Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SCSA - Limited Optics

Hoops

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Tier 3 match requires 10 or more shooters for Division recognition.

At Area 6 this year, there were 18 Open shooters.  Splitting them into Open and Limited Optics results in one, and possibly neither, group being big enough for a recognition award.

image.png.20311538021e48a270d3c8428a25df23.png

I originally shot SCSA in Open with my Limited gun, dovetail mounted optic, and 140 PF ammo.  Then I built a dedicated 1911 Open gun and shot it with 150 PF ammo.  Now I use my backup 2011 Open gun with factory 115s or 132 PF reloads.  The only difference is the 1911 Open gun is less pleasant to shoot.

In SCSA I think LO and Open will have the same, or very similar peak times.  I don't understand the 10 second disparity between CO and Open.  The GMs I know who shoot both have essentially the same times.  The good, but non-GM shooters using good guns often beat out the Open shooters.    

I don't think it's 10 seconds worth of difference but there is some at my level (high M in CO and Opn.. until the end of the year anyway).  At the very top there might not be much since those are all going to be no-makeup runs and the makeups and marginal shot calling is where most of the delta is.

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2023 at 6:50 PM, ZackJones said:

This one is on me. At the Jan 2023 in person meeting I asked the BoD to exclude LO from SCSA as a provisional division. I wanted to see how well it would do in USPSA handgun matches and it's currently doing better than expected. I can see it being added in 2024 as a provisional division for SCSA. I would prefer to do provisional for one year to allow us to collect times to help us come up with a good set of Peak Stage Times for classification purposes. And no, club 13 won't become club 14 :). 

Two questions: (1) Would you shoot in an SCSA match as a provisional division and (2) would you just shoot your existing carry optics gun or would you buy one? 

I'd shoot it but with my CO gun. I wouldn't buy another gun to shoot it. 

@ZackJones,

Have you made a decision as to when we could expect to see LO in SCSA? 

Maybe add it in time for WSSC in late May or A4 in early April?

5 hours ago, joseywales said:

@ZackJones,

Have you made a decision as to when we could expect to see LO in SCSA? 

Maybe add it in time for WSSC in late May or A4 in early April?

In another post Zack suggested sending inquiries to him via direct email at zack@uspsa.org

@ZackJones

I recently was advised that me and one other from Area 4, were the only SCSA members requesting Limited Optics.

I started this topic on behalf of several friends who shoot LO in USPSA and were surprised and confused that it wasn’t approved by HQ for SCSA.

To those that have expressed their views against LO in SCSA, thank you for posting.

This topic has over 14,000 views (if I understand the 14k tag correctly).  Several have posted in favor of LO (thank you).  My opinion is only a small percentage of people who view/read topics make posts.

If you or any of your friends want LO in SCSA I would encourage you to send an email directly to @ZackJones at zack@uspsa.org

Hopefully, if enough emails are sent, Zack will be able to request the BOD’s to consider LO for SCSA.  

4 hours ago, Hoops said:

I recently was advised that me and one other from Area 4, were the only SCSA members requesting Limited Optics.

I started this topic on behalf of several friends who shoot LO in USPSA and were surprised and confused that it wasn’t approved by HQ for SCSA.

To those that have expressed their views against LO in SCSA, thank you for posting.

This topic has over 14,000 views (if I understand the 14k tag correctly).  Several have posted in favor of LO (thank you).  My opinion is only a small percentage of people who view/read topics make posts.

If you or any of your friends want LO in SCSA I would encourage you to send an email directly to @ZackJones at zack@uspsa.org

Hopefully, if enough emails are sent, Zack will be able to request the BOD’s to consider LO for SCSA.  

weather is nasty,, more people on their computers... 
Wouldnt matter to me really. SC seems to have a bunch of divisions.. Personally Id rather see revolver rimfire... as there actually is a competitive difference, unlike LO , Open and CO in SC.  Youd basically have 3 identical divisions. 
Comps dont matter sub minor, and I think the slide/vs frame mount isnt as big a deal with single shots on target,,, but eh whatevs..  SC matches I shoot are pretty small and I pretty much only look at the straight up listings. 

