Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold Bullets

gunner40sw

On 12/9/2023 at 7:00 PM, ColoradoNick said:

Don't they limit how much you can order? I'm just not interested in having to constantly check a website when there are other bullet makers that offer the same product with better availability and sometimes even a better price. Honest question what makes MG special? 

Do you mean collect 100k dollars worth of a component at cost? I'm not a manufacturer so no.... that doesn't make much sense. I do have enough components to reload for a couple of years though at my current rate of 25-30k rounds a year. 

Hi ColoradoNick,

yeah  there are often limits on large volume orders.

I suspect you can get all you can afford,  the limit often has

the factory production as a reason.

I suspect if you contacted any bullet maker, they could find a way to supply you with

the volume you seek in short order.

the nest question, is more difficult to answer

I screwed up my multiplication and added or lost a zero.

I was pretty much pointing out that a lot of inventory can be a lot of tied up cash.

A 125 Gn bullet is 56 bullets per pound

100k bullets is 1785 pounds of bullets.

if something besides 125 Gn bullets are going fast,

the 125s are useless inventory.

Far better to have not made them.

it was an attempt to point out there is little reason for MG to play inventory games.

I like MG bullets...

they seem to be consistent.

worth the small addition?

yeah. 

AND...I can only state that I tend to make my own bullets.

so that opinion has some age on it.

MG may have changed since my last purchase.

I can understand not wanting to check availability.

Assume the bullets are available and order.

they make the inventory...

miranda

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've shot MG 124 JHP exclusively for the last three years but today was the day I gave up on them and switched to PD 124 JHP V2.  Just ordered a case to try.  MG 124 JHP haven't been in stock for 25 weeks according to my bot.  I've been holding out as long as I could because I like them as do my three Open guns.  I ran out of projectiles last night...first time ever.  

52 minutes ago, LordManHammer said:

Well...I guess this answers all my questions! lol

Just as well they sell. Just seems like they had no desire to keep up with demand. Good bullets, but bullets you can actually get are better.

Over the past year and a half I've bought assorted bullets when I found them reasonably priced.  The problem is most places were limiting quantities allowed.  I lucked out and bought 6000 9mm 124 plated.  I was buying 9mm HAPS by the case, until they were no longer available.  Now they are, but exorbitantly expensive.  

Right now I have 1k or slightly under of eight assorted 9mm bullets (JHP, plated and coated).  My current plan is to shoot them all up this year.  Then standardize.  For 115 JHPs it will be PD 115 JHP v2.  When they are in stock again, I'll buy a couple cases.  I'll do the same as I was doing with the HAPs.  Open the last case, order another.  If I can work up acceptable 9mm minor and PCC loads using the 115s, I use them for everything once all the other stuff is gone.

That would be nice.  One bullet, three loads-major, minor and PCC.  I'd start with three cases of 3900.  When I got down to 10k, order another case.  That way I'll have enough bullets for almost a year if this crap happens again.  Same thing with primers.

7 hours ago, zzt said:

Over the past year and a half I've bought assorted bullets when I found them reasonably priced.  The problem is most places were limiting quantities allowed.  I lucked out and bought 6000 9mm 124 plated.  I was buying 9mm HAPS by the case, until they were no longer available.  Now they are, but exorbitantly expensive.  

Right now I have 1k or slightly under of eight assorted 9mm bullets (JHP, plated and coated).  My current plan is to shoot them all up this year.  Then standardize.  For 115 JHPs it will be PD 115 JHP v2.  When they are in stock again, I'll buy a couple cases.  I'll do the same as I was doing with the HAPs.  Open the last case, order another.  If I can work up acceptable 9mm minor and PCC loads using the 115s, I use them for everything once all the other stuff is gone.

That would be nice.  One bullet, three loads-major, minor and PCC.  I'd start with three cases of 3900.  When I got down to 10k, order another case.  That way I'll have enough bullets for almost a year if this crap happens again.  Same thing with primers.

In my forgetful old age I only load 9MAJOR with HP's. 9minor gets anything BUT HP's. I am leaning towards PD RN 124's

11 hours ago, Sarge said:

In my forgetful old age I only load 9MAJOR with HP's. 9minor gets anything BUT HP's. I am leaning towards PD RN 124's

Do yourself a favor and try the RMR 124 grain Match Winners.  They are always available and very accurate.  about a dime a piece.  

2 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Do yourself a favor and try the RMR 124 grain Match Winners.  They are always available and very accurate.  about a dime a piece.  

👍

6 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

👍👍 Or less when you catch a sale. 

16 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I laid in a good supply of these last summer and haven't regretted once. Beautiful bullets and they shoot great out of everything I've shot them through so far. I used to be a MG guy, but like many of you, the constantly having to check for them and not being able to have a reliable supply got frustrating. 

I have appreciated the MG 124's for their quality and consistency while I am reloading plus their design of a sealed bullet base (no exposed lead to hopefully reduce the amount of lead I'm breathing in) but the "catch them in stock" effort is a bit frustrating.... Will definitely consider the RMR 124 Match Winners.  Thanks for the recommendation.

11 minutes ago, shred said:

Does RMR have a 'sealed base' bullet or are they all exposed lead?

The matchwinners are truncated cones with exposed  led on the bottom.  They have a JHP Im thinking about trying for a couple cents more.  I called the LE rep for Hornady yesterday to see if I could get a hook up on some HAPs.

5 hours ago, shred said:

Does RMR have a 'sealed base' bullet or are they all exposed lead?

The Nuke, they were a regular JHP but they opened up the nose a bit for a SD bullet. I’ve tried them both and both shoot as good as the MW’s in my guns. 

22 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

The matchwinners are truncated cones with exposed  led on the bottom.  They have a JHP Im thinking about trying for a couple cents more.  I called the LE rep for Hornady yesterday to see if I could get a hook up on some HAPs.

If you are willing to pay the price, Widner's has cases available.