Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would be your Limited Optic choice?

rowdyb

- normal da/sa Shadow 2 optic ready, starting "cocked and locked"

-TS Orange in 9mm, milled or dovetail

-TS2 in 9mm, milled or dovetail

-SAO Shadow 2 either milled or dovetail

Is there anything about one of these models that really precludes it from the division? Like does having an LPA cut slide prevent turning it into an optics gun easily? Weight? Barrel length? Magazine and magwell issues?

What's the goal here?  Play in LO with something you're familiar with or go all-out?

The TS2 is probably the most-gamer gun of those, but different grip & mags (large frame) and weight/balance and a bit more difficult to dot.  If CZ is on the ball, they'll make an OR TS2, but that could be a while.

I had a rock island 6" 1911 with an LPA adjustable rear, had no problems getting an adapter plate for it.. Still have it if its same cut on a CZ and you want it.  Seems to mount as well as anything else.

i already had a 9mm TSO.  my czechmate broke its slide so i tossed a dovetail mount in the TSO and LO i went. i like it a lot and it runs great. haven't handled a TS2 to compare ergos but mechanically it's not really different.  sure it's taller than a milling fit but it's way lower than an open gun already so i'm not gonna mess with it unless it proves unreliable. 

36 minutes ago, shred said:

What's the goal here?  Play in LO with something you're familiar with or go all-out?

The TS2 is probably the most-gamer gun of those, but different grip & mags (large frame) and weight/balance and a bit more difficult to dot.  If CZ is on the ball, they'll make an OR TS2, but that could be a while.

Use something familiar. But I do also remember trying a couple TS's for Limited before buying a 2011 and finally being happy. So yeah.. 

If you're serious about LO then TSO milled. I like Shadows but I'd rather shoot a TS if I'm not constrained by DA/SA rules. I'd probably go with a CZC plate too. 

Edited by 858

I've got a TSO, TS2 Green cut for an optic and S2 OR. I use the S2 OR for dynamic shooting; I find it more nimble than the heavier/bulkier TS2 (even tho I love it). That said, I just got a Bul SAS II and damn, I'd choose that over any of my CZs, I think, at least from my initial testing of it (I know - completely different beast and cost point but I'm sorta blown away by it - terrific fit and finish, great trigger, light but still very easy to control).

1 hour ago, Seakphotog said:

I've got a TSO, TS2 Green cut for an optic and S2 OR. I use the S2 OR for dynamic shooting; I find it more nimble than the heavier/bulkier TS2 (even tho I love it). That said, I just got a Bul SAS II and damn, I'd choose that over any of my CZs, I think, at least from my initial testing of it (I know - completely different beast and cost point but I'm sorta blown away by it - terrific fit and finish, great trigger, light but still very easy to control).

I took a hard look at the Bul offerings before buying the DWX. A Bul is still on my wishlist for sure. 

On 9/4/2023 at 7:13 AM, rowdyb said:

Is there anything about one of these models that really precludes it from the division?

Not sure why you're asking. You are one of the more experienced people on this forum.

My opinion is the LO Division is a bit odd and basically allows people to shoot a greater variety of guns with slide mounted optics. 

Personally if I were to start from scratch in the Division and was limited to your gun choices I would get the TS Orange with a milled slide.

Why? Because out of the box it has the best goodies. I would have a milled slide over the OR  because it is less likely to loosen and the optic is closer to the barrel bore.

However if I already had a nice running Shadow 2 I would just run it as is with hammer back safety on. Personally I believe the mag well really doesn't improve the average shooter's scores, but it does look cool. Also modifying it to SAO doesn't improve the SA, but does provide a greater variety of triggers to choose from.

If there were unlimited choices and money I would have a custom 2011, maybe Atlas or similar, built for LO. 

On 9/4/2023 at 8:13 AM, rowdyb said:

Is there anything about one of these models that really precludes it from the division? Like does having an LPA cut slide prevent turning it into an optics gun easily? Weight? Barrel length? Magazine and magwell issues?

For your hands, go with the Shadow 2 optic ready. S2 grip is appreciably smaller than the TS and TS2 line. 

I don't see the point in a SAO S2. The OR model can serve as a Production backup, CO and Lim Optics setup. That's a lot of divisions where the SAO S2 is only really Lim Optics. 

For what it's worth, I slapped a magwell on my CO gat to troll the heck out of a buddy and shoot Irons Nats with him. 

20230829_070243.jpg

3 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Not sure why you're asking. You are one of the more experienced people on this forum.

Hahahaha, in some ways yes, this is true. But the past few years I've had a very narrow focus and I feel I'm not up to date on all the nuances of different models and how they fit into the current divisions.

I am shooting Prod at "handgun nats" in Oct, if Prod doesn't go to 15 rounds by the end of the year I will need to pick a different division as it sucks to shoot against very few people on the regular, at local matches.

59 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

or your hands, go with the Shadow 2 optic ready

As you know me in person and we've shot together this is valuable feedback. Someone local bought my optic ready shadow 2, I could probably get it back....

9 hours ago, rowdyb said:

am shooting Prod at "handgun nats" in Oct, if Prod doesn't go to 15 rounds by the end of the year I will need to pick a different division as it sucks to shoot against very few people on the regular, at local matches.

I started in production when it and Limited were the biggest Divisions and to shoot a dot cost a bunch of money (Open). Now CO is the most fun for the $$ and the most competitive. Typically at local matches we have 2/3s of the shooters in the division. Although I’m seeing many CO shooters moving to LO this year. 

On 9/4/2023 at 9:13 AM, rowdyb said:

I added a Boss Components mag well and SSI TS mag well-cut grips to my Shadow 2 and start cocked and locked for LO. I already had the CGW short reset trigger in it, so the trigger starts nearly up against the frame when cocked, so the trigger reach can't get any shorter. I handled a SAO Shadow 2 recently in a shop, and the stock trigger reset is a lot longer than my gun, and I did not feel any advantage in it. As has been said, a conventional DA/SA trigger can run in CO ad LO. My gun has been milled for an SRO.

• 3 weeks later...

I had my eye on a TS2, until I came across a screaming deal on Czechmate. (2 barrel version)

At the time, my skill level didn't warrant me shooting open, so I used the normal barrel, and shot it in LO because it's SAO.

I used a dovetail plate for the SRO. Once I got comfortable with that, I switched over to the comp'd barrel and the C-More frame mounted dot.  After a few competitions, my buddies encouraged me to load up to Major and I made the switch. WOW, it shoots FLAT, FLAT! 

If you can find a Czechmate, go for it as you can shoot it in 2 divisions (3 if you convert to DA)

I find there is noticeable difference between slide mounted and dovetail mounted.   When I went all optic years ago, I put a CZC multisight dovetail adapter on my TS and shot it in SCSA Open.   I also used it for local plate and pin matches.  Never came loose.  I currently switching it out for a dovetail SRO mount.  I don't have the correct locating pins for the CZC adapter.

You are obviously able to adapt to multiple guns.  So, pick the one you like best.

I picked up an optic slide for my S2 orange. I had planned to use it in LO. Then I got bored and put an optic top on a spare 2011. I was looking at the TS before that. I would grab one if it popped up locally at a decent price.