Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vibrating Media for cleaning fired cases....what is your preference for media?

wanttolearn

likely this has been discussed but it didn't seem to come up in a brief search.

i have an old but trustworthy vibrating case cleaner. i need to purchase new cleaning media. I can't recall what type of media most favor....some i guess work better than others and some are less likely to fill up the primer hole. I'd sure appreciate your thoughts/recommendations. Thank you

Walnut for cleaning and corn for polishing, or that's the maxim that I've heard.  50/50 mix for cleaning range pickups.  Toss in a used dryer sheet and some NuFinish to cut down on the dust.

Amazon link if interested:  15lbs Walnut

Corn:  Corn

The price for corn has gone way up from what I remembered.

Edited by SnipTheDog

• 2 weeks later...

When I did dry tumbling. Corn cob left a better finish. And I found replacing it after 5 total hours of use made for better end results.

Wet tumbling is much cleaner but you lose all lubricity the old carbon had on the case.

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2023 at 9:27 AM, SnipTheDog said:

Walnut for cleaning and corn for polishing, or that's the maxim that I've heard.  50/50 mix for cleaning range pickups.  Toss in a used dryer sheet and some NuFinish to cut down on the dust.

Amazon link if interested:  15lbs Walnut

Corn:  Corn

The price for corn has gone way up from what I remembered.

https://www.amazon.com/ALC-Ground-Corncob-Blasting-Media/dp/B00132H4V2/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?crid=2Y08RCG8OFO52&keywords=ground+corn+cob&qid=1703612506&sprefix=ground+corn%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-5

• 2 months later...

Be careful with the lizard bedding. They are the perfect size to jam in flash holes. Not an issue if you decap after tumbling or use a decapper die on your press when loading. 

I found the walnut dust really agitates my allergies. I've been using the 20/40 grit corn cob from Zoro. Comes in a 40lb bag and is cheap. A 1/2-1 cup of mineral spirits in your tumbler will help keep the dust down quite a bit. Treating the media with 1-2 tablespoons of nufinish on occasion is worthwhile also.

• 4 weeks later...

I used corn cob material for years and then I switched over to walnut to see if it got my primer pockets cleaner…it didn’t.  I also noticed that walnut produced a fine dust that stayed on the cases after processing.  Not a big deal, but I had to blow them off with a compressor afterward.  I went back to corn cob to eliminate this step. 

wet tumbling with pins gets the pockets clean but that method is a bit more labor intensive and since I really only reload straight walled pistol cases, I plan on sticking with the corn cob for now. 

• 4 weeks later...

thanks everyone, i ended up picking up GRAF's CORN COB UNTREATED MEDIA 9-lb/BOXs which makes for a very nice shine.

perhaps it is related to the specific brand that i purchased however,  apx. 15% of the cases have some residua /corn media debris left in the primer pocket. For this I purchased a Lyman brand flash hole cleaner which works fine but is a bit tedious .

Edited by wanttolearn