful of dust if the ground is dry. 

Thats true. Most use some sort of liquid chalk which is just chalk mixed with isopropyl alcohol. Very easy to make on your own if you want to. We also do have a few guys who use bulk chalk in a bag locally. Given the number of cops you will most likely shoot with... expect jokes like "Did you take that bag out of the evidence locker?" 

13 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

An unwritten rule is that the guy with the most junk on his hands is always the same guy that feels he needs to touch the screen on your score pad. 

The guys who tend to win the matches have the most on their hands. Not always... but there is a strong correlation. Watching them try to clean off 10-12 layers of chalk and dirt at the end of the day is also comical. 

I'm a guy who has really sweaty hands. It could be 50 degrees and my hands will still sweat. I typically re-apply chalk when I'm on deck for the upcoming stage.

I'll use whatever liquid chalk I find on Amazon for the cheapest.

23 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Most use some sort of liquid chalk which is just chalk mixed with isopropyl alcohol. Very easy to make on your own if you want to.

Do you have a ratio that you recommend? I have a pretty big bag of regular dry chalk that I don't use because I have the liquid stuff, but as I'm running lower and lower on liquid stuff this would be helpful.

6 minutes ago, VeilAndrew said:

I'm a guy who has really sweaty hands. It could be 50 degrees and my hands will still sweat. I typically re-apply chalk when I'm on deck for the upcoming stage.

I'll use whatever liquid chalk I find on Amazon for the cheapest.

Do you have a ratio that you recommend? I have a pretty big bag of regular dry chalk that I don't use because I have the liquid stuff, but as I'm running lower and lower on liquid stuff this would be helpful.

I do not, but I would just keep adding slowing until you reach the consistency of the liquid stuff you currently use. 

IME All liquid chalks are not the same... Many of them are a lot slimier/goopier than necessary for pistol shooting, so try a few types.

I like Dry Hands as it doesn't take much and doesn't make you look like a mime, but I'm working through some Walmart goop I had to buy in a hurry at the IPSC Nats deluge.

If you want powdered chalk, a chalk-ball is a lot less messy.

Also don't load mags right after chalking-up. 😀

I was/am using the Erik Gauffle grip tubes.

It looks... interesting...

However the hands get dry and there's nearly no white residue left on my hands/grips when dried up.

However this stuff gets expensive over time, so I'm considering switching to liquid chalk.

Hell, grips can be cleaned and the competition guns are no safe queens, so who gives a damn how they look, I guess.

I started using Pro Grip a few years ago especially where my hands overlap,  grip of left fingers and outside of right. I use it everywhere if it's hot out or humid. I bought primo chalk when I started grip training and am using the gym chalk when dry firing now.

Going against the grain here, I’m currently using Pro Grip but used some of my buddy’s Petzl liquid chalk at our last match. It’s a bit more akin to normal climbing chalk.

although messier, I kind of preferred it. I’m not overly picky on this subject though so I’ll probably revert to whatever I can easily get on amazon

I use the loose gymnast type chalk in a bag. Does leave hands white, is messy, but for like 5 bucks you get probably 2 years worth. I keep the sock in a plastic bag, put my hand inside give it a couple of squeezes, then move away from other shooters and clap hands a few times. 

About 20 years ago one of my buddies at a match used some kind of chalk on his hands and he had a slight running nose, and he’d use his hand to wipe it away

which left a lot of white chalk residue below his nose and he looked just like the 90’s cop movie bad guy on a coke bender, everyone that came up to him WTH expression on their faces😂

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried pro grip, petzl and a few other liquid chalk options designed for lifters. Overall my favorite is petzl. If your hands aren't sweaty it doesn't give any significant advantage. However if it's hot and your hands start to sweat it makes a huge difference. 

20 minutes ago, gwcochrane said:

I've tried pro grip, petzl and a few other liquid chalk options designed for lifters. Overall my favorite is petzl. If your hands aren't sweaty it doesn't give any significant advantage. However if it's hot and your hands start to sweat it makes a huge difference. 

I'll add that to the list. I picked up some "Liquid Chalk" which I'll be trying on Sunday for my first local USPSA match (yay!), despite the arctic conditions. I tend to sweaty hands and feet, unfortunately.

Cheers,

Adam

Just now, Kravi said:

I'll add that to the list. I picked up some "Liquid Chalk" which I'll be trying on Sunday for my first local USPSA match (yay!), despite the arctic conditions. I tend to sweaty hands and feet, unfortunately.

Then liquid chalk is probably the best option for you. I would stay clear of loose chalk

dont use chalk. It will gunk up your gat and make it more slippery than what it is with little sweat. A rosin ball works great if you can find one. If you cant then use pro grip or something even tennis grip 

1 hour ago, kaseyj5056 said:

dont use chalk. It will gunk up your gat and make it more slippery than what it is with little sweat. A rosin ball works great if you can find one. If you cant then use pro grip or something even tennis grip 

You can get rosin at the sporting goods store.  Just get it in the baseball section. 

I know of a few guys who swear by plain old right guard spray deodorant sprayed on the palms.

Believe it or not there is a product pole dancers use that is pretty good. I have some I use if it’s rainy 

8 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I know of a few guys who swear by plain old right guard spray deodorant sprayed on the palms.

Believe it or not there is a product pole dancers use that is pretty good. I have some I use if it’s rainy 

Why did I suddenly get a smell of talcum powder and cheap perfume in my mind...?

Right Guard spray on, huh? 

Cheers,

Adam

10 minutes ago, Sarge said:

That makes sense. I can trust a pole dancer backed product. lol 

What about products like "liquid chalk"? I haven't used it yet, but I have it in my kit and was planning on testing it this weekend.