4 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Wouldnt matter to me really. SC seems to have a bunch of divisions.. Personally Id rather see revolver rimfire... as there actually is a competitive difference, unlike LO , Open and CO in SC.  Youd basically have 3 identical divisions. 
Comps dont matter sub minor, and I think the slide/vs frame mount isnt as big a deal with single shots on target,,, but eh whatevs..  SC matches I shoot are pretty small and I pretty much only look at the straight up listings. 

And rimfire revo  never made it off the ground 😔

11 hours ago, Joe4d said:

I would be all in on Rimfire Revolver!

Prior to our move to Idaho 5 years ago my wife and I shot the SLOSA match every month with 80 guns at every match (single gun match).  The SLOMO match was added to allow 2-guns.  The most months the regular match didn't break 30 guns, the SLOMO match around 40.  There are very few centerfire handguns in either of these matches.  An Action Pistol/Rifle match has been added which appears to use USPSA-type scoring.  In our current locale an Action Steel match is now being offered.

Given the discussions regarding the convergence of performance among CO, LO (if added), and OPN doesn't it make sense  to a)combine CO/LO/OPN into Centerfire Open; b) combine Production and Limited into Centerfire Irons?  Is the current trend likely to change? 

No.  Despite .22 being a huge percentage of matches, there are tangible scoring differences between most of the current centerfire divisions (there are a few that are on-par) so it makes about as much sense as lumping .22 optics and irons together.

On 8/15/2023 at 7:50 PM, ZackJones said:

This one is on me. At the Jan 2023 in person meeting I asked the BoD to exclude LO from SCSA as a provisional division. I wanted to see how well it would do in USPSA handgun matches and it's currently doing better than expected. I can see it being added in 2024 as a provisional division for SCSA. I would prefer to do provisional for one year to allow us to collect times to help us come up with a good set of Peak Stage Times for classification purposes. And no, club 13 won't become club 14 :). 

Two questions: (1) Would you shoot in an SCSA match as a provisional division and (2) would you just shoot your existing carry optics gun or would you buy one? 

I'd shoot it but with my CO gun. I wouldn't buy another gun to shoot it. 

That's my opinion as well. What is the practical difference between CO and LO in Steel Challenge? There is none.

6 minutes ago, GOF said:

That's my opinion as well. What is the practical difference between CO and LO in Steel Challenge? There is none

What's the practical difference between Production and Limited?

3 hours ago, GOF said:

That's my opinion as well. What is the practical difference between CO and LO in Steel Challenge? There is none.

3 hours ago, GKB said:

What's the practical difference between Production and Limited?

Race holsters, magwells (not for reloads, for grip surface & leverage).  DA first shot & nicer triggers.

9 minutes ago, shred said:

Race holsters, magwells (not for reloads, for grip surface)

DA first shot & nicer triggers.

I can tune my SAO only Limited Optic gun much easier than CO gun.  SAO triggers are exceptional.  My magwell with bridged side skate tape locks my grip in tight.

i believe a GM shooting both guns will have a proportionally better time with a proper LO gun.

SAO is key.

IMO

I am pleased to announce that @ZackJones informed an A4 MD/GM friend of mine that Limited Optics for SC will be on the next BOD agenda.  Thank you Zack.

This it will be discussed by the board who ultimately will make the determination.

4 hours ago, hornetx40 said:

This really is simple. Allow the category of Limited optics for a year. If it gets enough shooters let it stay if not Kill it

That's a great idea. I think it will be a good class.

On 2/9/2024 at 4:13 PM, Hoops said:

I can tune my SAO only Limited Optic gun much easier than CO gun.  SAO triggers are exceptional.  My magwell with bridged side skate tape locks my grip in tight.

i believe a GM shooting both guns will have a proportionally better time with a proper LO gun.

SAO is key.

IMO

which makes the division meaningless... So I switch to a more expensive gun to shoot against other more expensive guns ? I will lose to and beat the exact same people,,, we will all just have a proportionally better time. Gun types will only matter at the top.

This topic is approaching 15,000 views.  I personally know from a close friend (USPSA GM) who has another social media platform that the interest in LO in SCSA is high.

I’m glad that LO will be presented to the BOD.  Hopefully the next BOD agenda will be posted soon.