Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited optics Vs Open

Yoseppy

What are the benefits of a shooting limited optics vs open? Been saving for an Open gun but like the fact I can shoot the same minor ammo as my CO gun if I went limited optics. 

I’ve been looking at either the MPA open or the new MPA limited optics gun. Price is only a few hundred bucks one way or the other.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fewer good shooters, more chance of winning, minor scoring so more chance of finishing behind good shooters in other divisions (if you look at the overall results).

and of course you have to weigh the possibility that after a year, participation will be low and the division will go away.

16 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

fewer good shooters, more chance of winning, minor scoring so more chance of finishing behind good shooters in other divisions (if you look at the overall results).

and of course you have to weigh the possibility that after a year, participation will be low and the division will go away.

That last sentence is the biggest factor for me. I don’t really want to drop close to 4k on a gun that I could end up not shooting in competition.

21 minutes ago, Yoseppy said:

That last sentence is the biggest factor for me. I don’t really want to drop close to 4k on a gun that I could end up not shooting in competition.

Threshold of entry cost will vary from person to person. You can always just wait to see how popular the division is. Good luck.

31 minutes ago, Yoseppy said:

to me, LO offers zero advantages over CO. CO has good reliable, practical, competitive, reasonably priced guns that don't need any magic magazine tuning, and good competition.

I'd say the chance of LO going away entirely is probably pretty slim.  If they don't stick with a separate division, most likely they will roll SAO guns into CO.  Which they may do anyway.

52 minutes ago, Yoseppy said:

It's not going to go away. Assuming it stays its own division it will be one of the biggest 3 in just a few years. Or if they roll it in with CO it will be the biggest one period 

21 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

to me, LO offers zero advantages over CO. CO has good reliable, practical, competitive, reasonably priced guns that don't need any magic magazine tuning, and good competition.

😂 LO had everything CO does except for the competition, but that will be coming along shortly. And people get to use the guns they like, but keep making stuff up if you want 😂

I imagine if LO becomes an official division and has some years to grow/ mature, it will be the division where people who want to shoot fancy guns but are not interested in open will go. Think semi/custom 2011's with slide ride dots. Sort of what limited used to be when it was more popular, race guns with a bit less hassle than maintaining an open gun or loading major. 

Basically a race gun division for people who want to shoot minor is what I see it becoming. Or no one will care and it will go away entirely/ merge with CO

I believe that minor LO guns will have a place to play, however the division shakes out.  I don't see LO becoming a stand-alone division unless CO is changed to 40 oz/15 round limit or something similar.  The two are just too similar as is.  

1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

I believe that minor LO guns will have a place to play, however the division shakes out.  I don't see LO becoming a stand-alone division unless CO is changed to 40 oz/15 round limit or something similar.  The two are just too similar as is.  

I agree with this, and I would totally support a change to make CO more practical, and leave LO as the expensive custom gun division. I don't know which division I'd shoot if that happened.... might depend on where that weight cutoff was since my only CO gun is a shadow2. Or maybe when my eyesight dies off I'll just bolt a frame mount dot to my limited gun and shoot quiet open without a comp until I got convinced it was stupid.

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

I agree with this, and I would totally support a change to make CO more practical, and leave LO as the expensive custom gun division. I don't know which division I'd shoot if that happened.... might depend on where that weight cutoff was since my only CO gun is a shadow2. Or maybe when my eyesight dies off I'll just bolt a frame mount dot to my limited gun and shoot quiet open without a comp until I got convinced it was stupid.

I also would also rather see CO lite and LO vs rolling everything into one division.  It would make the most sense.  Either way, I think CO as we know it is going away.

30 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I also would also rather see CO lite and LO vs rolling everything into one division.  It would make the most sense.  Either way, I think CO as we know it is going away.

I have thought from the very beginning that this is the stealthy way to change CO by the BOD.  Granted it will take time to accomplish but it starts with LO.  It's hard to imagine magwells, slide rackers etc. being allowed in CO.  Most logical next step is to survey the members for combining CO and LO, probably next year.  Around the same time another member survey to modify CO rules to be more like IPSC Production Optics.  In 2 years, the "CO" transformation will be complete. 

9 hours ago, Yoseppy said:

these limited optics guns are heavily used in 2 & 3 gun.  used to be in open division but many matches now have a CO division that allows 2011's and of course the uspsa def'n of CO.

19 minutes ago, -JCN- said:

Seems closer to LO with magwells and SAO. 

Can you help me out? I’m an IDPA noob. 

If the question is which is the highest performance division in IDPA then it would be CO and in that sense it is IDPA's equivalent of Open which is USPSA's highest performance division.

If the question is which USPSA division matches up most closely in actual equipment rules with IDPA CO then it would be LO.

Edited by ddc

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

IDPA now allows comps and ports is CO with some stipulation as to what "incorporated" means.  

Good point. I'm aware of the new rules but haven't locked them into my brain yet.

On 3/5/2023 at 11:38 AM, ltdmstr said:

I'd say the chance of LO going away entirely is probably pretty slim.  If they don't stick with a separate division, most likely they will roll SAO guns into CO.  Which they may do anyway.

But they have to wait a year AFTER they decide LO doesn't work on its own to do that.