Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics Nationals

riden

Pre-registration for the June match in Ohio has been open for those with codes. The match looks to be almost full already before anyone else will even have a chance for standard registration. Going to be some very unhappy people - including me! Run into the same for the World Steel Shoot when trying to schedule to shoot with a few other guys.

2 hours ago, riden said:

Pre-registration for the June match in Ohio has been open for those with codes. The match looks to be almost full already before anyone else will even have a chance for standard registration. Going to be some very unhappy people - including me! Run into the same for the World Steel Shoot when trying to schedule to shoot with a few other guys.

The national championship rewards actual performance by giving preference to people who perform at a high level.  If you don't want scraps, your two options are 1) perform well enough at nationals or area matches that you get a slot 2) Show your section coordinator that you have interest in one of the participation activity slots assigned to the section.

Or you can complain.

47 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

Looks like plenty of slots available to me. The am/pm/am schedule has lots of availability. 

Yeah, it's nowhere near full. Should be easy for anyone who wants to get in with open registration, as long as they do it the morning it opens.

The WSSC is a much more challenging problem. We're not going this year, but the last 3 years Mrs moto and I used 2 separate computers, and had our cc info in an open text file to cut and paste quickly, and started registering the second it was open, and were able to get in with 4 guns and also squad together.

Another option that I heartily endorse for big matches is to simply work them. The staff compensation for nationals is pretty attractive, so it's not super-easy to get accepted as staff anymore unless you sign up early (and are not a jerk), but it's a fun time. Counting the prize table I broke even (or maybe made a couple $ profit) at singlestack nationals the last 2 years.

18 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

The national championship rewards actual performance by giving preference to people who perform at a high level.  If you don't want scraps, your two options are 1) perform well enough at nationals or area matches that you get a slot 2) Show your section coordinator that you have interest in one of the participation activity slots assigned to the section.

Or you can complain.

Have been in contact with the Area Coordinator. Since I am a B, looks like I better many of them already scheduled. 

Edited by riden

18 hours ago, motosapiens said:

Yeah, it's nowhere near full. Should be easy for anyone who wants to get in with open registration, as long as they do it the morning it opens.

The WSSC is a much more challenging problem. We're not going this year, but the last 3 years Mrs moto and I used 2 separate computers, and had our cc info in an open text file to cut and paste quickly, and started registering the second it was open, and were able to get in with 4 guns and also squad together.

Another option that I heartily endorse for big matches is to simply work them. The staff compensation for nationals is pretty attractive, so it's not super-easy to get accepted as staff anymore unless you sign up early (and are not a jerk), but it's a fun time. Counting the prize table I broke even (or maybe made a couple $ profit) at singlestack nationals the last 2 years.

Working the matches is an option had not thought of earlier. 

On 2/7/2023 at 6:43 PM, motosapiens said:

Why I will be working at the CO Nats this year.

Edited by vluc

• 1 month later...

When open registration went live, I signed up and the system was so loaded with people trying to make it in that as soon as I was done, I attempted to register my son, a junior shooter, and his registration is wait listed!!!

Super disappointed, but I hope that there will be enough people that drop out, that I can get him in.

5 minutes ago, Andy9 said:

When open registration went live, I signed up and the system was so loaded with people trying to make it in that as soon as I was done, I attempted to register my son, a junior shooter, and his registration is wait listed!!!

Super disappointed, but I hope that there will be enough people that drop out, that I can get him in.

You learned an important Practiscore lesson: never attempt to to 2 registrations in serial fashion for a popular match. When I used to go to Area 2, you had to be right on the spot since the match would fill in less than a minute (pre-pandemic). A second attempt would never make it! Get help to do the registrations, make sure autofill has the right stuff remembered and have your credit card number available for cut and past into PS. Choose the right device also. Phone/tablet may not be as efficient as a desktop device. 

I hope it goes well for you and your son! Good luck at the Nats...

ChuckS

18 minutes ago, Andy9 said:

I did have everything set up to copy and paste...... but I should have used 2 devises. 

keeping my fingers crossed, still a little while to go. 🤔

One person per registration! Trust me 😉

Someone told me it took 6 minutes to fill, but maybe that was optimistic.  

That said, it's months away and I've gotten in off wait lists placed days after nationals opened before.  Usually slots open a bit before the refund deadlines.

Bigger roll of the dice is to show up cash in hand at registration.  There's always no-shows and last I heard the odds were pretty good of getting in that way.

On 3/16/2023 at 8:20 PM, John Whidden said:

Does anyone know how many total slots there are, and how many were left for us in "coach" class?

Don't remember total right offhand, but I recall that right before open registration occurred, there were still over 100 empty squad slots available.

56 minutes ago, -JCN- said:

This is a strong argument against LO into CO… at some point, logistical capacity of ranges limits participation. 

eh,,,, 
LO isnt going to change participation. Just have people move from one division to another.
Production added participation big time,, but I dont think any new division or rule set after has changed much.

8 hours ago, Joe4d said:

eh,,,, 
LO isnt going to change participation. Just have people move from one division to another.
Production added participation big time,, but I dont think any new division or rule set after has changed much.

Disagree. 

Participation is increasing PLUS people are switching away from irons.

If people can’t get into Nationals already, then having an option for an alternate Nats is a better choice than them not going. 

35 minutes ago, -JCN- said:

Disagree. 

Participation is increasing PLUS people are switching away from irons.

If people can’t get into Nationals already, then having an option for an alternate Nats is a better choice than them not going. 

agreed. lim optics/open nationals, and then do a 1 day pcc thing as an afterthough if you can get the RO's to hang around.  ;)

3 hours ago, motosapiens said:

agreed. lim optics/open nationals, and then do a 1 day pcc thing as an afterthough if you can get the RO's to hang around.  ;)

So, are you going to pay my room and expenses to hang for another day?  CO Nationals is already 5 days plus 4 days travel.   I'm retired so I won't miss work.

1 hour ago, AKGrahamw said:

So, are you going to pay my room and expenses to hang for another day?  CO Nationals is already 5 days plus 4 days travel.   I'm retired so I won't miss work.

Doesn’t USPSA already cover that?