Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 LO 9mm....4.6" or 5"

RGC

From discussion on the board it seems like this is completely personal preference.  

I would shoot the 4.6" before switching. 

I have never had a 5 " 2011 and the Atlas Athena comes as a 4.6" gun, and I cannot see any gained benefit other than weight going with a 5" 2011.  I like the weight of the Athena and think it is well balanced while not being heavy.  9mm so reoil is not really a thing with that gun with proper grip.

I will say I love the Sig AXG Full Size (4.7" barrel size) much more vs any 5" P320 I have shot, which I have just about shot all of the P320 5" variants.

Edited by Boomstick303

I shot a Athena and Titan side by side before I chose the RDS titan. With the Athena I feel like the reddot stabilized a bit faster when the slide was forward after a shot, but snappier on recoil. The Titan was pretty much what I expected from a 5 inch 2011. I Didn't feel like the "faster" settling reddot as so much a advantage when shooting at speed vs having a little softer recoiling gun.

i've shot a ton of 9mm 1911 (one tri-topped slide and one gi-profile slide), and now I have a staccato 4.4" 2011 with a pretty standard slide. I don't know that the difference is dramatic enough for me to care, but if I were choosing from scratch, I would *probably* choose a 5" gun with a lightened slide. Like others say, I would try them back to back and see. It seems to me like the shorter gun comes back to exactly where the dot left from, but it may bounce slightly higher too.

One slight advantage to the longer barrel is you'll definitely get a few pf points out of it, so you can load 1-2 tenths lighter, but all in all, barrel length is not one of the things I would really worry about if I already had a gun that ran.

FWIW, I prefer whatever gets the sights back to zero the fastest.  For me that's a longer gun, lightened slide, gun tuned to the load.  It also means lighter rather than heavier bullets.  I'd rather have more recoil, or the same recoil, but snappier if the sights return quicker.

The only exception to this is forward falling steel matches with 9mm.  If I have to shoot 9 minor in these matches, I go for 147s at 144 PF.

Id probably just lighten the slide you have.. End up with the same weight slide, but maintain the heavier non cycling barrel. I mean the differences on the clock probably amount to didly squat.  We are talkign minor in a  what 50 oz gun ?

37 minutes ago, shred said:

Only time was when some joker put a spinner in a steel match.  That was a huge advantage for heavy PF loads.

so you would think, but in a 1911-only match a couple years ago, i got my clock cleaned by a little girl shooting 9mm on a heavy-azz spinner (i was shooting 45 and I don't suck at spinners).

10 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

so you would think, but in a 1911-only match a couple years ago, i got my clock cleaned by a little girl shooting 9mm on a heavy-azz spinner (i was shooting 45 and I don't suck at spinners).

Turns out you could shoot the match I'm referring to twice.  I brought a few heavy 9 loads for that spinner the next time and it was way easier and faster, so yeah, so I think.  I only beat Jerry Miculek at the TX State falling steel match once though, so YMMV.

It has been my experience that heavy bullets with higher PFs make forward falling poppers fall more quickly.  The club I shoot falling steel at mostly only allows forward falling poppers.  There is often an array of eight.  Four in front and four behind.  With 115s or 124s at 132 PF, you have to hit all front four before the first has fallen enough for you to get a shot at the rear popper in the calibration zone.  With 147s at 144 PF you can shoot the front rear after you hit the front second.  Actually, it is much to zip across the front four, then the back four with no delay.  Much faster than with lighter loads.

Edited by zzt

20 minutes ago, zzt said:

It has been my experience that heavy bullets with higher PFs make forward falling poppers fall more quickly.  The club I shoot falling steel at mostly only allows forward falling poppers.  There is often an array of eight.  Four in front and four behind.  With 115s or 124s at 132 PF, you have to hit all front four before the first has fallen enough for you to get a shot at the rear popper in the calibration zone.  With 147s at 144 PF you can zip across the front four, then the back four with no delay.  Much faster than with lighter loads.

Actually never though about this but 🌅

In Canada all clubs require front dropping steel.

In Georgia any which way…..

Hmm.  

• 4 weeks later...

I think they feel vary different and would also recommend trying them. And if you can shoot some 125's and some 147's out of both. 

I tend to like the gun to be faster and snappier. With striker fired guns I don't notice it, but with a 5" 2011 and 147's the recoil impulse feels weird to me. My 5" guns are sprung light and have shock buffers to shorten the stroke and help speed up the gun. Not that I really out run it I'm sure, I just don't like the chunky feeling of the longer guns. 

39 minutes ago, RGC said:

Pat Rafferty has my 5” almost ready to send to the coaster.  5” it is!

Coaster…..👀

Coater.  Not kidding stuck on an island in Greece after ferry cancelled and only have my iPad w my reading glasses back in the hotel in Athens,..lol.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2023 at 9:34 AM, RangerTrace said:

I just got a Staccato XL (5.4") two weeks ago and it shoots softer/flatter than my P and XC.  It is a pure joy to shoot.

the xc is 5" barrel and then a comp, or 5" with the comp/port?  i'd think just slightly shorter than the xl but with a comp/port, the xc would be the flatter/softer one, but guess not.

4 hours ago, davsco said:

the xc is 5" barrel and then a comp, or 5" with the comp/port?  i'd think just slightly shorter than the xl but with a comp/port, the xc would be the flatter/softer one, but guess not.

THe XC us a 4.6" barrel with a single port comp to make 5"